*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
It is on without any problems. I even found out how to put the taskbar back to the left hand side instead of the middle. I got rid of a few MS apps. Not really noticed anything apart from the widgets

Caporegime
Stock cpu.

AsH9kwE.png

Ok, that's pretty much bang on, thank you :)

--------------------

For those who don't know what they are looking for in the BIOS this is what it looks like. These are screenshots of my BIOS.

You shouldn't have to bother with even going in to the Trusted Computing settings screen, i left everything as it was set and the Windows 11 compatibility tool said i was ready to go at that, but if you want to look in there to compare its the second image.

iHerVKv.png

NdISM1l.png

Soldato
I see my old spare laptop fails on the CPU only. Everything else passes. Will that be an issue?

I'm running on an old 3rd gen i7 with no TPM and I had to use the GitHub hack to get it to allow me to install. Once installed, everything seems OK.

I quite like it so far, the only thing I'm missing is the thumbnail preview on folder icons and I can't seem to find out how to turn it back on.

Soldato
Nothing ventured.......and all of that.

Ok So main PC now on W11, update via assistant went fine with zero issues.
Taskbar moved to the left and shortcut arrows gone.

But where is the previous right click on the taskbar to bring up the explorer type Window "Task Manager" which would show you CPU usage etc etc etc. I don't get that option now..?

Thanks

EDIT: Found it......right click on the Start button and select "Task Manager"

Other goodies are there also.

Associate
Nothing ventured.......and all of that.

Ok So main PC now on W11, update via assistant went fine with zero issues.
Taskbar moved to the left and shortcut arrows gone.

But where is the previous right click on the taskbar to bring up the explorer type Window "Task Manager" which would show you CPU usage etc etc etc. I don't get that option now..?

Thanks

EDIT: Found it......right click on the Start button and select "Task Manager"

Other goodies are there also.
Right click on windows icon. and it about in the middle

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Used the Win 11 Upgrade Assistant twice today, one 2700X and one 5950X based PC all done.

Once I’d enabled fTPM in the BIOS the upgrades only took about 45 mins.

So far so good but been gardening ever since and won’t have a chance to game until tonight.

Do we know when we might get Direct Storage and Nvidia IO enabled yet? I may have to start shopping for a larger NVMe, preferably before someone buys them all up and puts them on eBay for twice their value!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ok, so installed on my laptop. It was a quick and pain-free upgrade. Had a little play about with it and not particularly impressed. Seems a little half baked some of the menu choices. Overall the system feels a little less snappy too.

I did fancy doing a clean install on my PC, but I shall not be bothering. Will keep Windows 10 for at least 2 major updates of Windows 11 I recon. I have it on the laptop so that will satisfy me using it until then.

Well I am satisfied that 11 is stable and decent enough to keep on full time so have deleted the previous windows install in the cleanup wizard saving a massive 12GB. It's all 11 from here on. The latency delay on right clicking context menu items is even more obvious when you right click the start button itself which shows the menu instantly. Just the start button though, all other taskbar icons have the same latency delay as desktop and folder items. An annoying thing to get used to I guess which they may or may not address in a future update. Surprised it's not something that was looked into with all the beta/dev channel insider testing...
Yeah, just does not feel as snappy as Windows 10 for me and my laptop is no slouch. Has NVME drives and a Ryzen 7 4800H.

How long should it take to install? Mines been stuck on 25% for almost an hour. Doing an upgrade from win 10 via usb created from mct
Either slow PC/Laptop or something went wrong. Mine would have installed it many times over in that time.

Has anyone ran any performance comparisons yet between Win 10 and Win 11.

Lots of stories about significant performance drops.

Anyone here with a 5800X or other Zen 3 CPU?

We will soon see loads of articles and videos. I personally won’t be touching it on my main rig for a good year based on what I have seen so far. Just not seen anything worth making the change over other than curiosity (which has been satisfied for me on my laptop). Give it a few major updates and it will be where it should have been now I recon.

I mean unless one has a good HDR screen, I see no point in rushing.

*** quoted post and discussion removed - Armageus ***

Last edited by a moderator:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I just enabled fTPM on one of my systems running a Ryzen 2400g. So got that part of the compatibility sorted, but the CPU itself is still unsupported. Is it going to block me from installing W11?
Won’t block you no. May complain about not giving all the updates or something though. I would not bother personally, but your call.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just installed StartIsBack and am very happy to have a nice taskbar, context menus and start menu back and customised how I like!

https://www.startallback.com/

desktop_startisback_win11.jpg

And I found some old desktop screens from 2010, how things have moved since then lol.

batword.jpg

Soldato
So I can't download Windows 11. On windows update screen its saying:

"This PC doesn't currently meet all the system requirements for Windows 11".

It then directs me to download the PC Health Check. The PC Health Check says "This PC meets Windows 11 requirements".

Not sure what to do? I have TPM enable too. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom