Windows 11 problem

Associate
Hi

Im running Windows 10 home ran the windows 11 health check and got few errors, what can I do to be ready for Windows 11?

windows11.jpg

Will I be forced to download Win11 or do I have choice to stay.

Soldato
Some of the Windows 11 requirements can be bypassed, but really your CPU is very old hat now. Realistically you're looking at upgrading if you want to maintain a nice experience. Or just install Linux on it.

I daresay there'll be an overlap of support for Windows 10, as there has been in the past. It won't last long, however, and you'll soon be back to needing an upgrade (of both OS and hardware). As for the errors, Secure Boot is an option in your UEFI (if your motherboard is new enough). TMP is a Trusted Platform Module, something that handles encryption keys. Again, usually built into your motherboard or a newer CPU. The CPU being too old means just that - it's not supported.

Soldato
Keep running Windows 10 until 2025.
Then buy a new system for Windows 11 (or whatever version exists at the time)
or install Linux
or use Windows 10 for longer (if Microsoft end up having to provide support for Windows 10 for longer like they did for XP/7).

Caporegime
It's ridiculous they are making it seem like cpus only a few years old are unsupported. For many (Inc myself) I just don't need a new one.

Then you can bypass. So seems a bit odd. Unless it's just to avoid people installing on a 20 year old device and having a rant.

Now MS can say.. Sorry. Unsupported

Soldato
It's ridiculous they are making it seem like cpus only a few years old are unsupported. For many (Inc myself) I just don't need a new one.

Then you can bypass. So seems a bit odd. Unless it's just to avoid people installing on a 20 year old device and having a rant.

Now MS can say.. Sorry. Unsupported

It's for security reasons.

OK, the line they've drawn as regards CPU support is arbitrary, but it's cause MS can't be arsed testing on anything older than a couple of years. There's no reason my 6th Gen ThinkPad laptop can't run it, it's got secure boot and TPM support.

With an world environmental conference occurring in a couple weeks it does seem particularly egregious, as replacing perfectly good hardware for W11 from the Skylake gen onwards will generate vast quantities of e-waste.

fx-6300 not good enough for windows yeh ok.

It isn't - it's a 10+ year old architecture that doesn't meet the security requirements. AMD FX delusionals can carry on running Windows 10. Slowly. Whilst wasting lots of electricity.

Soldato
If your amd CPU has it then turning on ftpm
In the bios sorts out the TPM problem
Without needing an actual TPM module
As said you can bypass the checks/requirements
If you are going to clean install windows 11
By using something like mediacreationtool.bat
To download an ISO without the checks/requirements on it
Not to be confused with the actual Microsoft media creation tool
Or if upgrading by using a registry hack

Associate
If your amd CPU has it then turning on ftpm
In the bios sorts out the TPM problem
Without needing an actual TPM module
As said you can bypass the checks/requirements
If you are going to clean install windows 11
By using something like mediacreationtool.bat
To download an ISO without the checks/requirements on it
Not to be confused with the actual Microsoft media creation tool
Or if upgrading by using a registry hack

without a physical TPM, what does using the CPU fundamentally mean if the CPU fails ?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I read the only issue suing fTPM would be if you flashed the BIOS/reset it etc then your stored encryption keys would be gone. If you don't use BitLocker or other encryption though then there's nothing to be concerned about, it's just a feature you're turning on to get Windows to detect and then play ball.

Permabanned
I read the only issue suing fTPM would be if you flashed the BIOS/reset it etc then your stored encryption keys would be gone. If you don't use BitLocker or other encryption though then there's nothing to be concerned about, it's just a feature you're turning on to get Windows to detect and then play ball.

exactly

Soldato
Had it a couple times
Your TPM has gone wonky blah blah
Can't remember the precise details it said at boot
But basically just says do you want to reset it
Yes or no?
Worked fine afterwards each time it happened
Though can't honestly think if had disabled bitlocker by then

Back
Top Bottom