*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Don
Think I will stick with Win 10 until I move down under in 2023, then buy a new pc, and THEN I will embrace Win 11.
In most cases it's probably worth waiting 6 months or so before jumping to 11, by then there will likely have been a few updates to fix some of the more annoying issues and rough edges.

Why on earth are you people installing startisback. Do you realise you can just either leave windows 10 on or move the menu to the left side in settings? You just wasting your money and time.
I have no idea - aside from a new start menu and taskbar that no one here seems to want anyway, I can't see the rush to upgrade.

Associate
Every windows release its like a rush to get it to look like the previous version :D I like the new win 11 its fresh and to me seems well laid out, nothing like win 8 was like. if you like win 10 then stick to it, supported for another 5 years. i will stick with win 11 as i like it.

Permabanned
OP
Another way to bypass is just to use the install.wim from a windows 11 ISO to a windows 10 ISO then boot as if it was windows 10 but in reality it's installing the windows 11 image files.

Every windows release its like a rush to get it to look like the previous version :D I like the new win 11 its fresh and to me seems well laid out, nothing like win 8 was like. if you like win 10 then stick to it, supported for another 5 years. i will stick with win 11 as i like it.

I have to admit I really do like the windows 11 default menu over the windows 10 default menu.

Feels finished and polished.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
How the hell do I remove the "Recommended" section from the new start menu entirely? I can find the switches in Settings to not populate it, but then it just leaves a big ol' empty bunch of space in the start menu headed "Recommended" that isn't doing anything.

Permabanned
OP
How the hell do I remove the "Recommended" section from the new start menu entirely? I can find the switches in Settings to not populate it, but then it just leaves a big ol' empty bunch of space in the start menu headed "Recommended" that isn't doing anything.

Microsoft has screwed up here I think. That space could have been used for apps or widgets.

I haven't found a setting yet to use this space as something else.

Soldato
So I have been using this program for years to stop my pc from sleeping while streaming my media onto other devices around the house but now it wont work on win11 as it wont sleep the pc when its idle.... How do you guys manage because unless the server app tells windows not to sleep, windows will sleep when streaming media........

uI5qGhQ.jpg

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Microsoft has screwed up here I think. That space could have been used for apps or widgets.

I haven't found a setting yet to use this space as something else.

Yep, looking like I can't do that.

Here's what my start menu currently looks like:

Vb5kjVN.png

I don't need or want anything else pinned there particularly. I have taskbar and desktop shortcuts for anything else that's used frequently, and the all apps page (which, while I'm ranting and raving, also has a bunch of wasted space since it remains at the full width of the start menu when you click into it!) for anything used infrequently. That's a lot of screen real estate being used for five shortcuts, four if I remove the Task Manager one now that I'm training my brain to right-click the start button instead of the taskbar.

Genuinely don't get how that's an improvement on the 10 menu. I'd have 8/8.1's start screen back over this, at least there were third party tools to make custom launcher tiles for it...

Caporegime
Genuinely don't get how that's an improvement on the 10 menu. I'd have 8/8.1's start screen back over this, at least there were third party tools to make custom launcher tiles for it...

I agree, it feels like the start menu wants to be iPad OS. Trying to mash together mouse and touch friendly interfaces has never worked well that I can think of.

Permabanned
OP
replacing install.esd from windows 11 ISO to a windows 10 ISO works.

You can install bypassing all restrictions. :D it thinks it's windows 10 but installs windows 11 instead.

Just tested it on a live system and a vm and both install without no problems.

Soldato
So I have been using this program for years to stop my pc from sleeping while streaming my media onto other devices around the house but now it wont work on win11 as it wont sleep the pc when its idle.... How do you guys manage because unless the server app tells windows not to sleep, windows will sleep when streaming media........

uI5qGhQ.jpg

You really dont need this app.

Years ago I used Windows 8.1 and 10 to streaming media to device while it never sleep.

Go to Settings > System > Power, find When plugged in, put my device to sleep after and set it to Never.

HRL

HRL

Soldato

+1. No issues with either of my installs, both with Ryzen CPU’s.

However, haters gonna hate regardless.

Associate
Id love to upgrade to Windows 11, but Im not one that likes upgrading current OS as it feel like it mess about some stuff (going by my experience going from Windows 7 to 10 anyway) but im too lazy to spend time getting all my programs back and installed :D

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Id love to upgrade to Windows 11, but Im not one that likes upgrading current OS as it feel like it mess about some stuff (going by my experience going from Windows 7 to 10 anyway) but im too lazy to spend time getting all my programs back and installed :D

Aside from the Win11-specific annoyances the upgrade went smoothly here. No reinstalling anything, no having to re-alter default programs.

Back
Top Bottom