Sky glass

Man of Honour
What's the point them offering a high spec picture quality TV when their broadcast PQ is so poor.

I'm convinced they lowered their HD broadcast quality to make their so call 4k broadcast image look better by comparison.

Caporegime
What's the point them offering a high spec picture quality TV when their broadcast PQ is so poor.

I'm convinced they lowered their HD broadcast quality to make their so call 4k broadcast image look better by comparison.
So as this is streaming rather than via dish it will depend more on your internet speed than the quality of broadcast?

Associate
Tech wise for 65” at £1000 with decent speaker setup isn’t bad really…. Might grab one for the living room & move my C9 into the bedroom

Man of Honour
So as this is streaming rather than via dish it will depend more on your internet speed than the quality of broadcast?

Still depends on their video encoding and their maximum bitrate. Again, if their on demand PQ is anything to go by, then it's no better than broadcast quality.

Either way, it's not for me or probably even aimed at me. I just wished they'd sort basic issues with the Sky Q box. Like it constantly forgetting it's connected to a 4k TV when I wan to watch 4k recordings. Or it randomly recording crap I never have or will watch, but totally not recording the F1 that I've had on series link for over 18 months.

Their past foray into hardware didn't exactly set the world on fire with the Sky Soundbox.

Soldato
Hmm, I wondered what was next as Sky Q is a few years old now, wasn't really expecting this.

"Plug and play" users will probably be blown away, calibration somewhat already done possibly but I guess we are not really the target market.

Will be interested to see reviews etc

Last edited:
Caporegime
Still depends on their video encoding and their maximum bitrate. Again, if their on demand PQ is anything to go by, then it's no better than broadcast quality.

Either way, it's not for me or probably even aimed at me. I just wished they'd sort basic issues with the Sky Q box. Like it constantly forgetting it's connected to a 4k TV when I wan to watch 4k recordings. Or it randomly recording crap I never have or will watch, but totally not recording the F1 that I've had on series link for over 18 months.

Their past foray into hardware didn't exactly set the world on fire with the Sky Soundbox.
Soundbox was a decent ‘one box plug and play’ solution if you were a sky subscriber. Compared to 95% of flat screen TVs it gave much better sound and integration with Sky Q. No one who already had a 5.1 or even 7.1 setup was ever going to buy one.

Soldato
Going into hardware when everyone else is going into software is a strange decision. But looks decent enough. As others have said, I suspect none of us here are the target market.

Soldato

Mines always doing that, resets to 1080i. Very frustrating. Didn't seem to do it when it was connected through my amp though.

Soldato
Tech wise for 65” at £1000 with decent speaker setup isn’t bad really…. Might grab one for the living room & move my C9 into the bedroom
It sounds decent but almost certain your C9 will have better picture quality.

It is a qled TV though and apparently has a full array local dimming panel (though apparently not many zones) so should be decent.

Bar the ability to buy these 0% interest over a long period of time I don't see the appeal Vs the competition. Likely better off with 65X90J which by Black Friday will be same price at 65 inch for example.

Soldato

From reading the first article sounds like they are selling them at a loss and recoup via the sub bit like MS and Sony do with the Playstation and Xbox.

Sky Glass link

https://www.sky.com/glass?irct=homepage-glass

The Dusky Pink one looks hideous !

Also how many of these TV's will turn up with damaged screens by the courier ! :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
Collected the mail from sky this afternoon and the receptionist was banging on about their new great product. Looks interesting enough but as with anything over broadband it’s only as good as ur connection. Atleast with the dish you get signal near enough all the time.

Caporegime
Collected the mail from sky this afternoon and the receptionist was banging on about their new great product. Looks interesting enough but as with anything over broadband it’s only as good as ur connection. At least with the dish you get signal near enough all the time.
This is true, but many are unable to have a dish as well due to living in a flat or somewhere that doesn't allow dishes or the signal is blocked by something. This will be great for them.

Associate
This is true, but many are unable to have a dish as well due to living in a flat or somewhere that doesn't allow dishes or the signal is blocked by something. This will be great for them.

yeah I can see the need for such a service but why the whole tv. Why not just a box that you can use with any tv?

now if you need a new tv as well then great it works well but what if you have a new tv or a better one then sky offer.

Back
Top Bottom