When are you going fully electric?

Caporegime
Can't read without signing up :(

Audi has stated that it will become an all-electric manufacturer by the end of this decade – but in the meantime the company is planning a last hurrah for combustion engines on a new, potentially final version of its A4 compact executive.

Expected to arrive in 2023, the next Audi A4 will stay on the same MLB platform as the current generation. But while it will feature increased electrification, including mild and plug-in hybrids, it will still be based on a new generation of petrol and diesel engines, described by Audi’s head of technical development, Oliver Hoffman, as “the best we have ever launched”.

• Audi%20A6%20e-tron%20concept%20-6.jpg

New Audi A6 e-tron concept unveiled at the 2021 Shanghai Motor Show
Speaking exclusively to Auto Express, Hoffman said the A4, which makes up around a fifth of Audi’s global sales, is a “super-important” model for the firm.

“The development of the next generation of A4 is under way,” he told us. “We’ll offer that car, and the A6, for a lot of years. Production of the last new combustion-engined model will begin in 2025 and end with a normal lifecycle in 2033. But we will launch some models a lot earlier.”

The A4 is expected to fit that timeline by arriving in 2023, and while a diesel version will be available, the bulk of the line-up will use a further development of the VW Group’s ubiquitous EA888 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine.

VW is said to have been working on variable-section turbines within the turbocharger, designed to improve throttle response at low speeds while delivering higher overall power outputs. We should expect a higher pressure of fuel injection, too, not least because right now the 2.0-litre motor is beaten on that score by the more modest 1.5-litre TSI unit that features in many SEATs, Skodas and VWs.

Hoffman said that the new petrol engines will feature “more electrification, for sure, to meet the regs”, and this is likely to include beefed-up 48-volt tech for the mild-hybrid versions and a larger battery, mounted on the rear axle, for plug-in hybrid versions.

We can expect the A4 PHEVs to match other MLB models, notably the Q5, with a usable capacity of 14.4kWh; this should allow Audi’s engineers to take aim at the 62 miles of electric range offered by the latest Mercedes C 300 e.

The A4’s chassis set-up will remain largely unchanged, although the 48-volt electrics will offer greater scope for technology such as active anti-roll bars to be offered as options, or standard on higher-performance variants.

Our exclusive image shows how the A4 will evolve, taking cues from Audi’s electric production cars and concepts, while staying true to its existing proportions. It’s expected to be only a few millimetres longer, while the wheelbase will be largely the same.

Inside, the step up to 48v will bring greater connectivity, as part of a pared-back dashboard that will feature even fewer physical controls. Audi’s engineers will be able to shrink the centre console around toggle gear selectors, because the car is likely to be offered with only dual-clutch and torque-converter automatic gearboxes.

Despite the decision to retain petrol and diesel engines, Audi could also offer a pure-electric version, to give it a rival for the likes of BMW’s much-vaunted all-electric i4, as well as the Tesla Model 3. It would look similar to the conventional models but not identical.

When asked directly if an all-electric A4 (likely to be badged A4 e-tron) could be sold alongside the regular versions, Hoffman said: “We are really happy to have a strong partnership within the Group – with Porsche for PPE [platform], with VW for MEB [platform], and our own platform, the MLB. We have the power to develop and produce dedicated platforms for most technologies.

“We’ve looked at a platform where we can have both powertrains, but it’s a compromise. So I’m really happy that we are able and we have the power to do both.”

It seems likely that such a car would arrive later in the A4’s life, using either a modified version of the PPE platform that will sit under the forthcoming Q6 e-tron, or the VW Group’s unified SSP architecture, which is expected by 2025.

Soldato
Sounds like there will be an all electric A4 within a couple of years of the ICE launch then, I figured they'd said 'no EV version until 2030' or something the way it was commented as 'no EV version for a long time'

Soldato
Sounds like there will be an all electric A4 within a couple of years of the ICE launch then,

They state "It seems likely that such a car would arrive later in the A4’s life" and given the current A4 was from 2016, and the new one is not out until 2023, then I'd say late would be the last 1/3 of it's life span, so 2026-7 at the earliest.

Soldato
I wouldn't necessarily interpret later as meaning 'late' in absolute terms in that context, just later than the rest and 2025 as previously suggested in reports in the summer is 'later' than 2023.

Soldato
I wouldn't necessarily interpret later as meaning 'late' in absolute terms in that context, just later than the rest and 2025 as previously suggested in reports in the summer is 'later' than 2023.

Even being optimistic and saying 2025 it is still way to late if they want to keep selling the volume of cars in that style/segment though (in the EU/UK) I'd be awfully surpised if they stick to that schedule and let all the other manufacturers gobble up their market share.

Soldato
I'd guess they're banking on customers wanting to wait a year or two for a vehicle on a dedicated EV platform, compared to the 3 series say, which last I read was going to be introduced as an ICE platform bodge with a ground up EV design not following until the next generation.

Soldato
Seems like Audi/VAG are happy keeping both feet firmly in the past for the next generation of A4, no all-electric version to be offered for a long time. So unless you want an SUV or a sport GT type affair then Audi is going to be making a slow but steady loss of sales to others vendors.

How can VW be so progressive, and VAG be so backwards both at the same time? :confused:

You could argue VW have done the same with the Golf and the ID. Models now take up the EV helm, maybe Audi have a longer game planned when they merge MEB & PPE into this new SSP platform from 2026. Of course we haven’t really seen the premium PPE cars yet, first should be Macan EV.

Soldato
Nice suprise tonight, car got better and works really well.

5rqfQYF.jpg

I have been reluctant to plug in constantly with USB-C and cooking the phone so this give more flexibility. In car system (Pivi Pro) also has message dictation now

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m not close to most infotainment to know what my expectations should be…. not sure what the EV aspect has to do specifically with infotainment which begs the question why did I post it in here.

My Velar in 2018 got an update to push CarPlay to the car and then this to existing cars I thought was pretty cool, no fee, no subscription. Or is cars getting better with time only a Tesla strap line?

Last edited:
Soldato
Even being optimistic and saying 2025 it is still way to late if they want to keep selling the volume of cars in that style/segment though (in the EU/UK) I'd be awfully surpised if they stick to that schedule and let all the other manufacturers gobble up their market share.

the i4 is more expensive than tesla 3, perhaps, because, they haven't got a dedicated platform, which may inhibit i4 sales, no estate variant either;
so Audi A4 and even Jag might be prudent to wait until they can see i4 sales, demand for saloons, before leap-frogging in with a dedicated (& better priced) platform.
Do we know if the electric A6 will really be a saloon or, does it have height of a cross-over.

Whether better battery density too, will open up better optimised saloon platform designs, not currently available.

Man of Honour
I’m not close to most infotainment to know what my expectations should be…. not sure what the EV aspect has to do specifically with infotainment which begs the question why did I post it in here.

My Velar got an update to push CarPlay to the car and then this to existing cars I thought was pretty cool, no fee, no subscription. Or is cars getting better with time only a Tesla strap line?

Whilst expensive new cars finally getting features retrofitted which they should have had in the first place and are standard on a small Kia hatchback is good, let's not pretend it's an amazing benefit :p

Soldato
the i4 is more expensive than tesla 3, perhaps, because, they haven't got a dedicated platform, which may inhibit i4 sales, no estate variant either;
so Audi A4 and even Jag might be prudent to wait until they can see i4 sales, demand for saloons, before leap-frogging in with a dedicated (& better priced) platform.
Do we know if the electric A6 will really be a saloon or, does it have height of a cross-over.

Whether better battery density too, will open up better optimised saloon platform designs, not currently available.

Or it’s more like they don’t want to compete directly with the Model 3, everyone compared everything with a Tesla at the end of the day.

They’ve built a more premium car and priced it accordingly and Audi just haven’t bothered.

There is more money in crossovers/SUVs anyway so they may well just be happy to give up market share in that segment at the moment while concentrating on more profitable segments.

Back
Top Bottom