Vehicle Registration Offences (Penalty Points) Bill

Underboss
Just shows how short sighted people are because they think it will "teach em good".

The people this is supposed to be targeting (bikers with small rear plates) will still be just as unidentifiable and untraceable as they currently are.

However now people who may have been pulled for an oversight (a dirty plate for example in the middle of winter) and may have been given a stern warning or maybe 100 notes fine if they got a copper in a bad mood could be looking at upto £1000 fine and 3 points.

Points should be used when someone is a risk to other drivers, not as a punishment for minor transgressions.

its called ANPR when a car gets stolen, if they cant read the plate it will get missed, what's the issue ?

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
That's the trouble with over-reach. Whilst it sounds like a great bill with no downsides as "only people doing something illegal" have to worry, what can and very probably will happen at some point is someone with a "dirty" plate (maybe they've been driving behind a tractor etc) will get done by an over officious officer, who can now issue points and a bigger fine for something that previously was a simple word or, worst case, a small fine.

History has taught us that "the intended" target of a law will never, ever, be the only person actually targeted.

Exactly.

My plates are fully legal, front and back, but I find this a problematic bill because it will lead to other things ending up as "points offenses".

How about if your passenger takes their seatbelt off, currently you get a fine 100 quid. This is the kind of bill that would extend to, your passenger takes their seatbelt off, 3 points for the driver.

Soldato
Exactly.

My plates are fully legal, front and back, but I find this a problematic bill because it will lead to other things ending up as "points offenses".

How about if your passenger takes their seatbelt off, currently you get a fine 100 quid. This is the kind of bill that would extend to, your passenger takes their seatbelt off, 3 points for the driver.
Also a very good idea. Keep em coming!

Soldato
Just shows how short sighted people are because they think it will "teach em good".

The people this is supposed to be targeting (bikers with small rear plates) will still be just as unidentifiable and untraceable as they currently are.

However now people who may have been pulled for an oversight (a dirty plate for example in the middle of winter) and may have been given a stern warning or maybe 100 notes fine if they got a copper in a bad mood could be looking at upto £1000 fine and 3 points.

Points should be used when someone is a risk to other drivers, not as a punishment for minor transgressions.

So keep your plates clean?

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
So keep your plates clean?

Following a car down a country lane. Your front plate gets splattered from kick up. Enjoy 3 points.

Not even on a lane, motorway spray can be just as effective in taking a number plate from legal to not.

And yet, none of this helps address the issue of why the bill was introduced. Just targets unlucky motorists with legal overreach.

Soldato
Following a car down a country lane. Your front plate gets splattered from kick up. Enjoy 3 points.

Not even on a lane, motorway spray can be just as effective in taking a number plate from legal to not.

And yet, none of this helps address the issue of why the bill was introduced. Just targets unlucky motorists with legal overreach.

Err no. Stop tailgating.

Commissario

And you then refuse the FPN and argue in court with a trio of magistrates who will tend to take the sensible side of things.

No one is realistically going to get done for a dirty number plate unless the rest of the car is spotless...I've actually seen a first hand account from a police officer who pulled one idiot for speeding and gave him a wet cloth to clean the filthy plate at the side of the road before he allowed him to continue, the rest of the car apparently looked like it had just been washed, the number plate however was oddly covered in mud like someone had applied it on purpose or very deliberately taken steps to avoid cleaning it.
As he put it (from memory) it was obvious that the guy had tried to obscure the plate to avoid ANPR but it was far easier to give him a rag they kept in the car than to do anything else especially as the guy had been a real idiot.

The law already calls for your vehicle registration to be displayed clearly, now whilst they don't explicitly say "keep it clean enough to read" the intent is there but you have a very good excuse for not having it spotless*, unlike if you've actively gone out to get a plate that flatly breaches the legal requirements.

There are unfortunately a subset of people who will see any motoring penalty that is purely financial as nothing more than the cost of having their way, it's the reason we ended up with points for using your phone as people didn't consider a £70 fine when they got caught a penalty worth worrying about.

*I can't remember the last time I saw a number plate that was too dirty to read (commercial drivers who work in/around mud tend to clean them off, even if the rest of the vehicle is filthy), plates that are obviously made to try and confuse ANPR/people on the other hand I see virtually every time I go out.

Last edited:
Soldato
:rolleyes:

Engage brain if its possible before replying thanks.

Lol really. I've never seen a plate dirty enough not to read just from general driving. If you are getting mud splashed onto your vehicle that is obscuring your plate you are either driving too close or too fast for the conditions, most likely both.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Lol really. I've never seen a plate dirty enough not to read just from general driving. If you are getting mud splashed onto your vehicle that is obscuring your plate you ate either driving too close or too fast for the conditions, most likely both.

Lol.

You obviously havent ever driven in winter before. Try it this year, maybe you'll learn something.

Soldato
Will it really make a difference though? There are barely enough traffic officers to enforce the rules we already have.

Wrongly spaced plates are annoying, and just make people look like idiots. Missing front plates just make people look narcissistic, and pretentious.

Soldato
I think in extreme cases that's fine.. like this for e.g.

9sxonnPX.jpg

Tznj6kVR.jpg

CtoXq8X9.jpg

Stolen from PH but that is taking the pee..

Meant to say "m1 jvy" but it's been butchered.

In a case where someone moves a space to a different spot it's a bit of a no Biggie imo. So getting points for the above? Fair enough.. getting points for moving a space? Bit too much.

Last edited:
Associate
No one is getting 3 points for a dirty plate in winter. There's too many around my way who think the rules don't apply to them regarding number plates, good to see the rules get proper teeth

Soldato
I wholly concur with points and a fine for deliberately trying to circumvent the law regarding number plates, anyone who doesn't surely has something to hide as why would you not support something that is a deliberate as you would have to have the plates made.

Back
Top Bottom