Marvel Phase 4

Soldato
Have you seen Loki?

This is something the video I posted last week touches on, there is so much accompanying material being produced alongside the movies, it's almost over saturation. There will be movie goers who have no interest in the TV shows and the films need a way to condense the happenings of these shows into their narrative.

What the build up to endgame did really well was ensure anyone could dip in and out of most of the movies and enjoy them as a singular experience without needing to watch everything else. Obviously it helped by the end but was never a pre-requisite.

Marvel is at a point now where in the movies, there will be major elements of WV, FaTWS and Loki which will be included and assumed folks know about. The overall quality of WV was questionable with a few highlights, FaTWS was so bad I couldn't get past episode 2, Loki shows promise a few episodes in. If they want folks to watch all this content and the movies as well, they need to be smashing the quality of the shows out of the park. So far overall, it's been quite underwhelming on the TV front.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Marvel is at a point now where in the movies, there will be major elements of WV, FaTWS and Loki which will be included and assumed folks know about. The overall quality of WV was questionable with a few highlights, FaTWS was so bad I couldn't get past episode 2, Loki shows promise a few episodes in. If they want folks to watch all this content and the movies as well, they need to be smashing the quality of the shows out of the park. So far overall, it's been quite underwhelming on the TV front.

I think people who are massive Marvel fans have lost the ability to be even slightly objective with their opinions of the films/tv and people who aren't die hard fans are underestimating how bad it would have to be in order to make much difference to Marvels bottom line. Loki was decent but nothing special, Wandavision was the same. They have some many things in the works and such a high output that QC on it has kind of gone out of the window. Its its Marvel it will make hundreds of millions at the box office regardless of quality. At this point they just seem to be happy to expand.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I think people who are not massive Marvel fans have lost the ability to enjoy anything and get more joy of picking holes then sitting down and enjoying some down time and moving on to cut the grass.

It is was it, is fun to watch in a world where everything links across years of TV and movies.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think people who are not massive Marvel fans have lost the ability to enjoy anything and get more joy of picking holes then sitting down and enjoying some down time and moving on to cut the grass.

Most people who aren't massive marvel fans don't think about them enough to bother picking holes. They just try to enjoy them for what they are. If you have to know a lot of lore and backstory and appreciate the niche references to get the most from these series / films they are not that good. The best marvel films have had both. They are great fun for anyone to watch no matter their investment in the source material.

Not everything has to be good or bad. I know that seems to be something that is lost on a lot of people these days but most things are a spectrum. You can say a film/tv series wasn't great without meaning that is awful.

Soldato
Wow, it would seem that eternals is a **** show then. No really that surprising is it? The whole premise of super duper powerful guys that have been helping humanity for thousands of years then decided to not bother was a doa concept. Add in that the TV shows kick-starting p4 were all just unbelievably boring, throw in a pinch of the usual 'woke' nonsense and I think you'll end up with a franchise that while still performing very well by in large, won't do the same numbers as previously.

They should just have gone straight to Spiderman 3 and the multiverse stuff, drag in a bunch of characters that weren't around for the thanos arc, F4 and the X-Men etc. Hell they could have easily explained mutants using the Hulk snap bringing people back, something something duality of banner/Hulk or his gamma radiation awoke the latent mutant gene or something.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
No because all the Spiderman films have been **** the only saving grace in the new one possibly Dr Strange.

Soldato
None of the Marvel movies were great, they were perfectly fine film going spectacles - bar winter soldier, that was an amazing movie. Amazing visually, average at best storytelling, the new additions don't even have decent story telling (for me). Dr strange and Spiderman were both mid tier marvel movies, spidy3 seems to be going in full throttle on breaking the multiverse so that's were they should have started rather than the dull and insipid wandavision.

Caporegime
None of the Marvel movies were great, they were perfectly fine film going spectacles - bar winter soldier, that was an amazing movie. Amazing visually, average at best storytelling, the new additions don't even have decent story telling (for me). Dr strange and Spiderman were both mid tier marvel movies, spidy3 seems to be going in full throttle on breaking the multiverse so that's were they should have started rather than the dull and insipid wandavision.

End Game gave me one of the best cinema experiences in years, so can't agree with you there.

Obviously there are some lesser movies, and the last Spider-Man wasn't that great.

The TV shows have been a bit hit and miss, but I did enjoy Wandavision and Loki

Soldato
WtH.

RT now on 53% and falling!!! Could it hit the 40's HAH

Now normal when the RT critics score is low it normally means the film is awesome lol.

Soldato
WtH.

RT now on 53% and falling!!! Could it hit the 40's HAH

Now normal when the RT critics score is low it normally means the film is awesome lol.
normally with low scores on RT it just means the usual diversity checklist hadn't been met, this film would appear to have that in spades, it's just a really bad story judging by critics scores

Soldato
Even the early rumours said that Eternals was a big mess. It was made for the virtue signalling access media, and even they hate it! It was also meant to do well in China with an Asian-looking lead (apparently Disney think all Asians are the same race), until China decided that Chloe Zhao was persona non grata.

You just have to look at the red carpet interviews. Everyone hits their pre-listed talking points, but they are not talking about how good the film is, or how much fun it is, or how great the characters are. It's all about "different", "diverse", "representation", etc.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Not sure why people think that if critics don't like it then it will be good. Critics have been fawning over every film that has come out since cinema re-opened and they love a diversity ticking exercise.

If they still don't like it then I would wager that its an absolute mess.

Soldato
Not sure if people have been keeping up with the whole RT drama for the past couple of years and getting the irony.

Fan favourites like the Joker, Dave C, the snyder cut having extremely high audiences scores and panned by critics while stuff like Cuties, the last jedi, ghostbusters 2016 it's the opposite.

Then que the access media throwing terms like racist, homophobic and woman haters because fans hate what they have been served.

Hell Kumail had to delete tweets when he started attacking fans for the low scores when he realised it was the critics lol.

Back
Top Bottom