Moving out of the way of an emergency vehicle

Soldato
I was in the right side of lane at these traffic lights today,

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6...yl2ZNVSl7s8l9wkKQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en-GB

Lights were red and an ambulance was coming through behind me. When it was right behind me with it's lights flashing and siren blaring, I moved through the red light to allow it through. I thought that was always the done thing. According to this police article, I'm still breaking the law and would have to prove an emergency vehicle needed access as a mitigating circumstance. How would I prove it and am I likely to get fined and 3 points?

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q699.htm

Soldato
Do ambulances have dashcams ? but if you have the day and time , I'd have thought you can make a plea with that.

Soldato
Technically you aren't meant to go through a red light to let an emergency vehicle through, but if you can do so safely, I (and I'd guess 99% of people on this forum) would do exactly as you did and creep forward if they could to allow them to pass.

If there was no camera on the junction, I wouldn't even worry about getting called out for it. Surely the only ones who might report you would be the ambulance crew themselves, and if they can see that you were clearly trying to assist them, why would they?

Man of Honour
I might be wrong but pretty sure they should have turned off the siren if unable to proceed due to vehicle waiting at a red light and use the horn if they wanted you to move.

Soldato
I might be wrong but pretty sure they should have turned off the siren if unable to proceed due to vehicle waiting at a red light and use the horn if they wanted you to move.

I'm glad someone else mentioned this. I could have sworn I'd heard the same, but I couldn't remember where or if I'd made it up.

Associate
No emergency vehicle would expect you to break the law for them. The Police are the only ones that can tell you to jump a red light. Any other time you could be prosecuted and people have for doing it. However if there are no cameras I would move through enough for the vehicle to pass.

Soldato
I wouldn't even jump them for the police on junctions with cameras, because you know you'll get a fine+points and it will be a nightmare fighting it as always. They need to change the laws and make them clear if they want people to move.

Soldato
I would and have in the past gone through red lights to allow an ambulance past and never heard a thing even from one in derby with a camera that flashed. I assumed because it flashed the ambulance as well then the person in the other end applied common sense!

Soldato
I would and have in the past gone through red lights to allow an ambulance past and never heard a thing even from one in derby with a camera that flashed. I assumed because it flashed the ambulance as well then the person in the other end applied common sense!

You'd think that, but 90% of the time nope.

Soldato
I wouldn't go through a red light. There supposed to turn the siren off.
It's actually a sad rule, it should be made much easier to get out of the way, and only prosecute you if you cause an accident.

Soldato
My friend was driving down a road at about 6pm down a road with single lane each way with a bus lane each way too. Ambulance with blues and twos had to pass through. There was no other option but to move onto the bus lane as traffic was gridlocked. My friend and several other drivers got fined - try to challenge and failed.

Why can’t the police etc make exceptions for allowing drivers to go onto the bus lane if to let an emergency vehicle with lights on pass or to move around an obstruction? The ambulance may had someone with minutes to live and getting to the hospital is vital in speedy time.

Soldato
My friend was driving down a road at about 6pm down a road with single lane each way with a bus lane each way too. Ambulance with blues and twos had to pass through. There was no other option but to move onto the bus lane as traffic was gridlocked. My friend and several other drivers got fined - try to challenge and failed.

Why can’t the police etc make exceptions for allowing drivers to go onto the bus lane if to let an emergency vehicle with lights on pass or to move around an obstruction? The ambulance may had someone with minutes to live and getting to the hospital is vital in speedy time.
Was there a reason the ambulance couldn't use the bus lane?

Soldato

Jobsworths > lives.

Underboss

if you read the highway code (think that's where i read it) the Emergency vehicles are trained, and will move around you, not the other way around, if you moved into the bus lane, instead of the ambulance ? the ambulance could have just gone around you rather you making a quick divert means the driver of the ambulance has to take evasive action

Back
Top Bottom