Marvel Phase 4

Caporegime
The Joker was 100% not "panned" by critics.

Neither was The Snyder cut.

68% fresh and 71% fresh (respectively) is not a panning.

And let's face it, that the Snyder cut is a much better movie than the original, but it's not a 94/100 movie as the audience score indicates. Massive bias there.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Joker was 100% not "panned" by critics.

Neither was The Snyder cut.

68% fresh and 71% fresh (respectively) is not a panning.

And let's face it, that the Snyder cut is a much better movie than the original, but it's not a 94/100 movie as the audience score indicates. Massive bias there.
I think with the joker it was more a case of being seen as problematic, there was so much hysteria generated around it at the time of release - from memory it had a similar rating of high 80's after the 1st 100 or so critic reviews then the usual 'woke' brigade dropped it down to its current number.

Synder's cut of JL was 100% better than its theatrical release, but yeah no where near a high 90%.

Associate
Yeah I’m of the opinion of it being good-not great.

I certainly liked elements of the film don’t get me wrong, but I think there was too much plot and exposition. Asking a lot of people to introduce that many characters in one go imo.

Think it probably would have been a lot better as a D+ show tbh. Would have been the perfect scenario to get introduced to the characters over a longer period, then throw them up into the Cinema for a film.

7/10.

Soldato
Don't know about you guys but I'm not one but hyped to see Eternals. Trailers look boring as heck. Dont see how they'll top any of the avengers movies.

Soldato
None of the Marvel movies were great, they were perfectly fine film going spectacles - bar winter soldier, that was an amazing movie. Amazing visually, average at best storytelling, the new additions don't even have decent story telling (for me). Dr strange and Spiderman were both mid tier marvel movies, spidy3 seems to be going in full throttle on breaking the multiverse so that's were they should have started rather than the dull and insipid wandavision.

It's interesting how opinions vary on the same stuff. Winter Soldier was mid tier Marvel for me at best. Too serious and Bucky gives off too much of an emo vibe (altho I like him more after Falcon and Winter Solider). Now Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok - total top tier super hero movies! Fun, action packed, well written. Same with Spiderman: Coming Home and End Game. Loki and Wanda Vision were great too. In fact I rate most of the Marvel movies quite highly and only feel the earlier sequels (Iron Man 2 & 3, Thor 2 etc) let the side down.

Of the more recent movies, Shang-Chi is a highlight and was brilliant fun.

Soldato
Irrespective of reviews, I have no real interest in The Eternals movie because I just don't know who these characters are! Ideally, I'd like them to get the X-Men and Fantastic Four into the fold as quickly as possible.

Associate
Irrespective of reviews, I have no real interest in The Eternals movie because I just don't know who these characters are! Ideally, I'd like them to get the X-Men and Fantastic Four into the fold as quickly as possible.

I don’t think too many people knew who the characters in Guardians of the Galaxy were before their first film either tbf so you shouldn’t not see a film because of that imo…

Associate
I was only speaking for myself obviously, and I had heard of the GOTG.

Of course. But the point still stands though doesn’t it-the majority of the cinema going public hadn’t heard of GOTG but because it was part of the MCU there is that element of how this unknown bunch of characters would fit in the grand scheme of things. Same applies with this.

Like I didn’t know too much about the Eternals pre watch and although I don’t think it was the greatest of MCU films, I’m certainly more clued up on them now and the implications of them being in the MCU going forward so therefore better off for it.

Soldato
Of course. But the point still stands though doesn’t it-the majority of the cinema going public hadn’t heard of GOTG but because it was part of the MCU there is that element of how this unknown bunch of characters would fit in the grand scheme of things. Same applies with this.

Like I didn’t know too much about the Eternals pre watch and although I don’t think it was the greatest of MCU films, I’m certainly more clued up on them now and the implications of them being in the MCU going forward so therefore better off for it.
Sure, I get where you're coming from. And I should have specified earlier - I'll catch this at some stage... I just wasn't enticed enough by the trailers to go see this on the big screen.

Soldato
Don't know about you guys but I'm not one but hyped to see Eternals. Trailers look boring as heck. Dont see how they'll top any of the avengers movies.

Iron man, captain America etc were all boring - it wasn’t until the first avengers where stuff started to pick up. These films lay the foundations and so they spend more time adding little bits and bobs to the story, ready for the bigger films.

Caporegime
It all ended after Infinity war/Endgame. Ill watch GoTG 3 if it comes out but 2 was a hell of a lot weaker than the 1st anyway, 3 might follow suit.

Phase 4 is garbage. Nothing means much after Endgame. It all seems trivial/boring/milking.

Soldato
It all ended after Infinity war/Endgame. Ill watch GoTG 3 if it comes out but 2 was a hell of a lot weaker than the 1st anyway, 3 might follow suit.

Phase 4 is garbage. Nothing means much after Endgame. It all seems trivial/boring/milking.

The only one I had interest in was Dr Strange 2 which was originally supposed to be a fantasy horror with an 18 rating. That seems to be out the window with Dr Strange now a supporting character for Scarlet Witch because they can't have a male character without a strong wamen to tell him what to do while he's a clown. Marvel Phase 4 is going woke and going broke.

Caporegime
The only one I had interest in was Dr Strange 2 which was originally supposed to be a fantasy horror with an 18 rating. That seems to be out the window with Dr Strange now a supporting character for Scarlet Witch because they can't have a male character without a strong wamen to tell him what to do while he's a clown. Marvel Phase 4 is going woke and going broke.

Honestly, where do you get this stuff? There hasn't even been a trailer out yet for the multiverse of madness.

Dr Strange is a supporting character in a the next Spider man, he's the main character of his own movie.

Soldato
It all ended after Infinity war/Endgame.

Thats how I feel, most of the cast I like are now done with the MCU and I have virtually zero interest in "restarting" the MCU with the leftovers of End-Game, even if everyone else loves it and it becomes another multi-billion dollar smash hit series I doubt I'll watch much, maybe GoTG3 at most.

For me Phase 1-3 was all the MCU I'm interested about.

Soldato
Thats how I feel, most of the cast I like are now done with the MCU and I have virtually zero interest in "restarting" the MCU with the leftovers of End-Game, even if everyone else loves it and it becomes another multi-billion dollar smash hit series I doubt I'll watch much, maybe GoTG3 at most.

For me Phase 1-3 was all the MCU I'm interested about.

It was a natural endpoint to all these years of story, especially when we lost our favourite characters and the actors that play them. Many of the replacement characters have failed time and time again in the comics of the last 20 years, they are not going to work in the movies.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato

Watched it afternoon and it was pretty good imo. Nothing earth shattered but building up for the next line of movies at a cosmic level. I don't see why there so much hate with comparisons with Black Widow. It was no where near as bad as that. It certainly a different style from the normal marvel formula but enjoyed it nevertheless.

If you don't know anything about Eternals I thought it does a decent job explaining who they are and why and what.

Some of the effects was good.Wish DC would learn from Marvel.

Back
Top Bottom