Football Banter Thread

fez

fez

Caporegime
"I hoped Messi would do a U-turn and he would say he would play for free," he added in an interview with Catalan radio station RAC1.

"I would have liked that and I would have been all for it. It is my understanding La Liga would have accepted it. But we cannot ask a player of Messi's stature to do this."

I can see why Messi left.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Gerrard 2.5 yr contract, end coincides with end of Klopp's

uncanny coincidence

Entirely coincidental. Liverpool aren't stupid enough to hire an ex-player like United, Arsenal and Chelsea have done. They have literally created one of the best systems in football at the club and won't risk it on the hope that a club legend is magically one of the top coaches in the world after 5 or so years of management. They will plan for Klopps departure and have one of the best modern coaches ready to come into the club seamlessly.

Meanwhile, United will hire a few more crap managers and our fans will decry the complete lack of available top class managers and ignore the fact that all the top clubs in the world manage to have consistently good managers somehow. Probably witchcraft.

Man of Honour
Entirely coincidental. Liverpool aren't stupid enough to hire an ex-player like United, Arsenal and Chelsea have done. They have literally created one of the best systems in football at the club and won't risk it on the hope that a club legend is magically one of the top coaches in the world after 5 or so years of management. They will plan for Klopps departure and have one of the best modern coaches ready to come into the club seamlessly.

Meanwhile, United will hire a few more crap managers and our fans will decry the complete lack of available top class managers and ignore the fact that all the top clubs in the world manage to have consistently good managers somehow. Probably witchcraft.

I actually think Liverpool will indeed give Gerrard the position after Klopp. They'll be banking on another Kenny Dalglish style appointment

Man of Honour
Contract length is all a bit irrelevant anyway to be fair, he could have a 10 year contract at Villa but if Liverpool come knocking he would still leave to join them. Its not like players or managers are tied to contracts anyway, as Rangers know all too well today.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I actually think Liverpool will indeed give Gerrard the position after Klopp. They'll be banking on another Kenny Dalglish style appointment

That doesn't work these days though and I would think Liverpool know that. Football management has changed so much in the last decade or so. The best managers are tactically fantastic, great motivators and man managers and usually have a brilliant team of coaches they trust to see their vision engrained in the players. Being a club legend doesn't really have a lot of benefits to many of those areas.

Time will tell but I doubt that Liverpool will be looking around them and thinking, "do you know what will replace our best manager ever? A club legend, you know, like United, Arsenal and Chelsea have done recently". Maybe in 2 years time if Gerrard has proven himself to be truly top class they would consider him but even then I don't think the links to the club will do him many favours.

Caporegime
Gerrard will likely have the same task Souness faced when he replaced Dalglish, if he takes over from Klopp, but we can't afford for it to go as catastrophically wrong as it did under Souness.

Winning a few trophies in a mickey mouse league is absolutely no test of his managerial abilities so a few seasons at Villa to prove himself is good for everyone concerned.

Soldato
Gerrard will likely have the same task Souness faced when he replaced Dalglish, if he takes over from Klopp, but we can't afford for it to go as catastrophically wrong as it did under Souness.

Winning a few trophies in a mickey mouse league is absolutely no test of his managerial abilities so a few seasons at Villa to prove himself is good for everyone concerned.

Liverpool is a much better run club now than it was when Souness was appointed. There's no vacuum to suck anyone into doing so badly as Souness did.

Anyway, I think it will be Lijnders.

Soldato

Winning ONE trophy in nine doesn't exactly set the heather on fire up here. As for the SPFL being a mickey mouse league, what would English football be like without SKY? Quite a few of the EPL's best players have come from Scotland or Scottish teams.

Back
Top Bottom