WBAC Values

Soldato
I'm going to be moving a 15 plate Corsa first thing in December, in September when we decided to change it was valued at 5500, today it shows exactly the same. Thats fine and i suspect a little that they are holding the value offered and I will try others when we are ready.

Only thing I can't quite decide on is if its worth sorting out all the alloys before the sale, my wife has done in all four in incidents that are rarely her fault so they don't look good right now! Gut feeling is yes..

Soldato
Mine has dropped £2025 on Cazoo - Equally happy that I decided not to sell up as whatever I went in to would have also lost that amount as unfortunately would need to replace than benefit form the increased part exchange price.

Associate
Hi guys,

I’ve booked with Cazoo to sell my MX-5. I’ve booked a collection for tomorrow (£75). I’ve just been reading the terms and conditions again and noticed the following:

8.4 The Final Valuation includes VAT (where applicable) at the current rate chargeable in the United Kingdom on the date of sale.

What does that mean? I’m just a private seller so I don’t suppose VAT is applicable.

Thanks.

Caporegime
Hi guys,

I’ve booked with Cazoo to sell my MX-5. I’ve booked a collection for tomorrow (£75). I’ve just been reading the terms and conditions again and noticed the following:

8.4 The Final Valuation includes VAT (where applicable) at the current rate chargeable in the United Kingdom on the date of sale.

What does that mean? I’m just a private seller so I don’t suppose VAT is applicable.

Thanks.
There's no added extras on top of the price they pay that's all.

Associate
Thank you! I’m really having second thoughts now though! Cazoo have offered me a really good price - much more than it would be worth in normal market conditions, however I love my MX-5 (2018 2.0 Sport Nav with only 6000 miles - owned since new) and I think I may regret it. I might cancel by phone first thing tomorrow - feel a bit stupid. Would they charge me for cancelling at short notice?

Soldato
Thank you! I’m really having second thoughts now though! Cazoo have offered me a really good price - much more than it would be worth in normal market conditions, however I love my MX-5 (2018 2.0 Sport Nav with only 6000 miles - owned since new) and I think I may regret it. I might cancel by phone first thing tomorrow - feel a bit stupid. Would they charge me for cancelling at short notice?
Who knows..but cancellation will surely be cheaper than finding a new car as good as your current one.

Associate

If you don't need it sell it. I've just sold my 2019 30th Anniversary MX5 for a very strong price since buying from new. The prices will drop again at some point so if you miss it that much just buy another, hopefully for less than you sold yours for!

Associate
Thank you all. I don’t technically need it as we have another every day car. My feeling is that it makes sense to take this opportunity and then get another MX-5 further down the line when used car prices start to get back to normal - whenever that will be. Maybe I’ll even be able to get a slightly newer model for the same money. I would definitely want another MX-5 though. From what I’m reading, prices may not get back to normal until late 2022 at the earliest, so it could be a wait.

Associate
They don't charge you for cancelling at short notice as I discovered when the brake pad warning light came on on my M3 as I was driving to their centre to do the sale. If only the bloody thing had left it another 15 miles I'd have been fine!

Associate
Just sold my car to Cazoo yesterday. Paid £50150 for the car brand new in Jan 2020 (and another £300 on finance before I paid it off), and Cazoo just handed me £49450, so 20 months motoring cost me about £1K. I had to wait until they recognised my number plate, having removed my private plate, 10 days earlier they offered me £50,300.

My car had £6K of extras, which of course they don't dial in. So the crazy thing is, If I'd bought the car with no extras, i'd be around £4.5K up !

Anyhow £3K better price than WBAC, and my own dealer wasn't interested. The Cazoo price was so much better, that I took the ferry to Scotland and drove to Falkirk, handed the car over and flew home (cazoo don't do home visits in N.I.)

Crazy pricing.

Associate
What are you going to drive now?
Either a runaround and wait for things to settle down, having locked in a great price for me car, or go for something new that's available immediately i.e 4-6 weeks). Plenty of such cars if you look around. Just trying to make up my mind if this is the time to go EV. I don't *REQUIRE* a car for work, although realistically I can't go too long without a car just on a practical level.

Looked at an EV and if I got with that dealer, will come to an arrangement that he gives me a run-a-round on a fixed basis until the new car arrives.

Last edited:
Associate
50k on something you don’t require. Madness

Perhaps you should not stop at words that allow you to make your desired commentary, but actually read what was written ("require for work....but I can't go too long without a car on a practical level"), which is most people's understanding means i do require a car.

Anyhow, life is full of spending on things that are not required. No one is REQUIRED to buy a new car, when a £2K 15 year old car will transport you from A-B. Certainly no one is required to spend £50K on a new car, you can buy a new dacia for <£10K. So maybe that is the cutoff point for your "madness".

Why buy a £400K house if you can buy one for £150K. There's no requirement to buy new clothes when there are loads in thrift shops.

This is a thread about peoples experience with WBAC and prices being achieved for selling a car for cash, not about how people spend their disposable income

Last edited:
Soldato
50k on something you don’t require. Madness
Tbf I've got the E43 and an Ibiza Fr and I need 'neither' except for that very occasional trip. I wfh and walk/public transport everywhere. The current WBAC prices are very tempting for reasons like @tangey said. Cashing out has been tempted for a long time, now more than ever.

I decided I like the car enough though that I don't mind it sitting there un utilised 99% of its life.

A car I could rent very easily like when I lived in London would have been perfect but back then I did use the car quite a bit (DriveNow/ZipCar).

Back
Top Bottom