WBAC Values

Man of Honour
£200/month might be cheap or expensive depending on what it is. I mean the dealer could just pickup some total shed for £500 right and then let him have it for £200/month until March or whenever the new car is ready?

edit: Just checked our car again on Cazoo, back down to £7150 from £8425 on Tuesday. Gonna check it again on Tuesday to see if my theory about day/timing of the quote holds true.

Soldato
£200/month might be cheap or expensive depending on what it is. I mean the dealer could just pickup some total shed for £500 right and then let him have it for £200/month until March or whenever the new car is ready?
Go and run the numbers on renting the equivalent anything for £200 and tell me what comes up :D

Man of Honour
Not sure what you mean, I expect it is very hard to rent a car for £800 over 4 months via standard channels because they will typically be dealing with a fleet of maintained vehicles.
In this case however the dealer just wants to supply a 'runaround' that may be vastly inferior to typical rentals. Not only can they get the sale of the new car but might also be able to turn a profit on this 'arrangement'.

Soldato
Not sure what you mean, I expect it is very hard to rent a car for £800 over 4 months via standard channels because they will typically be dealing with a fleet of maintained vehicles.
In this case however the dealer just wants to supply a 'runaround' that may be vastly inferior to typical rentals. Not only can they get the sale of the new car but might also be able to turn a profit on this 'arrangement'.
Well right back at you. I doubt there are many cars 200 quid a month can equate to a profit on. And let's be honest, even if it's 100% profit, their coffee bill is probably far higher :D

Man of Honour
Sure, they aren't going to get rich over it but they should get at least £800 (maybe more if delivery is delayed) and explains why this "arrangement" might actually be feasible despite the naysayers - the point is they aren't going to give them a nice used car off the forecourt that they could be selling on necessarily, it could just be something picked up on gumtree or whatever for peanuts. Being in the trade they might have access to salvage or whatever, generally just means of getting hold of very cheap vehicles that they don't need to bother bringing up to standard for sale because they aren't looking to sell it.

Associate
What's the difference between 'a runaround' and 'a car'?
A runaround is a car. as is a model t-Ford, a jalopy, and a ferrari F1.

what guarantee/penalties do they give on delivery schedule - was reading german ev6 thread yesterday, not sure what annual timeline is for manufacturers for eu green quota's

Details yet to be determined.

Told them I'm happy within reason to go with something that's towards the lower end of their forecourt. To insure it, it'll need to come into my name. Just don't want to be in a position that by the time I'm selling it back to them the 2nd hand market has bust and I've lost a lot of dough. Hence the preference for something that is already towards the bottom end, that has less opportunity to fall, so a pre-agreed monthly depreciation figure works for them, and I effectively get a cheap rental.

Enterprise was looking £4.6K to hire a car for 3 months !

Sure, they aren't going to get rich over it but they should get at least £800 (maybe more if delivery is delayed) and explains why this "arrangement" might actually be feasible despite the naysayers - the point is they aren't going to give them a nice used car off the forecourt that they could be selling on necessarily, it could just be something picked up on gumtree or whatever for peanuts. Being in the trade they might have access to salvage or whatever, generally just means of getting hold of very cheap vehicles that they don't need to bother bringing up to standard for sale because they aren't looking to sell it.

I think the fact that the sale of the new £50K car is conditioned on them providing me a car that maybe is on their forecourt at £6-£7K, they might only make £1K on the sale of it, and here they are making money on it and will still have it to sell afterwards, is pertinent here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Details yet to be determined.

Told them I'm happy within reason to go with something that's towards the lower end of their forecourt. To insure it, it'll need to come into my name. Just don't want to be in a position that by the time I'm selling it back to them the 2nd hand market has bust and I've lost a lot of dough. Hence the preference for something that is already towards the bottom end, that has less opportunity to fall, so a pre-agreed monthly depreciation figure works for them, and I effectively get a cheap rental.

Enterprise was looking £4.6K to hire a car for 3 months !
Wait, is that word salad for "I've just PCP'ed a Kia Rio"?

I'm on your side now @HangTime I think this chap has literally just bought another car :cry::D

Soldato
WTF they are gonna screw you over... it'll be £200 a month and the negative equity they leave you in when they make you a terrible offer for their car :D

Associate
WTF they are gonna screw you over... it'll be £200 a month and the negative equity they leave you in when they make you a terrible offer for their car :D

There are certain scenarios where that may be possible if course. I haven’t thrashed out the details yet.

But with a £50k car to be ordered concurrently, and separately have already engaged regarding replacing a sportage next year too, that’s £75k-£80k of leverage on my side that leaves me comfortable that there is more equity in the two new sales to prevent them trying to be smart and actually enough there for them to keep me sweet.

however if the details don’t pan out I’ll look elsewhere.

Soldato
There are certain scenarios where that may be possible if course. I haven’t thrashed out the details yet.

But with a £50k car to be ordered concurrently, and separately have already engaged regarding replacing a sportage next year too, that’s £75k-£80k of leverage on my side that leaves me comfortable that there is more equity in the two new sales to prevent them trying to be smart and actually enough there for them to keep me sweet.

Lol dude you are massively over estimating how car dealers work. You're buying a car on PCP, you are signing all the risk to yourself. Any fantasy deals that have been voiced over do not exist. The 'buy back' value is a simple mechanism of every PCP in existence.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also zero leverage on the EV6 as they would just sell it onto the next pleb who came along if you refused your paltry buyback offer and turned the new car down.

You should see all these posts as legitimate concerns and get written answers on them from the dealer. Not trying to trash you but you need to protect yourself agaisnt dodgy dealer tactics here and the scenarios people are talking about are helpful for your planning if you haven't signed any paperwork yet. Get a firm buy back value from the dealer if you buy a stopgap car from them on PCP for starters.

Soldato
Even a part ex against a new "on order" car is 'subject to revision when the time to actually trade in' occurs.

You are literally buying two cars on PCP. Nothing more to it. If you have the capital, buy your own runaround and then sell it to WBAC later on.

Soldato

lol. You completely overestimate the amount of money dealers make if you think you have some sort of leverage. You've been sold a HP (perhaps a PCP but unsure due to the potential age of the car), not some magically cheap rental. Why would they let you have the car for £200 when they could sell it tomorrow for much more profit? It's going to cost you £200 a month, and then the huge amount of neg eq at the end. If you moan? Well, there're 5 buyers behind you who are happy to buy that physical, in stock, EV6.

Unless from a true rental/leasing company, you can't ensure a car unless it's yours

Yes you can. Why couldn't you?

Associate
Yes you can. Why couldn't you?

I was previously told by an insurance company that you can not insure an asset that you have no financial interest in, i.e. a tenant can insure his posessions in a house, but can not insure the buliding, only the landlord can. Similarly you can't insure a car that you have no financial interest in.

And to be clear to all the "experts", I haven't been sold anything, nothing has been agreed yet in relation to using a vehicle whilst waiting for the new one. If whatever the dealer comes up with doesn't work for me, I'll looking at other options. So rest easy folks.

Meanwhile I see Cazoo has dropped the valuation of 'my car' (it's now their car), by over a grand.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A ‘runaround’ is a means of getting from A to B without really needing to do anything more. (Without getting wet)
A car is usually something that should provide at least a bit of enjoyment/entertainment for the owner.

My gran always used to refer to her car as her car and I don't think it provided her with a single bit of enjoyment or entertainment, given it was a Matiz.

Car = Car
Runaround = Rubbish car, but admitting that is a sign of weakness, so instead you leverage synergies and say YEA YEA ITS A RUNAROUND

I think my definition is closer than yours :D

Back
Top Bottom