*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Anyone else with the Switch OLED notice they seem to have optimised the dock LAN/fixed some issues in the last few firmware updates?

On release, the LAN on the dock was restricted to the same roughly 80mbps the WiFi connection could do but today I ran a few speed tests whilst sorting some stuff at home and noticed it was pulling around ~135mbps via LAN repeatedly, although same old 70-80 via WiFi.

Not been downloading much, and it's still not great for a gigabit connection, but that is at least a good 50% faster than WiFi now, and I'll take 16MBps for downloads over 10MBps anyday! Maybe a good sign for future firmware optimisations, now LAN is in the dock and more users will have one?

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone pick up any good games from the Nintendo sale? I grabbed Grid Autosport (plus the HD texture pack)

I picked up Subnautica for £12.50, didn't need it as own it on pretty much every other platform but what the heck!

Is good, obviously the frame rate and textures have taken a hit as expected but impressed they have it running at all.

Soldato
Runs great for me on PS5. The resolution takes a hit if you want 60FPS but given the next gen updates were free and the age of the game/engine I think you have to temper your expectations somewhat.

Respectfully disagree. Seems the choice is between distracting screen tearing or pop in and less FPS.
Sooner PS enables VRR the better, why it wasn't enables from day one like Xbox I'll never know.

Associate
Im debating about getting a switch for my kid for christmas - oled vs the vs - what do you think? big difference? think you can save about 60$(pounds) going for the v2 rather then the oled. I know I like oled much more - and he may end up playing it hand held more then on the tv so maybe the oled is better because of the bigger screen?

Associate
Im debating about getting a switch for my kid for christmas - oled vs the vs - what do you think? big difference? think you can save about 60$(pounds) going for the v2 rather then the oled. I know I like oled much more - and he may end up playing it hand held more then on the tv so maybe the oled is better because of the bigger screen?

For the small price difference the OLED one is really worth it if you haven't got one, the OLED is stunning and the bigger screen is very noticable. I had the v2 Switch with the improved battery life and wanted the OLED one because I never like the LCD screen on the Switch and the border around the screen was massive, so much wasted screen space and always found it a bit washed out personally and really bad outdoors to the point where it was extremely hard to even see it. The OLED one while still not incredible outdoors a definite improvement.

The new kick stand is really nice change as well, not something I would use much but nice to have as the original version was useless. I use my Switch in handled mode 99% of the time so it was worth the upgrade for me.

Back
Top Bottom