The Tesla Thread

Associate
Email.from Tesla today "Please Sign Your Tesla Agreement"

Got my registration number yesterday - getting excited for collection now :D
Congrats. I’m picking mine up tomorrow.
I’ve not been this excited about picking up a car since my first one at 18.

Associate
I don't know why someone not interested in a Tesla Model 3 is posting in a thread called "Tesla Model 3", and then others commenting about evangelism, tbh.

Where's the BMW M4 thread so I can post about how uninterested I am in getting one?
People love to hate.
The amount of agro I’ve had from work colleagues about me buying one, you’d think I'm buying it for them.
Having to justify every aspect of it compared to an ICE. Now I just tell them to Google it. Bored of it haha

Soldato
People love to hate.
The amount of agro I’ve had from work colleagues about me buying one, you’d think I'm buying it for them.
Having to justify every aspect of it compared to an ICE. Now I just tell them to Google it. Bored of it haha

Take some of the haters for a ride in a car they've never been in and watch a lot of them change their tune.

Soldato
Soldato
Oh no! What flavor / spec have you ordered

Standard in Blue and standard wheels. I only ordered last week ;)

I was actually considering the LR for the longest time but the new spec tipped the balance to the SR for me. The extra performance and 60 miles range would be nice but at £7k, it didn't seem worth it seeing as the rest of the car is pretty much identical bar a couple of speakers and some LED fog lights. It's only a few extra kwh over the old one but for me and my use cases, its the difference between having to stop and not on a lot of journeys.

Soldato
Standard in Blue and standard wheels. I only ordered last week ;)

I was actually considering the LR for the longest time but the new spec tipped the balance to the SR for me. The extra performance and 60 miles range would be nice but at £7k, it didn't seem worth it seeing as the rest of the car is pretty much identical bar a couple of speakers and some LED fog lights. It's only a few extra kwh over the old one but for me and my use cases, its the difference between having to stop and not on a lot of journeys.

Nice ! And was.in pretty much the same boat when I was looking

Associate
For what purpose? On the road a performance is a quicker car than your M4. Where are you using this >70mph pulling power? As proven in lap time, you’re not particularly outclassing one either in an M4.

BMW interiors are woeful and about 10years behind the times, Audi, Mercedes and Tesla are all far more modern. Why would you want less features and ease of use? You’d have to be mad to choose an idrive setup over Teslas.

Not sure how pointing out a car with better tech is fanboyism. I used to think my A45 was a) fast and b) had a nice interior and infotainment with CarPlay, but since moving on it’s obvious how Tesla just do it better.

A performance isn't going to be quicker or as much fun than a 540bhp M4 mate no offense. And neither is it going to be quicker up to 70 either. The M4 gets grip at around 30mph, so from then on it would demolish the perf. 100-200kph is 6.9 in my m4 compared to 10.1s in the tesla.

Also I'm not comparing one to the other anyway, I was asked what car I currently have and I said an M4.

Like I said before I'll be keeping the M4 as a weekend toy, the Tesla would be the daily if I can find one that's a) available and b) at a decent price potentially through salary sacrifice.

Not sure why you are comparing the dashes either, nobody buys an M4 for the interior. It's just a beast of a machine and great fun to drive.

Soldato
@jonnylaris

Book a test drive of the model 3 and ask for the performance when you get there. You might be surprised by how instant the power is and the ease it is to drive.

The power delivery is just so very different, I think it would make an excellent daily and struggle to imagine that you would find it wanting at legal speeds.

Also worth noting thatit really drops off at higher speeds as the magnetic motor (it has one magnetic and one induction) struggles at higher revs. Hence the crazy slow 100-200. The loss of time will be in the later part.

The 0-80mph is a just short of a second quicker than a 425bhp M4. No launch control required, just stamp on the go pedal.

1.4 seconds to leap from 30 to 50 mph and just 2.0 seconds to get from 50 to 70. No need to drop down gears or build revs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Software 2021.36.8.8 released.

Some notable additions :D:cool:

Cabin Camera
The cabin camera above your rearview mirror can now detect and alert driver inattentiveness while Autopilot is engaged. Camera data does not leave the car itself, which means the system cannot save or transmit information unless data shared is enabled. To change your data settings, tap Controls > Safety & Security > Data Sharing on your car's touchscreen.

Sentry Mode Live Camera Access
You can now remotely view your car’s surroundings when parked to confirm the safety of your environment before returning to your car. Live Camera is end-to-end encrypted and cannot be accessed by Tesla. To enable or disable, tap Controls > Safety & Security.

Note: This feature requires iOS mobile app version 4.2.1 or higher, and Premium Connectivity.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/software-updates/version/2021.36.8.8/release-notes

Caporegime
A performance isn't going to be quicker or as much fun than a 540bhp M4 mate no offense. And neither is it going to be quicker up to 70 either. The M4 gets grip at around 30mph, so from then on it would demolish the perf. 100-200kph is 6.9 in my m4 compared to 10.1s in the tesla.

Also I'm not comparing one to the other anyway, I was asked what car I currently have and I said an M4.

Like I said before I'll be keeping the M4 as a weekend toy, the Tesla would be the daily if I can find one that's a) available and b) at a decent price potentially through salary sacrifice.

Not sure why you are comparing the dashes either, nobody buys an M4 for the interior. It's just a beast of a machine and great fun to drive.

Ans how often on UK roads do you drive at 125mph out of interest? If you are talking track cars then there are much better cars than the M4 to have.

Associate
Doing the same math myself. Spec'd the M4 to be the same as the M3 and RRP the M4 is £19K more expensive. 82K vs 63. Tesla Model 3 Performance vs BMW M4 Competition Coupe - FastestLaps.com

Regarding on the road performance it's not so much about the time in seconds, but the willingness of the driver to take risks/lose their license for the sake of "winning". Whatever "winning" means.

Last edited:
Associate
My m4 cost me 25k with 42k miles. The price of a new one is a joke.

Performance aside the m4 is going to give you way more fun than a model 3 down your average b road. Better noise, handling, brakes, rear wheel drive action, list goes on. They aren't even comparible, heck the model 3 perf didn't even make it round the nurburgring before the batteries overheated and the brakes were heat soaked. A tuning company had to spend 30k on suspension, brakes and other mods to get it to make it round 1 lap and it was still dead after that.

That being said I'd still like a tesla for the daily runs and practicality and keep the m4 as a fun weekend warrior.

Associate
I've previously owned some quick cars most notably a 400bhp Impreza that when driven in a spirited way I could pretty much use half a tank of premium unleaded in about 20 mins of hard driving. Before I knew it I was back at the pumps putting another £60-£70 in it and the nearest place that sold premium unleaded was about 30 miles away. With an EV you have similar performance and if charged at home costs less than a fiver to fill it. So yeah the M3 gives you guilt free performance.

I can't see me ever going back to ICE now.

Associate
I've previously owned some quick cars most notably a 400bhp Impreza that when driven in a spirited way I could pretty much use half a tank of premium unleaded in about 20 mins of hard driving. Before I knew it I was back at the pumps putting another £60-£70 in it and the nearest place that sold premium unleaded was about 30 miles away. With an EV you have similar performance and if charged at home costs less than a fiver to fill it. So yeah the M3 gives you guilt free performance.

I can't see me ever going back to ICE now.

Similar performance maybe but I'd take the impreza over the tesla any day of the week for a fun b road bash.

Associate
Picked up mine today from Leicester Space Centre.

Everything was perfect apart from a small fine scratch on the drivers door and a mark on the bonnet which was under the clear coat.
They agreed they were unacceptable and took photos and I should hear from them in a couple of days time. The guy said they should be able to sort out the door scratch pretty easily but the bonnet would need a respray, but they’ll likely just switch the bonnet with another.

Even so, I’m over the moon with it.

Back
Top Bottom