• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I buy a £3000 GPU or ...

Soldato
A decent biro costs over £3,000 these days. It's outrageous that I have to pay so much money to write this year's Christmas cards

Ball point pen

A decent toothbrush costs nearly £6000 these days. I've no idea how I'm going to cope when my current brush wears out

Smart tooth brush

So what if there's a 3090 on the internet for £3000? Any item you can think can be found somewhere for a rip off price. It doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A decent biro costs over £3,000 these days. It's outrageous that I have to pay so much money to write this year's Christmas cards

Ball point pen

A decent toothbrush costs nearly £6000 these days. I've no idea how I'm going to cope when my current brush wears out

Smart tooth brush

So what if there's a 3090 on the internet for £3000? Any item you can think can be found somewhere for a rip off price. It doesn't mean anything.

Your analogy falls flat because you can buy a cheap pen or a cheap toothbrush at any shop in the country. Good luck finding a GPU at MSRP!

Soldato
Your analogy falls flat because you can buy a cheap pen or a cheap toothbrush at any shop in the country. Good luck finding a GPU at MSRP!

You can buy a cheap GT 730 or even a GT1030 at RRP no problem at all. Of course if you're in the market for a top of the range car like a Ferrari or McLaren and want to call in and drive one out of the showroom.. good luck with that!

Soldato

I bought a 2Gb Radeon 5850 on eBay for £16 a few months ago. Currently playing GTA V, Tomb Raider, Battlefield 4, and Dirt 2 at 1440p.

So the analogy works.

Yes, modern graphics cards are expensive. But gamers seem to pick the most expensive 3090 and say pc gaming is too expensive or its time to choose another hobby because the 3090 is too expensive.

Soldato
Excellent point well made, highlighting why so many of my friends have dumped PC gaming - simply no value in it at all these days - When a component for ultimately playing games costs more than a decent used car something has gone badly wrong...

A market is always created when someone is happy to pay the price.

If there's anyone to blame, blame your fellow gamers / GPU enthusiasts for bowing down and accepting the steep price increases.

The price of a high end GPU works out about the equivalent of half a years mortgage payments on an average house.

Soldato
Can someone explain to me why you can get a 6900XT for £1350 or thereabouts, but the cheapest 3900 is £2600?

Is it simply mining?
Yes. The 3090 is far superior to the 6900 XT for mining purposes. In the region of 75% more profit per day. And that's what dictates pricing these days.

Caporegime
A market is always created when someone is happy to pay the price.

If there's anyone to blame, blame your fellow gamers / GPU enthusiasts for bowing down and accepting the steep price increases.

The price of a high end GPU works out about the equivalent of half a years mortgage payments on an average house.
My gamer mates have all given the PC gaming scene the bird and moved onto consoles, far from bowing down to it, yes many haven’t but unfortunately for me, my circle of gaming mates has effectively died, if I want to join them on a Saturday night session now I’m going to have to buy a console.

A shame as I converted them from the console scene back in the GTX 780 days, now it’s upgrade time they’ve all seen the price hikes and walked.

Most likely I’ll do the same once my 1080ti (which I bought B-Grade for £300 as even the 10series was imo overpriced) can’t hack it any longer.

Associate
Should I buy this GPU from Overclockers:
Yeah.

So you're basically saying GPUs are totally overpriced these days.
Well you need a wake up call, your currency has devalued a substantial amount already in about 15 months NOT GPUs prices too high.

1. The PC GPU market is doing what we traders call a SHAKE OUT.
This means supply is low and the market takes prices higher and higher to SHAKE OUT the potential buyers.
Look at the housing market, the same thing is happening there!

2. The market will reduce GPU prices again when say 75% of PC gamers and most of the miners leave the market and never come back.

3. Your currency has devalued so don't expect prices like the old days when GPU market balances out.

4. 500 dollar/pound/euro rig PC gamers are being forcefully thrown out and some enthusiasts too, Lol!
Market seems to be shouting GPU supply is NEVER going to be there for this size of PC gaming market, so we're looking at downsizing in the future years.

Associate
OP
So you're basically saying GPUs are totally overpriced these days.
Well you need a wake up call, your currency has devalued a substantial amount already in about 15 months NOT GPUs prices too high.

1. The PC GPU market is doing what we traders call a SHAKE OUT.
This means supply is low and the market takes prices higher and higher to SHAKE OUT the potential buyers.
Look at the housing market, the same thing is happening there!

2. The market will reduce GPU prices again when say 75% of PC gamers and most of the miners leave the market and never come back.

3. Your currency has devalued so don't expect prices like the old days when GPU market balances out.

4. 500 dollar/pound/euro rig PC gamers are being forcefully thrown out and some enthusiasts too, Lol!
Market seems to be shouting GPU supply is NEVER going to be there for this size of PC gaming market, so we're looking at downsizing in the future years.

Yawn. Why so serious

Associate
OP
We'll lose all this if the market starts dying. Software houses will pull out and what of Nvidia/Amd/MS/Intel?

I couldn't care less about any of those mega corps (with the exception of Microsoft). They clearly don't care about the health of PC gaming and they most definitely don't care about you or I. I honestly couldn't care less about PC gaming now either. The whole industry is all about rinsing as much money as possible from people with more money than sense. That is from the manufacturers to the AIB partners all the way down to the re-sellers.

Console gaming is where it is at these days. Microsoft, although a mega corp like the others, seems to genuinely want their customers to have a good experience whilst they milk them and I am happy for them to milk me. Although I actually don't pay a penny for Gamepass (Microsoft Reward Points) so it is untrue to say Microsoft milk me.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My gamer mates have all given the PC gaming scene the bird and moved onto consoles, far from bowing down to it, yes many haven’t but unfortunately for me, my circle of gaming mates has effectively died, if I want to join them on a Saturday night session now I’m going to have to buy a console.

A shame as I converted them from the console scene back in the GTX 780 days, now it’s upgrade time they’ve all seen the price hikes and walked.

Most likely I’ll do the same once my 1080ti (which I bought B-Grade for £300 as even the 10series was imo overpriced) can’t hack it any longer.

It is honestly my opinion that if you really care about the health of the PC gaming scene, now is the time to let Nvidia, AMD and the resellers know you are not playing their game anymore and to walk away from PC Gaming. It won't happen though, unfortunately. You, I and a few others will walk away but there will still be enough mugs willing to pay thousands for a piece of silicon that renders games a bit faster than a console. PC Gaming will become the preserve of the well off only as it used to be in the early days. That's fine I suppose. It is a bit of a shame though as I have been playing games on any platform I could get my hands on ever since my first gaming experience of Super Mario Bros on the NES. PC gaming is just going to be off limits for me going forward.

Back
Top Bottom