Cheapest way to heat a room

Don
Hi guys, I'm changing jobs soon to a role that is remote based, so WFH daily. My 'office' is on my upstairs landing, I can get away using an old mini heater occasionally through the day so my fingers aren't icicles but I assume this isn't great on the leccy. Are there any cheap to run mini heaters out there? What is everyone else doing? I don't fancy having the heating on daily, especially with oil prices :)

Don
OP
I find the upstairs stays warm without any additional heating on during the day, I only venture into the arctic downstairs when strictly necessary :cry:

Problem is the stairs on the landing go down to the hallway and there is usually a draft, I'm not sure how much mini heaters are nowadays, if I had it on for a couple of hours sporadically through the day I'd suspect it doesn't cost a massive amount?

In summer it's horrendous up here :(

Associate
I agree with 200sols, a oil heater is more efficient than those mini heaters and still emit heat when its off.

Soldato
the day so my fingers aren't icicles but I assume this isn't great on the leccy.

fingers, indeed, are the problem - I'm always/still looking for a solution
- fingerless gloves
- using a trackball (don't think there are heated options)
- keeping warm laptop power supply adjacent as a hand rest
- desk is cold so maybe a warmer/fabric surface - laser mouse should still work.

Associate
Cheapest to run, would technically be a heatpump heater (basically air conditioning running in reverse), but they're stupid expensive to buy, so would outweigh any running costs savings you'd make.

Next cheapest would be being able to turn on only the gas powered water based central heating radiator in that room, whilst leaving the rest off.

If it has to be electric powered & local, then an oil filled radiator will be your best option.

Caporegime
Random question.

Is it cheaper to run a stand alone heater or central heating for 2 rooms?
As I have smart heating I can turn all the other rads off

Caporegime
Hi guys, I'm changing jobs soon to a role that is remote based, so WFH daily. My 'office' is on my upstairs landing, I can get away using an old mini heater occasionally through the day so my fingers aren't icicles but I assume this isn't great on the leccy. Are there any cheap to run mini heaters out there? What is everyone else doing? I don't fancy having the heating on daily, especially with oil prices :)

I've found smart heating particularly useful. Especially as both me and gf are WFH. Only need 2 rooms heated 8 hours a day.

Associate
Random question.

Is it cheaper to run a stand alone heater or central heating for 2 rooms?
As I have smart heating I can turn all the other rads off
Generally, gas powered central heating will be cheaper than an electric heater, to get the same space to the same temperature. Although obviously if your electric heater heats the total space to a lower overall temperature, this might be cheaper.

If you're asking if heating a single room via electric vs 2 rooms via gas central heating, it's not possible to answer without more information (room sizes etc), but as I'm not sure exactly how much cheaper gas central heating it compared to electric, I'm not sure at what point you cross the line.

Caporegime
Generally, gas powered central heating will be cheaper than an electric heater, to get the same space to the same temperature. Although obviously if your electric heater heats the total space to a lower overall temperature, this might be cheaper.

If you're asking if heating a single room via electric vs 2 rooms via gas central heating, it's not possible to answer without more information (room sizes etc), but as I'm not sure exactly how much cheaper gas central heating it compared to electric, I'm not sure at what point you cross the line.

I remember before bought house had a 1 bed flat with no gas heating. Used to throw in a cheapo blower heater. Warmed up damn quick. Was only on minutes. No idea how much more it cost.

Associate
I'm in a similar situation, work from home, no central heating in my office at present, I use a De Longhi electric oil radiator heater, only 0.5 KW so very cheap to run, less than 10p an hour. I keep it under my desk and it keeps me toasty, nice compact unit as well but still does the job. I was working late the other night minus 4 outside, was absolutely fine without even having the heater on all the time, just switch on or off as needed.

Will only do for a solo person work area, but it's very cheap running cost, though the unit itself was about £80, fairly pricey but it's quality for such a small sized option. Can get a 0.8 KW version as well, but I'm doing fine with 0.5kw for a solo office area.

Don
OP
To give some context this is the room. There is plenty of kit but not enough to hear the room. I have an old electric heater but the wife tells me it costs loads to use, hence asking if there are cheaper alternatives. I’ll look at the oil heater equivalents suggested.

OXfpZBc.jpg

Don
OP
I'm in a similar situation, work from home, no central heating in my office at present, I use a De Longhi electric oil radiator heater, only 0.5 KW so very cheap to run, less than 10p an hour. I keep it under my desk and it keeps me toasty, nice compact unit as well but still does the job. I was working late the other night minus 4 outside, was absolutely fine without even having the heater on all the time, just switch on or off as needed.

Will only do for a solo person work area, but it's very cheap running cost, though the unit itself was about £80, fairly pricey but it's quality for such a small sized option. Can get a 0.8 KW version as well, but I'm doing fine with 0.5kw for a solo office area.

What is the model mate? Sounds ideal

Back
Top Bottom