Setting up Pi-hole

Associate
the pihole just resolves on port 53 dns queries but your need to change those on the router

what is the ip of your dns servers ?

so my pihole servers are 192.168.0.8 and 192.168.0.10 so thats what I would set my dns to in the router

In any case you would turn off dhcp on your router if you was using the pihole as dhcp

strike that.

but those routers are very limited, and I am not familiar with that Hub setup

Yes. It works fine with a public DNS (eg google 8.8.8.8). It doesn't with the Pihole IP.

It depends how that router is setup, if your disable DHCP for the Lan then the router might also be disable local dns forwarding. I don't see why you would want to forward dns from the router when pihole is handling the DHCP and DNS. Also some devices/routers do forced DNS direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I'm happy for the router to handle DHCP. I only changed it as I read it can sometimes avoid conflicts.

I've set the DNS in the below page. This used to direct to the talktalk DNS

Internet Connectivity - DNS IPv4
DNS WAN IPv4
Manually Specify DNS
DNS 1 8.8.8.8
DNS 2 8.8.8.8

If I use the pihole ip address I get the "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" error.

There is also this page, but I have left it at default.

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub
Static DNS Server Configuration

Keep the 2 following fields empty to disable the Static DNS and use default settings.
The gateway IP will be set automatically.

Primary DNS Server - 192.168.1.1
Secondary DNS Server - blank

EDIT - Though this suggests the second DNS page is the one I should be changing?

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Using-3rd-Party-DNS/ta-p/2205279

But then for the first I have the option of "default" which just plugs in the talktalk DNS, or manually specify, where I can enter whatever I want, which doesn't work! It seems like the first one makes the difference.

EDIT 2 - Tried with "DNS WAN IPv4" set as 8.8.8.8 and "Static DNS Server Configuration" set as pihole and it seems to work. Maybe I'm missing something, as this seems the wrong way round to me, but it seems to work. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Associate
I would get another solution if your router isn't dealing with dns, ie if you use the router to forward dns, even if it works it still leaves you in the same position, move away from it and get something else or use the DHCP/DNS in pihole. Get a modem solution then buy something that you can put openwrt on or OPNsense pfSense this will give you more fine control.

Soldato
I use the official pihole-template one in community applications with no issues, but I agree, I can't think there's much difference to the other template available in CA.

edit: looks like the other one supports DNS-Over-TLS and DNS-over-HTTPS if that's a requirement for you.

Soldato
Here's a weird one.

Fortnite updated recently to use Unreal Engine 5, and since then me and the kids had been unable to crossplay from any device in the house, PC, Switch, PS4, Xboxes...

I couldn't figure it out, then had a brainwave that PiHole might be blocking something... Lo and behold, hundreds of blocks to xmpp-service-prod.ol.epicgames.com

Whitelisted it and problem solved!

Hopefully that helps someone!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I am finding it extremely hard to get the Daily Mail iPhone app working with pi-hole.

Awful app i know, but my wife reads the showbiz pages on it so wont let this go. I have eventually by trial and error got to a point where articles will refresh, and some images will load in a very hit and miss nature. If i start whitelisting any further requests i get unacceptable levels of adverts starting to appear.

Very annoying! Any of you found the same?

Soldato
I am finding it extremely hard to get the Daily Mail iPhone app working with pi-hole.

Awful app i know, but my wife reads the showbiz pages on it so wont let this go. I have eventually by trial and error got to a point where articles will refresh, and some images will load in a very hit and miss nature. If i start whitelisting any further requests i get unacceptable levels of adverts starting to appear.

Get her a subscription to Private Eye? ;)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Haha, i knew would be a controversial one :D Awful app, and now hate it even more with the hassle its giving me!

Soldato

I had this and more. In the end I gave up and reserved a static IP for her phone and used the groups facility of PiHole to put that IP in a group that basically had a hugely reduced blocklist of known phishing sites and left it at that so she gets lots more ads than me but can still catch up on who's ******* who from celebrity love brother in Chelsea or whatever.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Haha :) Good suggestion, right now as a temporary fix i have put her phone onto an external DNS. Ironically though i now get complaints that the adverts are everywhere (which they are, its near unusable, full screen videos which you cannot cancel until after a count down etc - who puts up with this ****?)

I need to spend more time on it i guess, the phone produces absolutely loads of requests dependent on article requested - i need to eliminate each one, one by one.

Annoying as the desktop site displays perfectly with zero ads, but of course she wants to use the app (fair).

Soldato
Look through the query log and search for the IP address that the phone has got. You'll then be able to see the DNS queries that it has (on the grounds of good taste when thinking about the Daily Fail) denied. Look for the timestamps to see which queries were getting blocked at the time she tried to load that hate filled app.

From there you could add those hostnames to the whitelist. You'll likely need to add quite a few.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Thanks for the reply (genuinely :)) but i know how it works - it generates LOADS! Due to the way the app caches articles and content you also need to repeatedly install and uninstall the app data between each query, i'll need to put in the time to go through each one, one by one, blocking it, retrying, unblocking, repeat :)

Annoying!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Agree about the app - as BigT mentioned, they appear to have the showbiz whose ******* who this week section covered though :p

Permabanned
I am really struggling to get this working via an Unraid docker.

I can't resolve and DNS names, I can ping the Docker container IP but not browse any website.

Soldato
I am really struggling to get this working via an Unraid docker.

I can't resolve and DNS names, I can ping the Docker container IP but not browse any website.

Has the container got access to the internet?

Click the docker icon, open console. Type
curl ifconfig.me
. It should show you the external IP address of the docker.

I've no experience of it in a container environment, I kept it simple and used a RPi

Back
Top Bottom