What are you getting your families for xmas?

Soldato
Like most lads, I'm struggling to think of what to buy the Mrs (+ her immediate family) & my mum for xmas - what are you all buying for your family? Xmas gift ideas would be great! I think they are fed up of the usual, gin, wine, choc, flowers routines :D

Commissario
As you get older, it becomes more difficult. We’re at the stage in our lives where if we want something, we just buy it.

So Christmas generally consists of things like chocolate and alcohol.

Caporegime
My family doesn't buy for each other because my sister pumped out more kids than boris johnson.

Coffee/tea/hot chocolate if they are of luxury quality or well presented likely go down just as well as alcohol or chocolate in most households.

if your buying something of good quality I'd imagine most people wouldn't mind if it were an every day item.

Quality coasters, towels, tea towels, kitchen gadgets that are useful etc.
just useful things people need anyway

the older you get the less special things need to be.

If someone gifts me a decent chopping board, kitchen knife etc I'd be more than happy tbh.
Not necessarily expensive just better than what I have

Soldato
OP
Yeah fair points, I'm trying abit harder this year as sadly my dad passed away in March, so trying to make it abit nicer for mum this year as its going to be a weird one !

Got some little bits n bobs so far, just thinking if anything you guys may have thought of but forgot its grumpy old men forum :p;):D

Soldato
Yeah fair points, I'm trying abit harder this year as sadly my dad passed away in March, so trying to make it abit nicer for mum this year as its going to be a weird one !

Got some little bits n bobs so far, just thinking if anything you guys may have thought of but forgot its grumpy old men forum :p;):D
Take her for a nice meal or something, and flowers.

Soldato
Bought my mum a Wi-Fi connected digital phot frame. We have just had a daughter and my mum lives in the States so when I add pics to the album they will show up in her house.

Associate
I usually try and get the folks vouchers for somewhere, be that a meal at a nice place or theatre vouchers to see any show they wish.
Thought I'd make the change from always buying my old man Whiskey and Golf balls. :D

Caporegime
Bought my mum a Wi-Fi connected digital phot frame. We have just had a daughter and my mum lives in the States so when I add pics to the album they will show up in her house.
That's a really good idea and like a gift that keeps on giving

Soldato
My family don't do Christmas presents as no point spending time and money for presents that people don't want, just get shoved into a cupboard or listed on eBay etc. Check the number of listings of 'unwanted Xmas/Christmas present/gift' on eBay on Boxing Day to see the ridiculous numbers of listings.

I buy most of the Christmas food and drinks as they will be used.

Consigliere
As you get older, it becomes more difficult. We’re at the stage in our lives where if we want something, we just buy it.

So Christmas generally consists of things like chocolate and alcohol.

Mm indeed. We actually have stopped doing presents completely besides little gestures like this.

Instead we focus on my brother's children.

Man of Honour
Agreed a long time ago not to do presents and our christmases have been a lot better for it, just bring some alcohol or sides for whoever is hosting and enjoy some family time.

Soldato
Bought my mum a Wi-Fi connected digital photo frame. We have just had a daughter and my mum lives in the States so when I add pics to the album they will show up in her house.

That was a great idea! Beats just posting photos on the usual social media sites for sure.

Soldato
My Mum is getting gin, chocolate, puzzle books and money instead of a main present because she's a right pain to buy for, My Dad, well this is the first Christmas without him (he's in a nursing home with Parkinson's and dementia) so I have no clue what to get him besides toiletries. My Sister wanted clothes, so she's getting money.

Pet Northerner
Don
Brother is getting lego, sister cash. Nephew is at the age where amazon gift vouchers work best and my niece will be getting crafting supplies.

The parents are getting some memberships to places like Alnwick gardens so they have places to go now they are newly retired together.

The OH is dead easy, she gives me a huge list to pick from so she's still "surprised".

Back
Top Bottom