Too old to play Doom Eternal

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I find it too fast paced for the kind of gaming I’m after these days. Quite enjoyed 2016.

Yes it's gone full circle now, but never forget when we at our prime on-line gaming was a golden age. Now it's just a cheat, whine, moan, aggressive fest :)

ne0

ne0

Associate
Doom Eternal is certainly challenging and you do really have to focus to succeed with it. At 43 I'm still good enough to play it but yeah I can imagine it's gonna get more difficult as I get older.

Doom Eternal requires you to be a lot more strategic with your weapon choice which some people don't like but personally I think makes the game a lot more satisfying to play when you win.

/edit btw one big positive of playing Doom Eternal is that it sharpens your FPS gaming skills up to the point that you will find yourself murdering peeps in other games online if you spend enough time with it lol

V F

V F

Soldato
Doom Eternal is certainly challenging and you do really have to focus to succeed with it. At 43 I'm still good enough to play it but yeah I can imagine it's gonna get more difficult as I get older.

Doom Eternal requires you to be a lot more strategic with your weapon choice which some people don't like but personally I think makes the game a lot more satisfying to play when you win.

I still see some streams from time to time of people screaming at the Marauder. A possessed Marauder is on another level.

Or go nuts against an army of Marauders. :cry:

Associate
I was exactly the same.

Loved 2016 on Hurt me plenty but didn't get on with eternal.

Looking up what weapons to use against which enemy online wasn't fun for me.
If a double barrel shotgun to the face won't kill anything then it's not really doom.

ne0

ne0

Associate
I still see some streams from time to time of people screaming at the Marauder. A possessed Marauder is on another level.

Or go nuts against an army of Marauders. :cry:

yeah no thanks :D

the marauders aren't too bad once you figure out how to kill them but more than 1 at a time is just frustrating as hell especially with their little dog buddies running at you the whole time.

Soldato
I’m 43 and I gave up on it at the first slayer gate. It all started feeling more like hard work than fun.

I finished 2016 on hurt me plenty without too much trouble and enjoyed that, although it became a little bit repetitive towards the end.

Soldato
I'm in my 40s and didn't find it too difficult. I think the key is to keep moving around as once you stop that's when you end up getting pummelled.

Associate
OP
Great comments guys, the grandson has just had permission off his mother to play it so it won't go to waste, it's quite enjoyable watching him play the game as it should !!

Soldato
I found this exactly the same.. After a few levels it became insanely difficult and even difficult to determine where you were being shot from before dying. Even with the better weapons and armour upgrades on the normal setting it was just beyond hard. I even changed to the easiest setting and in places, particularly towards the end of the game, it was still bloody difficult and not really enjoyable as an experience.

Associate
Agreed, I found 2016 to be too platformy and I hate the melee to get health back mechanic, hate it. Takes away all the power from the guns, though I did complete it on normal. Didn't even bother with Eternal as it adds gameplay mechanics I'm not interesred in. Like the other poster said, if a double shotgun can't kill them I'm not interested.

It takes away any survival horror parts about not wanting monsters near you running to them to get health, ruins the entire Doom feel from the old games.

Doom 3 was too serious but still better for me than 2016. I replayed the old Dooms after 2016, they still have a better atmosphere, that sense of Doom.

My reboot of Doom would be so much closer to the original Doom with amazing graphics, healthpacks and good old fashioned gameplay.

Soldato
I finished it on Hurt Me Plenty on a controller including Slayer Gates but I wouldn't dare to touch Ultra Nightmare or even any of the higher difficulties for that matter:p Definitely one of the harder shooters around.
Maybe on m&k but even then I'd probably pass.

V F

V F

Soldato
How do people play this on ultra nightmare whatever mode, I imagine anyone who managed with that must be ace at games and online games. I struggle on too young to die.

One of the guys that holds the record for speed runs.

Soldato
So I got to about level 3 of DE, just stuck, set from medium to easy still no good, must have tried 20+ times, it must be the first game I've given up on ( apart from rubbish ones) some of the demons just seem so tough compared to 2016
Maybe at 57 it's time to call it a day, although I did just finish RE Village no problems
Anybody else struggling with this game ?
DE pacing / scaling is a bit off, the early game is hard because you haven't unlocked enough weapons/abilities etc yet meaning you run out of ammo a lot. Once you hit the mid game it gets a lot easier simply because you are carrying more ammo. So if you can push through it you might find the game more enjoyable, I'd estimate 70% of my deaths came in the first third of the game.

That said, my ultimate conclusion is it may not be worth persevering with, it's less enjoyable than Doom 2016.

I got Eternal refunded. It just wasn't fun. I didn't like the weird climbing mechanics they put in, and the over reliance on close combat instanta kills against enemies. I want a shooter, not a QTE inspired auto-brawler. 2016 was excellent, Eternal.. nah. (some people disagree and that's OK).

Man of Honour
Yeah, arguably DE is 'higher skill' than Doom2016 in the sense that you can't just use standard doom mechanics of keep strafing around with the fire button held down, you have to utilise your abilities and glory kills a lot to succeed. But I found that just became annoying rather than challenging in a good way.
Then the silly jumping sections that were like a crap platform game, where there was often a single, linear and highly contrived route through a section that you'd first have to identify and then attempt via trial and error (over-shooting / under-shooting jumps based on use of double jump and dash etc).

It's probably the only Doom game I could see myself not wanting to replay some day.

Man of Honour
Yeah, arguably DE is 'higher skill' than Doom2016 in the sense that you can't just use standard doom mechanics of keep strafing around with the fire button held down, you have to utilise your abilities and glory kills a lot to succeed. But I found that just became annoying rather than challenging in a good way.
Then the silly jumping sections that were like a crap platform game, where there was often a single, linear and highly contrived route through a section that you'd first have to identify and then attempt via trial and error (over-shooting / under-shooting jumps based on use of double jump and dash etc).

It's probably the only Doom game I could see myself not wanting to replay some day.

That is one of the problems with some of those single route/sequence approaches - once you've mastered the specific pattern to master them, some exceptions aside, it really isn't interesting to repeat them again replaying the game - just becomes a chore to get past.

Soldato
The game isn't really about fast reflexes and the like, though it might seem that way. There's a right way to killing the monsters with the right weapons, so it's more of a puzzle & memorisation game in that way. Once you learn those patterns it's quite easy, and why it's also quite boring in the end. 2016 was definitely better.

Back
Top Bottom