The Matrix 4

Soldato
Am I the only one that thought it was good? I really enjoyed it. Cinema wasn't packed at all.
Nah there are at least two of us here. But generally the reception seems to be 50:50. Half the people absolutely hated it, half really liked it.

I was surprised by it, it was in some ways more interesting than I expected. The emotional core worked for me too. It was several films in one - a metacommentary on the trilogy, filmmaking and world in general, a love story, a heist movie, and a sequel to Revolutions. It could have used more run time, or being split into more movies. But still, it was kinda fascinating.

The only let down was the messy action scenes, but despite having amazing action in the trilogy, Matrix has never been about action for me. And I get that shooting during the pandemic probably introduces some limitations.

Associate
3/10

It starts off well as it explores the challenge of how you make a sequel to a closed franchise, keeping enough the same for familiarity but having enough different so it is fresh and exciting, but ends up being a compilation of the first 2 movies with little originality and none of the ‘wow’ factor. The film was mostly boring, being too long, too serious and jumping between plot nonsense and pointless fight scenes. The action scenes (and clothing range) are in the typical ‘Matrix’ style and are stylish enough, but although it has the same style and imagery as before, it’s sense of identity was somewhat lacking.

I guess this is what Hollywood is going for now, sequels/throwbacks* to long dormant franchises rather than just a remake or reboot with the same plot but new characters. I'm not convinced it’s a good thing, as although it shows more effort and will appeal more both to the original and new fans than just a lazy remake, but I do think some things should just be left alone.

*Recently, No Time To Die, Ghostbusters, SpiderMan, Matrix, Scream, Halloween? all come to mind.

Soldato
What makes it even more strange some machines has switched sides and work with and for the humans.

clearly the machines are sentient with its own free will and the movie now treat them as much and they don’t want to fight them.

it makes busting him out or what he can do pointless since they are not at war anymore. There was no need except giving him/her a choice???

I got the impression that he (Tom) was content, although confused with no direction, however in the original film he was actively seeking "what is the matrix" whilst inside it. It seemed he was forced to take the red pill in this movie.
Bugs could have just carried on viewing from the sidelines but no she had to get him out doesn't that make her egocentric especially considering the risk she then put on everyone and the almost rolleyes reception she got for doing it.

Also something I remembered, just before the dojo fight scene starts Morpheus throws his coffee cup out the window, this irritated me and seemed pointless it's a virtual world surely he could have dropped it and it disappeared as it fell, this would have given more of an impression that he controls the world around him instead of such a childish move.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got the impression that he (Tom) was content, although confused with no direction, however in the original film he was actively seeking "what is the matrix" whilst inside it. It seemed he was forced to take the red pill in this movie.

Several times in the movie they mentioned that "choice" was an illusion i.e. if presented with two options you were always going pick the same one time and time again. So here Neo never really had a "choice" on taking the Blue Pill, he was always going to take the Red Pill and the new Morpheus just made that clear to him, stripping that illusion of "choice" away.

Caporegime
I think people need to remember, just as was said in the movie, Warner Bros we’re going to do another one with or without Lana. So she called them out in the movie while making a distinctly average movie to boot.

Caporegime
I think people need to remember, just as was said in the movie, Warner Bros we’re going to do another one with or without Lana. So she called them out in the movie while making a distinctly average movie to boot.
yea people should remember and avoid any movies she ever gets involved with in the slightest from here on in.

don't take out your bitterness with warner bros out on the fans.....

Soldato
don't take out your bitterness with warner bros out on the fans.....

Now that the financial success of Spiderman has shown that "The Pandemic" can't be used as the reason modern films are flopping, the only excuse left is to blame "the toxic fans" for the studios/creators utter failures, so I think they'll hammer that excuse even harder now rather than admit what they made just isn't very good i.e. the old Simpsons gag of Skinner saying "is it me thats out of touch? No it can't be, it must be everyone else" etc.

Soldato
Several times in the movie they mentioned that "choice" was an illusion i.e. if presented with two options you were always going pick the same one time and time again. So here Neo never really had a "choice" on taking the Blue Pill, he was always going to take the Red Pill and the new Morpheus just made that clear to him, stripping that illusion of "choice" away.

So forced in to it... Afaicr in the first movie he wanted to take the red pill he was compelled to do it and us the audience wanted him to, in this movie it just felt wrong, every time the choice came up was there not a gun fight going on in the background? Is that the clarity given to him and therefore giving the illusion of choice take the red or you die.

Hi I'm a really poor excuse for Morpheus, your going to take the red pill oh no duck.

Soldato
Having seen this today I have to say it was very poor compared to the original movies.

The casting is rubbish and the story line was crap as well.

It was watchable but cheapens the entire franchise.

The Analyst reminded me of Dr. Niles Crane.

Screenshot-2021-12-26-002015.png

Also the whole video game thing was cheap and a rubbish idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
So forced in to it.

Yeap absolutely. The previous movies alluded to it being a "choice" but this time they straight-up said "Nope, you WILL take the Red Pill, you have no "choice" at all, the Blue pill was just there as an illusion of "Choice" but No, you never really had an option" and I think it adds to the hurt the film already suffers.

V F

V F

Soldato
Now that the financial success of Spiderman has shown that "The Pandemic" can't be used as the reason modern films are flopping, the only excuse left is to blame "the toxic fans" for the studios/creators utter failures, so I think they'll hammer that excuse even harder now rather than admit what they made just isn't very good i.e. the old Simpsons gag of Skinner saying "is it me thats out of touch? No it can't be, it must be everyone else" etc.

They did that with Ghostbusters 2016 calling them all misogynists.

V F

V F

Soldato
What on earth... Better film out of the whole series?

A P said:
I just got done watching The Matrix Resurrections- the one that just released and I wanted to tell you all that despite what you may read from the critics, this movie was amazing.

THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE DISLIKE IT SO MUCH IS BECAUSE IT WAS SHOT DIFFERENTLY THAN THE OTHERS (which was stated by Keanu in interviews).

The overall feeling through out the movie of transitional familiarity, repeating loops, patterns through out the world that everyone sees but doesn’t realize.. it’s intense.

I have to say it is by far one of the better films
out of the whole series and I was mind blown
the whole way through it ties up a lot of on
answered questions and also delves into
what happened in the meantime between
The matrix revolutions and this current film it
also goes into detail further to explain the lore
and what happened after the machines in the
humans made a truce.

I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone planning on seeing it, but, it is everything you could want in a modern day sci-fi, psychological, action movie. It also ties up a lot of unanswered questions and loose ends that anyone had about the Matrix lore.

10/10.

Associate
I wasted my time watching this was the overall feeling I came away with it was just not very good story telling, meaning it was very poorly written.

V F

V F

Soldato
I wasted my time watching this was the overall feeling I came away with it was just not very good story telling, meaning it was very poorly written.

I'd like to know where all the good story writers went in the movie industry. Movies in the 2000s were so different than the past decade.

Back
Top Bottom