Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Is their kit any good? I bought a lance fitting from them and they keep sending me emails about their products, they always seem to be really cheap, too cheap possibly. For £25 I might take a punt
No.

Majority of their products are just meh. Plenty better brands around. They attract people with low prices, loads of advertising and "complete kits"

Bilt hamber, gyeon, car pro etc are a lot better and consistent with their performance.

Soldato
I think these days I’d just rather see the car dirty vs a clean, but poorly washed car. A dirty car doesn’t damage the paint, but a poor wash does.
Absolutely and that is the stance I take with our cars if I don't get a chance to wash them. The problem with the company car is that I'm expected to keep it "presentable". Still, no more swirl-o-matic for me, I've got a soft brush attachment I can put in the hose if I need a real quick spruce up.

I had a 20 minute window to hit the worst parts with Megs ultimate compound, AG SRP and some colonite. The scratches are still there but many of the smaller marks are gone and it no longer stands out as being trashed which is good enough for me. The bonnet needed attention after being scuffed by me hitting some plastic sheeting on the motorway anyway.

Honestly, that car scratches if you just look at it!

Man of Honour
Cheers, that is precisely what I was expecting to hear. :)

In other news, I cleaned mine today... Finally!

VuyUSML.jpg

Shiny :)

Planning to do an engine bay wash and seal this week :)

Off work and the misses is off the drive, so I’ll probably do bits like the exhaust and the underbody.

Really tempted to buy Autoglyms UHD wax, but may save that for the spring.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Cheers, I ran out of light so didn't have time to do the windows but its pretty much clean, for a week or so anyway. :(

You guys have any recommendations for cleaning floor mats come the better weather? Right now I'm just hoovering them, but when the weather turns I want to have them out and wash/shampoo them.

Man of Honour
Cheers, I ran out of light so didn't have time to do the windows but its pretty much clean, for a week or so anyway. :(

You guys have any recommendations for cleaning floor mats come the better weather? Right now I'm just hoovering them, but when the weather turns I want to have them out and wash/shampoo them.

Hoovering is the most I usually do. Not sure what alternatives there are to Autoglyms interior shampoo. I’ve used my car about 3 times since it arrived and I already need to hoover/clean the mats.

Permabanned
No.

Majority of their products are just meh. Plenty better brands around. They attract people with low prices, loads of advertising and "complete kits"

Bilt hamber, gyeon, car pro etc are a lot better and consistent with their performance.
Strange as I tried lots of different products from many different brands, for the price it’s decent kit.

Have you actually tried any of the kit?

Man of Honour
Picked up some new products today:

AG UHD wax
Meguiars car wash plus (mainly for the windscreen)
Meguiars Vera wheel brush
Microfibre hand polishing sponges with applicator (recommended here sometime ago)
EZ wheel detail brush
A softer and smaller car detailing brush
Some replacement nitrile gloves, can’t beat them for detailing work.

I somehow spent more on the brushes than cleaning product as Should keep me busy this week, if it stops raining.

Last edited:
Associate
Someone suggested the EZ Detailing kit a few months back and I think the brand as a whole got a mixed reaction then as well.

I did buy a similar kit from them back during the very first lockdown, but it looks like they've updated the shampoo since then. The shampoo I received was Cherry Bomb (not on the website now) which seems OK, but doesn't have as much lubricity as I would like so I've held it back for occasional wheel cleaning duties only and have stuck to Bilt Hamber Auto Wash or Autobrite Purple Velvet for bodywork. Viper wheel cleaner actually removed some contaminants on my wheels that Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel couldn't shift, so that was a plus point for it. Clarity 2.0 just smells like Windolene to me which in a way is fine (other than the price) as it seems to do the job. The snow-foam and pre-wash I haven't properly tried out because I've still got a ton of Bilt Hamber Auto Foam to get through. The Si02 wax, eh... it is pretty easy to apply/buff off, but I've still got a thing for beading and it seemed lacking in that department the couple of times I applied it (it does leave a slick finish though) so I've stuck with BH Double Speed Wax or the classic Collinite 476S if I feel like having a proper workout.

The products I use at the moment for the weekly wash are Bilt Hamber Auto Foam, Bilt Hamber Auto Wash/AB Purple Velvet/Megs Gold Class (nice to have a choice!), Bilt Hamber Auto QD as a drying aid. Every few weeks I'll use either Gyeon Wet Coat or Gyeon Ceramic Detailer in place of Auto QD. Still using my trusty Microfiber Madness Incredimitt that I probably bought 8 years ago now and despite being used nearly every week it is still going strong, expensive but ended up being worth it!

Should be one of the cleanest (slightly tatty) near-200k mile E46s around with the amount of time I spend cleaning it :o

Permabanned
It’s exactly what it’s described as… Weekend warrior kit for those that want to dabble in a bit of weekend car cleaning for not a lot of money.

Nothing spectacular but not bad either.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Does any one else find the Bilt Hamber sprayers utter rubbish? I love the products but the sprayers are terrible, I'm contemplating buying some better bottles and decanting.

Soldato
Is that Hyrdo2 stuff good? I think I am being left behind in the world of sealants/waxes. I have Collonite, but it's quite laborious to apply. I've also tried AG Polar Seal, which is easier, but it still needs decanting into the foam bottle first and really needs to be applied regularly.
I like the look of Hyrdo2 because it seems as though you get a decent couple of months of protection by just spritzing it over a wet car and pressure rinsing, which would be especially ideal during the winter - but part of me thinks it's too good to be true. I've watched a few videos and can't see how it's a thorough application method.

Soldato
it seems as though you get a decent couple of months of protection by just spritzing it over a wet car and pressure rinsing, which would be especially ideal during the winter - but part of me thinks it's too good to be true. I've watched a few videos and can't see how it's a thorough application method.

Application method sounds the same as Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic - spray on from trigger bottle, pressure wash off. I don't have any complaints about application thoroughness.

Soldato
Application method sounds the same as Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic - spray on from trigger bottle, pressure wash off. I don't have any complaints about application thoroughness.

I'm willing (and hoping!) to be proved wrong. I would just expect that any product designed to last a long time should need to 'mechanically' applied to the surface, ie, rubbed directly onto it using an applicator pad then buffed/rinsed off. Watching footage of it being applied using a sprayer, it kind of feels like most of the product would just dissipate rather than clinging to the bodywork. Like I said though, I'm not really up to date with the latest stuff, so if it really is effective and that easy to apply I will give it a shot :)

Man of Honour

Forensic detailing has some good videos on these.

https://youtu.be/t98Tm0o87Rk

Plus loads more on spray on ceramics and ceramic coatings.

I generally apply a good lasting wax when I have time and then for top up in between use the rapid ceramic coating. I used to use HD wax, but have some UHD wax on the way which seems to last longer and is meant to be glossier and easier to apply. My only problem is that it looks a bit cold over the next few days to apply it.

A good lasting wax should last 3-6 months depending on conditions where as these spray on ceramics seem to only last a few weeks.

I generally avoid the hybrids, mainly because they don’t fit my typical cleaning regime and also because I’d rather place a top quality wax down first.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm willing (and hoping!) to be proved wrong. I would just expect that any product designed to last a long time should need to 'mechanically' applied to the surface, ie, rubbed directly onto it using an applicator pad then buffed/rinsed off. Watching footage of it being applied using a sprayer, it kind of feels like most of the product would just dissipate rather than clinging to the bodywork. Like I said though, I'm not really up to date with the latest stuff, so if it really is effective and that easy to apply I will give it a shot :)

I know with the Meguiars HC it suggests the first application isn't rinsed off but buffed off instead, though being lazy and not reading the instructions before using it, I never did that and it still works well. I can't imagine any of the other similar sprays from decent brands are any worse.

Given it's so easy to just spray a couple of times on each panel and blast with the pressure washer, i've never been worried about whether it lasts a month or three months, just top up a little bit each wash, it takes 2 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom