When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I wouldn't say BMW interiors are junk, generally speaking their interior quality is fantastic even if the design is a little too function over style. I personally like the fact not every manufacturer is going for the bland and over simplified cabin like Tesla are.

To me a Tesla is like having the interior of the MK1 Micra, but with an iPad slapped on the dashboard. Perhaps not in terms of quality, but certainly in 'simplicity'

Last edited:
Associate
Like-for-like spec?
The Tesla doesn't even have Matrix lights, let alone Laser lights. Also - the Tesla roof isn't electric.
Okay - you can't spec a standard glass roof, but if you're going with £70k then you are getting back a higher spec for it
Apparent new teslas do. Seen you tube videos with the light spelling out Tesla on the walls. Tbh for 70k I’d be saving up a little more for a taycan

Soldato
Apparent new teslas do. Seen you tube videos with the light spelling out Tesla on the walls. Tbh for 70k I’d be saving up a little more for a taycan
Problem with the Taycan - you need to add £15k-£20k of options because nothing is standard. That means it’s easily over £100k for one, and a long wait for it to arrive.

Soldato
taycan battery issues take the edge off

not sure if this V is new news, no mention of an estate version, also being released in china first
- what they don't have capacity to manufacture it in the usa, and an import would get a large biden tax on it's back ?
[ e: yes - the lwb use might indicate more estate, or 3GT like luggage capacity, but may degrade handling w/o 4 wheel steer ?]

BMW 3 Series Electric (BMW i3) launch confirmed for 2022

Last edited:
Soldato
Indeed, not really comparing like for like here, I've brought 3 new BMW's and with the option packs and combinations then the dealer incentives to counteract that its a real challenge to compare new cars. But a bmw that comparers spec wise with a tesla is most definitely more money.

One of my likes of the tesla is that it costs what they say on the website.

Soldato
Honestly this is so dull... Tesla fanboys vs BMW fanboys. Just enjoy the fact that there are more EV options now rather than playing top trumps

Soldato
who mentioned BMW fanyboys , manufacturers want a part of the UK fleet/bik market, but, maybe the i3 delivery will miss that boat,
in the usa the ex-honda accord owners 'up-segmenting' are a large part of tesla demographic,
I've not seen whether in usa they have taken bmw clients, or, in the uk in the non-fleet market
... I just want another ev estate in the market place, passat seems earliest interceptor.

Caporegime
But the other OEMs are transitioning now If a little late. So to think the swap is going to continue is probably a little deluded. Plus number of cars doesn’t really do much for a company. It’s the profit per vehicle that counts.

For a car as a product it’s hard to see people buying a M3P over a i4 M50.

Ah but Musk has told his followers that 1 out of every 2 cars sold will be a Tesla by 2030 so they accept that without question. Keeps the share price high.

Soldato
Ah but Musk has told his followers that 1 out of every 2 cars sold will be a Tesla by 2030 so they accept that without question. Keeps the share price high.

Care to link the direct quote verbatim from him, I've never seen any claim like that made, perhaps it said Electric cars and in XX time frame, but you've just left it like a Sun headline, you don't read The Sun right?

Caporegime
Care to link the direct quote verbatim from him, I've never seen any claim like that made, perhaps it said Electric cars and in XX time frame, but you've just left it like a Sun headline, you don't read The Sun right?

Apologies, it was 1 in 3 ish.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elo...-electric-vehicles-year-2030-2020-9?r=US&IR=T

Worldwide production of cars is 63.8m. So if he is aiming to be making 20m cars per year by 2030 then he expects that almost 1 in 3 cars sold will be a Tesla.

I know that his growth is impressive but once the existing manufacturers move over to a range of decent EVs, I just cant see that 1 in 3 cars sold will be a Tesla. They arent that good or to everybody's tastes. Too minimalistic for my liking.

China is a the biggest market buying 20m of the 63.8m cars made each year so he would have to be aiming to get a big slice of the china market to hit his 20m target. They only sold 13,725 cars in China last quarter compared with 5m sold of other makes.

Unless he plans to mainly sell his 20m cars to the RoW in which case he will be closer to 1 in every 2 cars sold being Tesla if you exclude China.

Last edited:
Soldato
Worldwide production of cars is 63.8m.

Cars, he said 20m vehicles by 2030 - vehicles includes, everything from busses, to trucks to vans, and bikes, not just cars. He also states that would require "consistently excellent execution" something that has been impossible since that tweet, since we've had global shortages of parts which had delayed things by 6-9 months.

It also depends on how quickly and how effective true FSD is globally, if they can actually make FSD happen properly in the next 8 years, and others are still playing catch up there will be a huge market place just for that alone.

I'm not saying they'll hit 20m either, but you are also talking about a company that lots of people said would never compete in the 'real' car market just a few years ago.

Soldato
As with everything context is everything. There’s a clear difference between ‘it’s our goal/ambition…’ and ‘we will definitely do this…’ and I'd say this falls into the former and not the latter.

Is there a scenario that Tesla can sell 20m a year by 2030? Sure but I don't see that happening, other automakers just wouldn't allow it and as you say, it would need significant pentation in China and that just isn't going to happen. That said other emerging markets have growing middle classes like India and they are slowly waking up to 'western' consumer lifestyles and will open doors for companies like Tesla.

Soldato
Do China Tesla purchasers have access to the same (future enabled) self drive semiconductors, or, is there any IP control imposed by the usa ?
(chips apparently can't do bit mining, but, re-purposing in similar ways might be strategically useful)

Back
Top Bottom