Playstation VR2 Specs Announced

Soldato
At CES, Sony has unveiled PSVR2 specs. They did not show what the headset looks like or when it launches or what the price will be. However it can safely be assumed that it will launch by the end of this year.

PlayStation VR 2 Specs:

Resolution 2,000 x 2,040 per-eye, OLED with HDR
Refresh Rate Up to 120Hz
Field-of-view 110°
Optical Adjustments Physical IPD Adjustment
Connectors USB-C (single cable)
Tracking Inside-out with 4 Cameras, Eye-Tracking, Finger-Tracking
Input Motion controllers (rechargable battery), Eye-Tracking, Finger-Tracking
Audio Built in 3D speakers, 3.5mm aux output
Microphone Yes
Haptics Yes (Controllers and Headset)

Features for the controllers:

* USB-C fast charging ports
* Bluetooth 5.1 connection
* Rechargeable batteries
* 6DoF tracking
* Finger tracking
* Haptics and specialized haptic triggers (like the DualSense controller)

The first game has been announced as Horizon Call of the Mountain (Exclusive)

Soldato
OP

No price or release date was given. Sony likes to keep that info until just before release, which would indicate this headset isn't coming out soon - probably wont be out until November and so pricing info would come around September/October when pre orders open.

However, looking at these specs - we can safely make the assumption that this headset was not cheap to build. It's got a very high end OLED HDR panel with a high refresh rate, on top of this its got features are that revolutionary to the industry and/or only found in top of the range PC VR systems like: Haptic feedback in the headset (the player will actually feel when in the game something hits them) and trigger haptic feedback in the controllers and finger tracking on the controllers and eye tracking with foveated rendering in the headset (the eye tracking can also be used as a player input which allows the player to play a game without using any controllers).

Therefore, if I have to guess, I would say $499 and in fact I wouldnt be surprised if its $599

Last edited:
Soldato
Not that I'll be getting it, but it sounds pretty good. There again, seeing as it's likely not going to be released until the end of this year, I wonder if the tech is particularly advanced in terms of the competition. If they've cracked true foveated rendering then that's impressive, if not, then I don't know if this is the next big step, but it's definitely another push in the right direction.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Do we already know that it won’t be PC compatible?
How will it communicate to a PS5, via USB? If it does, will it need to compress the video as the Quest 2 does?

Caporegime
Do we already know that it won’t be PC compatible?
How will it communicate to a PS5, via USB? If it does, will it need to compress the video as the Quest 2 does?

Surely it'll be wireless, like the Quest 2? I see no point in a console VR unit if it isn't wireless anymore.

Soldato
Specs sound pretty damn decent. OLED, HDR, 120hz, 110 fov.

Depending on the game, I'm still a big fan of cable, and tend to go that route over wireless with my quest2. Obviously if you are up and swinging around like a good'un you'd want wireless. Maybe Sony will give you the choice.

Good they have put a marker down. Let's see what the others can bring to the table.

Soldato
USB C can handle 10gbs I believe? Not sure why quest 2 is limited, but it may also be.

@Begbie It's wired. Uses a USB C cable.

I always wondered if it was the SOC holding it back, but I never understood why they couldn't add a second port in to bypass it if that was the case. If it's cabled, it should use all the bandwidth and not need encoding.

Associate
How do you do a 360 or more with a cable. Seems daft having a cable.
With difficulty! A cable ran along the ceiling solution can enable much easier 360s, but what a faff!

I agree with Unseul above that this tech by the time it comes out wont be anything particularly special. But it is a big step up from sonys last vr solution in some ways, plus its constrained by the consoles power to drive it. If it would've been wireless i'd have looked at buying it and the console.

Soldato
Probably pick one up, some of the sensory features are super interesting, more so with the controllers matching up amplifying the experience. I figure it will be all in for about a grand, a bargain when you consider a mid tier graphics card cost that for a pc.

They've already announced zero dawn, gran turismo gets a VR marker i'll source a PS5 tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom