Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
Folks... what settings are you using for your CSL DDs?

Is it me or is FF at 100% just insanely difficult to steer?
I mean surely FF can hinder your ability to race at 100% effectiveness? You dont want to be wrestling the steering wheel? (its as if there is no power steering).

Or is it dependent on game?

Soldato
Folks... what settings are you using for your CSL DDs?

Is it me or is FF at 100% just insanely difficult to steer?
I mean surely FF can hinder your ability to race at 100% effectiveness? You dont want to be wrestling the steering wheel? (its as if there is no power steering).

Or is it dependent on game?
Its game dependant. Look at the settings post on the fanatec forums. For example here are the iracing settings https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/653/iracing-pc-fanatec-recommended-settings

In iracing I then adjust strength depending on car (ie mazdas at 14, ferrari at 10.5, porsche at 9ish) but the CSL settings never change. In most performance cars the expectation is that you are fighting with the wheel a little as its the only way to know where the limit is.

Soldato
Ah ok, thanks iamtheoneneo!

So its not unusual to be "wrestling the car"
The steering can be quite heavy, e.g. even if when the car is still, youd expect to be able to go lock to lock surely with little effort in any normal car?

Associate
Project cars and the F488.
It felt like turning a lorry wheel.
100% is simply the maximum torque available. It's not supposed to represent anything to do with realism.

I'd suggest setting the wheel to something comfortable, and then adjust FFB strength in game as necessary.

Soldato
Project cars and the F488.
It felt like turning a lorry wheel.
Make sure the FFB is not clipping and it has a full range of force and not just the high end. Most games have a FFB graph you can use to see the FFB range.

Use that and adjust so it doesn't just flatline at 100%.

That's all I do anyway, I'm sure more knowledgeable people will correct me if I'm doing it wrong :)

Last edited:
Associate
Can someone running triple 27's do me a favour? I'm planning my first rig and can't quite work out if I have the space for triple 27's - What's the overall width of anyones?

Soldato
Make sure the FFB is not clipping and it has a full range of force and not just the high end. Most games have a FFB graph you can use to see the FFB range.

Use that and adjust so it doesn't just flatline at 100%.

That's all I do anyway, I'm sure more knowledgeable people will correct me if I'm doing it wrong :)
Cheers Trox and Brun.

What does flatline at 100% mean exactly?

Associate
Can someone running triple 27's do me a favour? I'm planning my first rig and can't quite work out if I have the space for triple 27's - What's the overall width of anyones?
A 27" screen is 600mm wide, plus bezels. Maximum width therefore ~1.8m but actual will be less depending on how much you angle the side screens.

Soldato
Cheers Trox and Brun.

What does flatline at 100% mean exactly?

If the FFB on the Project Cars graph is at 100% strength constantly you will lose out on subtle details that tell you how the car is handling. You may end up wrestling with forces stronger than they should be.

I've noticed that PC2 FFB is a lot stronger than ACC at default settings

Associate
That’s what I was getting at, the overall width give the angles of circa 45 degrees or so.
Without intending to be a smartarse:

1. Draw a 60mm line on a piece of paper
2. Draw two 60mm lines from either end at ~45deg
3. Measure distance between the ends
4. That x10 is how much space the triples will need

Granted it will only be approximate, but given there's flexibility in the angles it should give you a good idea whether it's practical.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Without intending to be a smartarse:

1. Draw a 60mm line on a piece of paper
2. Draw two 60mm lines from either end at ~45deg
3. Measure distance between the ends
4. That x10 is how much space the triples will need

Granted it will only be approximate, but given there's flexibility in the angles it should give you a good idea whether it's practical.

Its about 20 years since I last owned a Protractor :D

But cheers.

Back
Top Bottom