The Expanse

Soldato
They have to be hedging their bets on this getting renewed either within Amazon if they fix the licensing issues or elsewhere. The whole build up of the Cara and Xan storyline at the start of each episode which even with the best will in the world can't be resolved in the final episode.

While i'm certain we'll get a decent conclusion to the Inaros arc, there is so much protomolecule related stuff in the final 3 books that hasn't even had the surface scratched yet. Don't worry, i'm not going to post anything about the final books.

Also this final season is really hurting without Alex on the crew, he was a big part of the heart of this show and his absence is really noticed.

Caporegime
I keep seeing articles saying that it's purposely not being finished so that it can be reopened for future series.
which seems kinda dumb... probably be another show that never gets finished.

they could still have made another expanse series just set it somewhere else on the time line with no need to stretch it out on the "what if, we can keep out jobs"

it may as well end up being just another series that got canned without an ending "because we didn't want to finish it even though we had a set number of episodes to conclude the story in"

instead they wasted pretty much a whole season

Soldato
It may seems strange but, why would you start a story about an alien planet with an interesting storyline with only 6 episode left. That's not wrapping up anything. I'm baffled what the hell those lizard/dog aliens who fix people had anything to do with the rest of the story at all.
Why would you also start a story about the ring being dangerous and some people going missing if your not explaining why.

This last episode has a hell of a lot of explaining to do

Soldato
Soldato
Interesting. TBH would have thought the authors (James S Corey is a pseudonym for the two guys who actually write the books) would have been horrified at how the adaptation has been handled. Unfortunately the public responses following seem to come down heavily on the fanbois/rose tinted spec side of things too.
Both of them are actually on the TV script writing team, I believe....
In other words, they did the adaptations themselves.

Edit: Writers and producers, in fact.

Soldato
Both of them are actually on the TV script writing team, I believe....
In other words, they did the adaptations themselves.

Edit: Writers and producers, in fact.
Appreciate the confirmation, though still not sure what they were thinking signing off on such radical deviations from the novels. Particularly Laconia, unless it all makes sense in Ep6.

Associate
What deviations are there in relation to Laconia apart from bringing a short story that's generally assumed to take place between books 6 and 7 forward a bit?

Soldato
I'm not ready for tomorrow. Did buy the first book though (audio).

Me either, confident Inaros story will be resolved satisfactorily - however the early seeds of the Laconia book 7-9 arc and conclusion of the protomolecule story are going to leave a lot of people wanting.

Read some more into it and it's Alcon who have made the decision to end the series, not the show runners or amazon. An earlier interview last year also alluded that they want the Amazon deal to end so they can get it all back under their control in a number of years.

"Once the show is done on Amazon and has aired for a handful of years, all the episodes come back and are part of our library. We own the underlying IP for interactive, graphic novels, continuing storytelling in features… It’s such a rich world. We’re considering all kinds of interesting possibilities.”

https://www.darkhorizons.com/alcon-on-the-expanse-spin-off-potential/

Associate
seems a very risky thing for Alcon todo. by the time they get the rights back, we could have all moved on to the next latest and greatest

Soldato
Appreciate the confirmation, though still not sure what they were thinking signing off on such radical deviations from the novels. Particularly Laconia, unless it all makes sense in Ep6.
TV is a different media to book, so not everything that works on page does as well on screen.
Also, people involved in the production sometimes do things that necessitate alterations (Cas Anvar), while the whole production is at the mercy of whoever holds the purse strings. If some clueless exec up top decides that they need to reshoot everything in anaglyph 3-D, then everyone else has to follow their retarded idea.

Sgarrista
Commissario
What a waste.

What an absolute waste.

That episode could have EASILY been broken down into 3, maybe even 4 episodes.

Instead we get this. Rushed, bashed together, wrap as much up as possible but equally as much unanswered/unresolved and all of it suffers as a result.

Absolutely livid.

Associate
Happy enough with that ending. tied up the current story line well enough (few things i disliked). and seems a good stopping point in the story

Soldato
Enjoyed that. A lot omitted from the books but they couldn’t have done it justice with the short time they had left.

A shame to have rushed through, but they’ve delivered well considering.

Setup well for the future if they can ever pick it back up.

Back
Top Bottom