• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 12gb

Associate
They don't lose a lot because they don't sell a lot of FE. (Probably less than 5% of the cards are FE), and the fact that you can move the blame to retailers or AIB partners while getting most of the profits from their cards, is more important than the small loss on the FE. You are a good company, you want everyone to get a card at MSRP but those greedy idiots are doubling the prices. :D
These new cards are bad news for the next generation. It means the next "MSRP" will be two times higher and who knows how much the real price will be?

Soldato
So the rumours were true and there will be no founders edition.

Begs the question, will the 3080fe 10gb be discontinued. Would be a very cynical move if it was.

Nvidia have sold tens/hundreds of thousands of 3080 FE's for a very low price (in this climate). Compare that to what AMD has offered.... AMD has been the cynical one here, all their cards have been scalped way over MSRP.

Soldato
Nvidia will probably sell 4xxx fe cards, with a massively increased mrsp. 4080 around £950ish.

my guess is £750-£800 we can come back to this when they release :p

it cant keep up like this at some point will get saturated people wanting to off load 30 series to upgrade more cards hitting the used market ? if ETH goes POS that will add more used cards to the used market , maybe AMD will do UK drops ? Intel joining in the mid/low end will have cards hitting the market also they might do UK drops ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nvidia will probably sell 4xxx fe cards, with a massively increased mrsp. 4080 around £950ish.

Im not sure it is quite as simple as that though. If mining profits decrease/it becomes mostly pointless for recreational/home PC miners then the demand for GPU's will not be there. If everyone has just spent a fortune on 3XXX series cards this year, then a massively expensive 4xxx series card with no decent ROI with mining isnt going to be that popular except for real enthusiasts.

Mining is 99% of the problem. For large parts of the last year, we have had a product that can pay for itself within a few months. GPU's have effectively been free so it is no wonder they havent been in stock anywhere. That means there hasnt been much stock left for anyone who just wants to just game. When/if mining profitibility stops, things WILL return to normal.

Soldato
Im not sure it is quite as simple as that though. If mining profits decrease/it becomes mostly pointless for recreational/home PC miners then the demand for GPU's will not be there. If everyone has just spent a fortune on 3XXX series cards this year, then a massively expensive 4xxx series card with no decent ROI with mining isnt going to be that popular except for real enthusiasts.

Mining is 99% of the problem. For large parts of the last year, we have had a product that can pay for itself within a few months. GPU's have effectively been free so it is no wonder they havent been in stock anywhere. That means there hasnt been much stock left for anyone who just wants to just game. When/if mining profitibility stops, things WILL return to normal.

totally browsing through mining channels so many home miner setups I see like 5+ gpus I can see these hitting the used market once ETH hits POS and no alternative is around

Caporegime
totally browsing through mining channels so many home miner setups I see like 5+ gpus I can see these hitting the used market once ETH hits POS and no alternative is around

Yeh. If electricity prices keep going up and crypto prices keep dropping (or just stay stagnant for a while) its going to be barely worth it. Couple that with ETH going POS/Nvidia saying they are going to have imrpoved supply around the middle of the year, and I can see things improving soon.

If crypto prices shoot through the roof again though, that might ruin everything.

Soldato
Yeh. If electricity prices keep going up and crypto prices keep dropping (or just stay stagnant for a while) its going to be barely worth it. Couple that with ETH going POS/Nvidia saying they are going to have imrpoved supply around the middle of the year, and I can see things improving soon.

The govt are almost certain to step in at some point and basically subsidise energy costs at some point as not doing so would cause too much political point scoring from the opposition and lost votes. So expect a thriving mining industry burning electricity subsidised by taxpayers money.

Associate
OP
when/if mining profitibility stops, things WILL return to normal.

Absolutely, as some point crypto will crash hard. Just as shares do not rise inexorably, nor will crypto. Which is why I bought an fe card for mrsp, I'll still be able to sell without taking a huge hit.

Soldato
The govt are almost certain to step in at some point and basically subsidise energy costs at some point as not doing so would cause too much political point scoring from the opposition and lost votes. So expect a thriving mining industry burning electricity subsidised by taxpayers money.

There's no way this Govt will subsidise anything unless it's Socialsim for the rich. They love the free market, they created the broken energy market, and every other broken sector of our economy. All they believe in is private profit at the expense of the tax-payer.

Mining will come to end though, of that I am sure, the Greta's will kill it, and if not, the market, or it will be become obsolete, it is such a blunt tool.

Soldato
Sadly THERE WILL be alternatives (not as profitable as ethereum such as Ergo, Firo etc- also can use Nice Hash which will flip to different coins and pay out in bitcoin), by June most will switch to alternate coins- their gpus would have been paid off so effectively free- people will carry on mining. THERE WILL NOT be a deluge of gpus on the market I’m afraid. If anything Nvidia has learned that the market is willing to pay huge sums for gpus not only for mining but for other uses so the 40 series will also be released in dribs and drabs to keep supply tight and prices high.

if gpus are paid for fair enough to carry on even if its just covers the electric, but all that ETH hash rate will have to go somewhere into another coin will just increase the difficulty on that coin which already has low profit that would stop more cards being bought ?? think anything can happen just will have to wait and see

Soldato
Sadly won’t happen friends. GPU mining will continue for a long time. There are alternative coins. GPUs will still be scarce.

Its not really as simple as that, all the ETH hash rate will have to go somewhere causing the difficulty to massively increase with that coin with already low profits what happens next we dont really know

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
if gpus are paid for fair enough to carry on even if its just covers the electric, but all that ETH hash rate will have to go somewhere into another coin will just increase the difficulty on that coin which already has low profit that would stop more cards being bought ?? think anything can happen just will have to wait and see

Be careful with the blanket statements being banded about. People do not understand or are not aware that on most popular algorithms are things called ASICs. In a nutshell these devices are only good at mining that algo. Once ETH goes PoS, if they cannot be repurposed onto another clone chain they basically become a paperweight.

The reason why GPUs are used is because they can mine on multiple algorithms (thus not instantly be a paperweight) and backup plan is you can game on them!

So not all the hash rate can move about as it will render lots of these dedicated mining devices redundant. You will be surprised how much hash rate these machines eat up, and one of the reasons why truly decentralised projects should try not to allow them to creep in unless its a wanted security aspect.

Soldato
There's no way this Govt will subsidise anything unless it's Socialsim for the rich. They love the free market, they created the broken energy market, and every other broken sector of our economy. All they believe in is private profit at the expense of the tax-payer.

Lol not when it comes to garnering votes from the average man in the street they won't. You'll see.

Back
Top Bottom