The Expanse

Associate
Well started the first episode of season 5 yesterday and by 20:00 tonight I had finished the last episode of season 6. Good ending wish there was more episodes in season 6 but take what we got. From what post everywhere 5-10 years time they revisit the subject of another season but for now they done all they can do, as other the books take place after a big time jump.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I thought they were going to mess it all up because the preceding episodes could have done with just a bit more finesse, but that ending was actually alright and I shall pleasantly await any news on the final chapters.

Hopefully Alcon doesn't try to gatekeep parts of those chapters in comics or whatever as that would just be irritating, side-stories (things that weren't adapted or entirely new stories) during the first 6 books or stories between Babylon's Ashes and Persepolis Rising would make the most sense to me. I also really want to see the sorts of games they can license out for this, especially something akin to Freelancer/X-Series even if I'm not holding my hopes too highly for that though since its niche, but it could revitalise the genre if done right (maybe Starfield will make it palatable). Not super sure how to deal with the multi-week time constraints on solar system travel though, but that can be resolved with good design choices that limit that aspect if people want to. A story-orientated/space opera game that treads most of the same ground as the books/show would be decent too, kind of like Mass Effect I guess. I'd also like to see the potential for RTS/TBS and grand strategy IP's in this universe possibly more of prequel to dealing with the gate system and beyond.

There's so much more that this IP can do that I'd actually engage with that I would be upset if it fumbles along.

Soldato
Well it wasn't a bad ending glad to see no one that I liked died for the sake of sympathy, but there are a few things about the series and the final episode that I don't understand.

Were the ring entities an ex machina to end Anaros quickly, or is there something more important to them.
When the Mars Army lady went on a suicide mission to blow up the rail gun, why was she able to with stand armor piecing rounds.
Why did we get half a story about alien dogs for no reason.
Is filip just floating in space?

Seems like this has ended the current story but left enough open for someone to pick up where it left of.

Associate
Well it wasn't a bad ending glad to see no one that I liked died for the sake of sympathy, but there are a few things about the series and the final episode that I don't understand.

Were the ring entities an ex machina to end Anaros quickly, or is there something more important to them.
No, they're pretty important to what comes next. Duarte wants them dead, "I've got Gods to kill".

When the Mars Army lady went on a suicide mission to blow up the rail gun, why was she able to with stand armor piecing rounds.
She's got her Martian recon armour on. Basically turns her into a space marine with augmented strength and much better protection.

I suspect they're hoping the series will get picked up again because there's more story to come. If not you can always pickup the books which kicks on from where the series ends.

No, that was a self contained little ship. Think it might have been the skiff they were using for repairs a few episodes back.

Seems like this has ended the current story but left enough open for someone to pick up where it left of.

Associate
From what was posted about the season 6 being the last and why it due to the fact a time jump takes place, current ageing tech falls in to two categories cheap but rubbish or expensive but excellent and no middle ground. So it isn’t cost effective to age the characters to do more seasons. Frankly they could have done few more episodes this season keep it in line with past having 10 episodes but I suspect Covid-19 play a part in why we got a cut down season 6.

Soldato
She's got her Martian recon armour on. Basically turns her into a space marine with augmented strength and much better protection

I don't think it was clear that all the soldiers weren't wearing that, as Amos seem to survive the same attack yet the person behind them all who got shot instantly, died and bled out. Plus armour piercing rounds kind sound alike it would have done the job

Hooks to the next inevitable series. This felt like closure for the earth/mars/belt arc, anything from here is protomolecule and ring gates.

Soldato
It was made clear - there is a whole scene with her Mars infantry armour and ammunition arriving on the Rosi.

The rest had regular space suits.
I know that but if Amos suddenly had the same armor (as he protected her whist taking fire) I assumed that the Martians had supplied suits for everyone that was part of the ground attack. Yet that unfortunate fellow who got headshot at the start seem to not be impenetrable

Associate
I know that but if Amos suddenly had the same armor (as he protected her whist taking fire) I assumed that the Martians had supplied suits for everyone that was part of the ground attack. Yet that unfortunate fellow who got headshot at the start seem to not be impenetrable

the visor would be the weakness part of any armour, so a headshot threw this would be deadly

also Amos had his back to the incoming fire. so most likely some of the thickness part of the suit, so he could withstand the fire.
I'm also guessing that in a low G environment, the kinetic energy that the bullets would be passing into the suits would keep the suits pin down, and once pin down all it would take is the smallest of breach's in the suit seals for you to be dead meat

XPE

XPE

Soldato
About as good an ending as could have been expected with story they had been telling this year.

A bit of a Star Treky ending with the ring gate being the answer to Anaros, it should have taking out Anaros's fleet leaving it to a one on one battle between the 2, this might have been a more satisfying ending to that story.

Soldato
Watched it on Friday but wanted to think on it before posting.

I feel they finished it well to the point this could be the true end of the series or open for continuation down the line. While books 7-9 have some character differences, anyone who wants to know what happens next could easily start from book 7 and get a conclusion.

Glad they remained book faithful regards ending the Inaros arc, a moment i'd been dying to see all season on screen.

Think it's been mentioned but if you watch to the end credits, there is a hint of something within the ring space gate.

If they do carry on, i'm not sure on the casting for Duarte, starkly different to my mental image but that's just a personal thing.

Definately a gaping hole in sci-fi viewing again, I don't have patience for 'passable' sci-fi anymore - may just continue with my BSG rewatch.

Finally - credit to Dominique Tipper, there are some excellent subtleties with her acting, I despise Naomi as a character but she wasn't very likable in the book either so she's carried that well. Also apparently 'that' scream was a spur of the moment thing and caught them all off guard in the last episode.

Associate

Amos and the others were in Martian armour, just not the full on recon armour Bobby has which is probably in scarce supply. So they would have had some protection, just not the full body armour Bobby has. Amos doe get shot while protecting her but as long as the hit you take isn't instantly fatal the suits are able to seal wounds and pump your body with drugs to keep you going until you can get it taken care of (from the books). I think in his mind he was just going to sacrifice himself to protect her as her suit was about to fail. Then the Roci turns up.

Plus main characters have plate mail +4 while extras get the regular stuff.

If they do carry on, i'm not sure on the casting for Duarte, starkly different to my mental image but that's just a personal thing.

Different for me too, but I actually thought he was pretty good when talking to the sister after her brother died.
Also...
There will be that big ol' time jump and most of what we've seen of him is as an older man

Last edited:

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Appreciate this might be a bit difficult with out ruining the books and future story but

But what does the time jump add to the story?

Soldato
Different for me too, but I actually thought he was pretty good when talking to the sister after her brother died.

Granted, he did carry that scene well.

Appreciate this might be a bit difficult with out ruining the books and future story but

But what does the time jump add to the story?

A full expansion of the Laconia story, what the 'dogs' are, an explanation of the protomolecule builders and entities that wiped them out - no spoilers, all stuff that's already mentioned in the TV show.

Although only half way through book 9 so might not get a conclusion that works :D

Back
Top Bottom