TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
That was hardly surprising as you can watch live BBC channels from iplayer.

There will eventually be a tipping point where the number of subscribers dips below the minimum amount needed to fund the BBC. Which means the only way they'd continue is:
a) requesting extra funding from the government - would seem unlikely to happen long term
b) increase the cost of a license - again unlikely, the government might allow minor increases, but at that point the general public are going to be more put off paying for it.
c) have to swap to a commercial model by way of adverts or start charging a subscription for iplayer etc

They could sell off iplayer, would massively reduce operating costs. Then work out a deal to supply BBC content to iplayer yearly at a cost.

Soldato
They could sell off iplayer, would massively reduce operating costs. Then work out a deal to supply BBC content to iplayer yearly at a cost.

See i'd see that as probably their biggest asset.

It's also fairly well known now that the BBC have an archive library of LOTS of previously broadcasted content. I'm sure there's probably very little appetite for watching the first episode of Eastenders, but i'm sure there's plenty that has been archived that people would happily re-watch / pay a sub to watch (if they weren't forking out for a TV licence).

Associate
See i'd see that as probably their biggest asset.

It's also fairly well known now that the BBC have an archive library of LOTS of previously broadcasted content. I'm sure there's probably very little appetite for watching the first episode of Eastenders, but i'm sure there's plenty that has been archived that people would happily re-watch / pay a sub to watch (if they weren't forking out for a TV licence).
Brit box channel on Prime. I think its 6.99 a month. Has nothing to do with iplayer at all. Its a partnership between BBC and ITV and has all there popular films and series. Allot of which have been remastered, filtered and re coulorized. I havent watched any terrestrial TV at all since I got a firestick 12 months ago.
I-player servers only the UK market and is free to use so has very little actual value.

Soldato
Don't watch, don't pay. Every time I get a letter I register on their website and I declare I do not watch TV then they stop sending me more letters for 1-2 years.

Associate
I don't watch the BBC, make it subscription and I'll try for a month, imagine Netflix threatening to jail you, the BBC is a joke.

Also their militant left politics can go where the sun doesn't shine.

Associate
I don't watch the BBC, make it subscription and I'll try for a month, imagine Netflix threatening to jail you, the BBC is a joke.

Also their militant left politics can go where the sun doesn't shine.
Yep a bloke has quit the BBC because of them shoving diversity down everyone's throats i think they have forgotten that most of their viewers are middle aged white people.

Soldato
Had a lovely red envelope turn up the other day – apparently a “final notice”!! Think this has been the 6th final notice we have been sent, and the umpteenth threat of a looming visit. They still have no details of who occupies our address, so I’ll just leave it be. Haven’t watched any live programming for over 8 years now.

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60014514

Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries has said the next announcement about the BBC licence fee will be the last - and it was time to discuss new ways to fund and sell "great British content".

She said "the days of the elderly being threatened with prison sentences and bailiffs knocking on doors" were over.

Her comments comes as reports suggest the government is expected to freeze the £159 licence fee for two years.

The government has not confirmed this. The BBC has declined to comment.

The licence fee's existence is guaranteed until at least 31 December 2027 by the BBC's royal charter, which sets out the BBC's funding and purpose.

Soldato
I guess the BBC alienating everyone who would have supported them twenty years ago to try and gain the approval of people ideologically opposed to the concept of public broadcasting didn't work out too well

Soldato
Good I'm sick to death of their shoehorning of diversity into every possible instance imaginable if they want to make it fine but I don't see why I should fund it.

Good, but it'll be another government then so don't rly see how the current government can announce this.

Just in time for Starmer to announce he's "saving" the BBC with a massive handout of public money.

Soldato
I enjoy the content the BBC outputs, the various programmes about art both on the TV and radio are brilliant along with radio 4.

I'm enjoying the BBC sounds app with the dramas on there, anyone able to point me towards another source of these sort of plays?

Caporegime
I enjoy the content the BBC outputs, the various programmes about art both on the TV and radio are brilliant along with radio 4.

I'm enjoying the BBC sounds app with the dramas on there, anyone able to point me towards another source of these sort of plays?

Audible? Spotify? They might have that sort of thing, haven't looked though.

Soldato
anyone able to point me towards another source of these sort of plays?
agree their catalogue and commisioning is unmatched - but I doubt genX are binge listening doctor who, hitchhikers, Tolstoys, Dostoyesky, Hardy, voltaire and many excellent dramatizations

----

Anyone would think netflix weren't the diversity kings a la Bridgerton , or, very blatant, Chanel4 News Little Miss Perfect - BBC look rightish in comparison.

I don't see why they don't already limit all Iplayer access to only those with TV licenses.

Associate
I do pay for a tv license right now but I won’t be from next month. Leaving sky at the end of my contract and just going with Netflix, Amazon and Disney.

Soldato
agree their catalogue and commisioning is unmatched - but I doubt genX are binge listening doctor who, hitchhikers, Tolstoys, Dostoyesky, Hardy, voltaire and many excellent dramatizations

----

Anyone would think netflix weren't the diversity kings a la Bridgerton , or, very blatant, Chanel4 News Little Miss Perfect - BBC look rightish in comparison.

I don't see why they don't already limit all Iplayer access to only those with TV licenses.

They didn't or don't have the resources to implement it apparently.

Soldato
Surely the Tories will be out of power by then?

They failed to de criminalise non payment.

Just more lies.

I've started getting the old letters again.

Infact this latest news will probably put more pressure on the BBC to hound even more people.

Edit: just checked the latest letter. They took off all the treating language about £1000 fines etc.

Last edited:
Associate
The BBC content is guff! I'm looking forward to them binning off the stupid license and they have to compete for an audience like all the other channels.

I'm also looking forward to more operation red/dead meat announcements this week - hoping for eat out to help out 2

At least this thread has only another 5 years left in it :)

Back
Top Bottom