Windows 10

Associate
Got this installed on my new PC but getting awful lot of errors and warnings on boot up, done a bootable usb from MS creation tool. Could this be because its currently unactivated?

Wanted to make sure before I spent out a LOT of money for license.

Edit
Been reading up

OEM = If you have to replace motherboard MS will tell you to do one and get another license
Retail = They will prob help if you have to change computer.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Doubt it - I've used it unactivated quite a bit to test stuff without any differences in that respect from the activated product aside from a small number of limitations like personalisation features and the occasional warning watermark that the OS isn't activated.

Associate
will start it up tomorrow and get a screen grab of all the new errors and look into them.

Do OCUK do retail version of W10 Pro?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/micr...-32-bit-64-bit-usb-flash-drive-sw-18g-ms.html

This can't be ~£40 more expensive just for the usb?

Aside from that what should I be doing on fresh W10 install, anything I should turn off/disable or whatnot, thread is over 700 pages and goes back years lol.

I noticed something called Meet Now and Windows 10 apparently comes with skype and whatnot and I need to find a way to disable the xbox overlay press windows key and g key nonsense.

Last edited:
Associate
Is it usual to get so many audit entries especially with the id's

4672 Special Logon
4624 Logon
5379 Credential Manager Credentials were read

Couldnt really find any solid info and the 5379's can come in batches of like 60.

This has happened since day 1 of fresh install.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if its a service/program or what that is triggering them because there is so much crap that comes with 10.

Since booting up at 16:20 ive gotten
908x 5379
96x 4672
102x 4624

Just wish event viewer was more specific.

I did have to install new keyboard and update firmware (G915 TKL) which may have caused one or two extras but G-Hub was already on the system.

I know its probably nothing to worry about but after a decade of very few reports in event viewer in Windows 7 its annoying to see it busy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I use Windows 7 alongside Windows 10 every day and it still boggles my mind anyone would actually want to use Windows 10 - yeah sure it is newer and has security updates but meh. When it comes to just working and getting down to business Windows 7 is superior in every way (and far easier to cut the bloat out of and be done with it).

Associate
Star Trek Online from 15th February will actively block from running by game makers on Windows 7, flat out wont be able to run.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/s...97603-upcoming-os-and-directx-support-changes

Which is why im running 10 on new gaming PC and my first experience with it has been from this year onwards.

Currently debating whether to slap Kaspersky on new PC for better firewall and network monitoring.

kaspersky-network-monitor-tool.jpg

image not mine but just to give an idea, I have been using kaspersky on main machine for around 10 years now since it was free with Barclays.

Associate
Not sure if its a service/program or what that is triggering them because there is so much crap that comes with 10.

Since booting up at 16:20 ive gotten
908x 5379
96x 4672
102x 4624

Just wish event viewer was more specific.

I did have to install new keyboard and update firmware (G915 TKL) which may have caused one or two extras but G-Hub was already on the system.

I know its probably nothing to worry about but after a decade of very few reports in event viewer in Windows 7 its annoying to see it busy.

I agree about the crap which is why I strip nearly all of it out as soon as I've installed Windows. That may also be why I see far fewer of those events than you but I really don't know. I have to say that receiving over 1100 events in a little over an hour doesn't seem right to me though.

Associate
I agree about the crap which is why I strip nearly all of it out as soon as I've installed Windows. That may also be why I see far fewer of those events than you but I really don't know. I have to say that receiving over 1100 events in a little over an hour doesn't seem right to me though.

I have found that these crop up in batches if I click in the search bar next to windows icon or if I hover over MS account name when you press windows key to get menu up.

I tried the search bar then went to my name when clicking the windows icon to get menu up and got a 600 count so there is an audit when doing this, not sure if its related to being signed into MS account or not but honestly it seems to be running fine so dont want to break anything and have to start over again.

Cortana is already disabled its just the search thing. Didn't want to start tinkering too much and break something though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use Windows 7 alongside Windows 10 every day and it still boggles my mind anyone would actually want to use Windows 10 - yeah sure it is newer and has security updates but meh. When it comes to just working and getting down to business Windows 7 is superior in every way (and far easier to cut the bloat out of and be done with it).

Your post did not made any sense.

Me and everybody was in disbelief why on earth you and anyone would use Windows 7 in 2022, it very old OS which is nearly 13 years old. All the latest games over the last year like The Medium, Little Nightmares II, Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, Resident Evil Village, Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection, Deathloop, F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch, Far Cry 6, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, Age of Empires IV, Call of Duty: Vanguard, Forza Horizon 5, Sherlock Holmes Chapter One, Battlefield 2042, Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade, Resident Evil Re:Verse, Company of Heroes 3, Monster Hunter Rise etc did not worked on Windows 7. Also Ray Tracing, DLSS, FSR, HDR did not worked on Windows 7 because it lacked all new features like DirectStorage etc. Accorded to Steam hardware survey December 2021 survey 85.06% run Windows 10, 10.55% run Windows 11 and 3.57% run Windows 7. Star Trek Online will drop Windows 7 support next month and soon games clients like Steam, Epic Games, Origin, GOG etc, Internet browsers and anti-virus software will drop Windows 7 support. AMD, Nvidia and Intel GPUs had dropped Windows 7 driver support. The same thing been happened to Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, NT 4.0, Me, 2000, XP and Vista, all these old OSes are no longer able to download and install games because of security vulnerabilities.

Back in 2001 when it come to just working and getting down to business Windows XP was superior to Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, NT 4.0, Me and 2000 in every way, it was far easier to used XPLite to cut the bloat out of and be done with it. The same thing with Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and 11 with NTLite or any other debloat tools. Back in 2009 when it come to just working and getting down to business Windows Vista was been very stable and had no single BSOD since first day back in 2006 but Windows 7 was been very unstable on every machines caused Memory Management BSODs and searchindexer.exe caused 100% CPU usage every few days, Windows 7 was far the worst OS I been used, none of Windows updates fixed it and been tried debloat tools to stripped everything to bare minimum but Windows 7 still crashed with Memory Management BSODs and searchindexer.exe caused 100% CPU usage. I cant get Windows 7 working and getting down to business, it was absolutely been nightmare. When Windows 8 first beta leaked, thankfully I was able to getting it working and getting to business, Windows 8 was superior to Windows 7 and Vista in every way, Windows 8 RTM and 8.1 not had a single BSOD.

Over the last 7 years since beta tested Windows 10, it was very good OS that last longer than any version when it come to just working and getting down to business Windows 10 was superior to 7, 8 and 8.1 in every way with no single BSODs in 7 years. AMAZING!!!

Over the last 7 months since beta tested Windows 11, I now used Windows 11 everyday when it come to just working and getting down to business I found Windows 11 superior to Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7 in every way. Start Menu and Settings opened instantly on all 6 devices, I was able to find things I need on Start Menu in 1 sec compared to Windows 10 took about 10 to 15 secs to find things I need in Start Menu and Windows 10 settings took 5 secs to loaded. The new Microsoft Store app is much better than old app and it downloaded and installed apps much faster than old app. Now it can run subsystem for Linux with GUI apps and subsystem for Android to run android apps and games. Also I was able to find recently things what I downloaded or file opened on Start Menu just instantly compared to 5 secs to opened File Explorer and used mouse to scrolled down, I used Start Menu all the time and rarely used File Explorer. Interesting I found Windows 11 very respnded and very snappy on Surface Pro 6 with Core i5-8250U and 16GB RAM, 15 years old Dell laptop with Core 2 Duo T7200 CPU and 2GB RAM, 8 years old Linx 10 with Atom Z3735F CPU and 2GB RAM. it ran much better than Windows 10. Still got no single BSODs :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Your post did not made any sense.

Me and everybody was in disbelief why on earth you and anyone would use Windows 7 in 2022, it very old OS which is nearly 13 years old. All the latest games over the last year like The Medium, Little Nightmares II, Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, Resident Evil Village, Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection, Deathloop, F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch, Far Cry 6, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, Age of Empires IV, Call of Duty: Vanguard, Forza Horizon 5, Sherlock Holmes Chapter One, Battlefield 2042, Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade, Resident Evil Re:Verse, Company of Heroes 3, Monster Hunter Rise etc did not worked on Windows 7. Also Ray Tracing, DLSS, FSR, HDR did not worked on Windows 7 because it lacked all new features like DirectStorage etc. Accorded to Steam hardware survey December 2021 survey 85.06% run Windows 10, 10.55% run Windows 11 and 3.57% run Windows 7. Star Trek Online will drop Windows 7 support next month and soon games clients like Steam, Epic Games, Origin, GOG etc, Internet browsers and anti-virus software will drop Windows 7 support. AMD, Nvidia and Intel GPUs had dropped Windows 7 driver support. The same thing been happened to Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, NT 4.0, Me, 2000, XP and Vista, all these old OSes are no longer able to download and install games because of security vulnerabilities.

Back in 2001 when it come to just working and getting down to business Windows XP was superior to Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, NT 4.0, Me and 2000 in every way, it was far easier to used XPLite to cut the bloat out of and be done with it. The same thing with Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and 11 with NTLite or any other debloat tools. Back in 2009 when it come to just working and getting down to business Windows Vista was been very stable and had no single BSOD since first day back in 2006 but Windows 7 was been very unstable on every machines caused Memory Management BSODs and searchindexer.exe caused 100% CPU usage every few days, Windows 7 was far the worst OS I been used, none of Windows updates fixed it and been tried debloat tools to stripped everything to bare minimum but Windows 7 still crashed with Memory Management BSODs and searchindexer.exe caused 100% CPU usage. I cant get Windows 7 working and getting down to business, it was absolutely been nightmare. When Windows 8 first beta leaked, thankfully I was able to getting it working and getting to business, Windows 8 was superior to Windows 7 and Vista in every way, Windows 8 RTM and 8.1 not had a single BSOD.

Over the last 7 years since beta tested Windows 10, it was very good OS that last longer than any version when it come to just working and getting down to business Windows 10 was superior to 7, 8 and 8.1 in every way with no single BSODs in 7 years. AMAZING!!!

Over the last 7 months since beta tested Windows 11, I now used Windows 11 everyday when it come to just working and getting down to business I found Windows 11 superior to Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7 in every way. Start Menu and Settings opened instantly on all 6 devices, I was able to find things I need on Start Menu in 1 sec compared to Windows 10 took about 10 to 15 secs to find things I need in Start Menu and Windows 10 settings took 5 secs to loaded. The new Microsoft Store app is much better than old app and it downloaded and installed apps much faster than old app. Now it can run subsystem for Linux with GUI apps and subsystem for Android to run android apps and games. Interesting I found Windows 11 very respnded and very snappy on Surface Pro 6 with Core i5-8250U and 16GB RAM, 15 years old Dell laptop with Core 2 Duo T7200 CPU and 2GB RAM, 8 years old Linx 10 with Atom Z3735F CPU and 2GB RAM. it ran much better than Windows 10. Still got no single BSODs :D

You've completely missed the point of what I was saying.

End of the day Windows 10 is a turd of an OS developed by people with a poor standard of work and little care for the product they are making or the end user regardless of the situation with Windows 7 and I have no idea why you'd defend it unless you worked for MS (and even then I have no idea why anyone who worked for MS would defend it even). The point of my post is I have no idea why people would settle for not getting something better.

PS Anything Atom with 2GB of RAM and 32GB of storage space runs like **** on Windows 10/11 - will run much better on Linux, Windows 8 or even 7 though 7 lacks for driver support on those devices.

EDIT: As an aside I have a dual boot for 7 and 10 for gaming purposes and another system on 10 for gaming as well and it is a pain in the rear - I wouldn't do it just for the fun of it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I found it interesting we've rolled back a lot of office systems to Windows 7 at work (nothing to do with me I don't work in the IT side or have any real influence) - they are fully internet enabled as well so not like isolated systems albeit still supported with security updates (ESU) being a corporate system.

A lot of the systems used for specific tasks like tablets, etc. are on 10 though.

I found it interesting even though they've used a 3rd party to heavily customise the image and regularly rollout a new image with security updates, etc. it was still periodically getting its knickers in a twist about updates and causing undesirable behaviour. I think one of the reasons they might have rolled a bunch of systems back to 7 was due to Windows 10 doing something lately to try and force through updates where despite updates being managed by the corporation after awhile it would put an icon in the system tray with a permanent menu pop-up behind applications prompting the user to manually do updates, in effect attempting to circumvent corporate restrictions but it doesn't work due to network restrictions in place - not something I've seen before with any of my experiences with home systems. (Not sure if it was a bug in 10, intended or unintended but not a bug functionality or an issue due to customisation of the install).

We seem to go through a cycle of an intention to get everything on the latest and greatest version of Windows/newer hardware and then end up slowly regressing back to what actually works, repeat every few months.

Associate
@AthlonXP1800 Personally for me at the end of the day 7 is just better than 10, better ui, less junk, less errors MS say are just normal reporting like the dcom errors and such and along with all the bloat I looked at task scheduler in W10 and there are over 100 tasks set which could be contributing to the above audits I get.

On top of that after Windows 7 the UI just went to **** and I usually go into recycle bin to check whats in there before emptying and now empty recycle bin IS IN A DROP DOWN MENU, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Windows 11 looks worse than 10, taskbar centralized like a web page on a 1080 monitor that only uses the middle section of a screen, they keep changing stuff that doesnt need changing and most of the time for the worse, they know a lot of folk are clinging to Windows 7 they should take the hint as to why and copy that instead of mac.

I get more errors and warnings logged in event viewer (Which are not bad per say just notifications the majority of the time) on W10 in 1 day than I do on W7 PC in over a week and I get more audits in a day on W10 than I do on my Windows 7 machine in a week.

There is too much bloat, the install should just have the operating system PERIOD, no Skype, Meet Now, Office or any of that crap just windows with the option to not update things when everything is working because I see WAY too many posts about updates breaking stuff and it sounds like too much of a headache which I will probably find out about soon since I have been forced to bump up operating systems.

XP, Vista and 7 all used the same ui which was perfect, couldnt get any better and they proved that after the disaster that was Windows 8 which they tried to sort in 8.1 but it just went downhill from there. I mean why in gods name in the application list on windows 10 are the alphabetical breaks for the applications, ITS WASTED SPACE.

Windows 10 and 11 is like a bad remaster of old games that were absolutely badass but instead of just updating what it was they had to change stuff in it.

You can sort some of the dcoms from what ive read by going into registry and doing something with permissions and whatnot but that shouldn't be needed, they made the whole thing way too complicated for the average user and for the overly cautious these errors are just nerve wrecking.

Man of Honour
I have to disagree regarding the UI, windows 7 was ugly as sin, but we all have different tastes I guess.

Can't agree with ugly as sin - out the box it isn't amazing but few simple tweaks with the customisation options - dark(ish) theme + aero glass and it looks OK if some elements are a bit dated now - but more importantly mostly has an aesthetic balance, stuff looks like it has been designed as a whole rather than different elements slapped in as best they fit, etc.

Sure you can use 3rd party theme customisations with 10 but it is still a fragmented mess of clashing styles and approaches, lots of visual noise overall despite quite plain icons, etc. lots of elements plain almost to the point of being hostile to the eyes, things which don't look like they belong in the OS, etc.

I have Windows 7 and 10 booted up every day side by side, the 10 system is even on a much higher image quality monitor (QD-LED VA UHD vs 1440p TN) and I find 10 a eye sore and always happy to swap over to working on the 7 system.

Windows 11 in concept is how a modern Windows should look but again in practise it is a fragmented mess, missing features, MS plainly doesn't understand the design language so either borrowed the concept or the designer has minimal input overall, etc.

Back
Top Bottom