Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Quite an interesting article on the Kyiv Post website. I had thought the KP would be no more or look very difference since all those involved got sacked but it does still seem neutral.

https://www.kyivpost.com/article/op...rd-game-theory-and-putins-foreign-policy.html

I do wish our response was a little more circumspect and not just parroting what the US says. Our politicians have really been shown up on the global stage.

"I'd like to ask if US and British sources of disinformation... could publish the schedule of our upcoming invasions for the year. I'd like to plan my holidays," Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova wrote in a Facebook post.

They were doing what we have done and do. Protect there own interests. Wether it’s right is one thing but that’ll differ depending on what side you are on.

The difference is what Russia is doing with it's armed forces isn't just isolated behaviour. Increased Cyber Attacks (lets not play games as to who is doing it eh?) demands over the sovereignty of another country. "we" I assume being NATO is entirely a defensive force. Russia has moved troops as if it is planning an offensive move. The differences are quite clear.

Last edited:
Soldato
They were doing what we have done and do. Protect there own interests. Wether it’s right is one thing but that’ll differ depending on what side you are on.

You are dodging the point. Russia has demonstrated that it will attack a country...this country in particular...after it builds up sufficient military resources and puts them in position for an attack. (Which is what they are doing now)

Soldato

I mean if you think annexing territory of a sovereign country in 2022 is some subjective thing morally then I'm not sure what to tell you Comrade

Permabanned
You are dodging the point. Russia has demonstrated that it will attack a country...this country in particular...after it builds up sufficient military resources and puts them in position for an attack. (Which is what they are doing now)
Dude c’mon the crimea situation had a little bit more involved with it than merely an unprovoked invasion. Like I said if Russia is going to invade let me know when it happens…. For real though

Associate
No idea fella but I do remember the same rhetoric when Russia annexed Crimea. I remember reports of huge numbers of soldiers and equipment at the border of Ukraine, signalling an imminent invasion. It never happened.

See what I do is I take it with a pinch of salt until it’s not. I don’t hang on to every word of media or government sources or reporting. They lost me at Iraq now I take them as liars until proven otherwise.

Erm, it's the 'until it's not' scenario that has people rightfully worried. It's a bit late to do anything if you wait till then. Sure, you and I can not give two hoots but governments kinda have to take it seriously. And so the media have to take it seriously too.
This is quite different to Iraq, it's about preventing a war, not finding an excuse to start one. As someone who was presumably opposed to that conflict why would you be so cavalier about another potentially starting that could easily escalate to be far worse?

Soldato
I think people would be happy to be wrong and Russia doesn't invade Ukraine, it's not something anyone wants to happen including the US and UK governments, there's really no benefit for us

Permabanned
But it’s all speculation though. As I said Russia are not fools they know how the west would react no amount of posturing and threats from west would change that.

It’s not going to happen not before not now. It was supposed to happen last night, now it’s after the olympics. Then when the next blood moon? Someone I suspect was closest when they said it’s just postering by tow high school jocks. Sorry

Associate
I think people would be happy to be wrong and Russia doesn't invade Ukraine, it's not something anyone wants to happen including the US and UK governments, there's really no benefit for us
I don't know the War 60 odd years ago seem to be pretty profitable for likes of BMW, IBM, all arms manufacturers, in fact all the arms and crossover tech business tend to do quite well during wars. Just like pharma does extremely well in pandemics. Sure, nobody wants either scenario, but businesses are all too happy to make buckets of profit from it.

Associate
But it’s all speculation though. As I said Russia are not fools they know how the west would react no amount of posturing and threats from west would change that.

It’s not going to happen not before not now. It was supposed to happen last night, now it’s after the olympics. Then when the next blood moon? Someone I suspect was closest when they said it’s just postering by tow high school jocks. Sorry

So if they're not fools then why are they posturing like they're about to invade if they have no actual intention to? That's a huge, foolish waste of money. I also don't think they're fools and wouldn't be wasting resources like that. So it's a serious move on their part. They might be bluffing this time, only Putin knows, but you can't bluff every hand you get.
As for the kick off time, some media might have reported it as that but I'd take it as more of - from this point on they are ready to go, rather than an actual go-time. The gun is loaded, when/if they pull the trigger is up to them.

Permabanned
So if they're not fools then why are they posturing like they're about to invade if they have no actual intention to? That's a huge, foolish waste of money. I also don't think they're fools and wouldn't be wasting resources like that. So it's a serious move on their part. They might be bluffing this time, only Putin knows, but you can't bluff every hand you get.
As for the kick off time, some media might have reported it as that but I'd take it as more of - from this point on they are ready to go, rather than an actual go-time. The gun is loaded, when/if they pull the trigger is up to them.
Any military training exercises cost money. It will be costing other to react too obviously.

What do they benefit in going to war with the west? Because that’s what invasion will entail and that hasn’t changed since 2014 or post cold war

Permabanned
Can we all agree that any sovereign nation has a right to declare war on other sovereign nation and invade it? We have not outlawed invasions or declaration of war.

Associate
Any military training exercises cost money. It will be costing other to react too obviously.

What do they benefit in going to war with the west? Because that’s what invasion will entail and that hasn’t changed since 2014 or post cold war

They aren't planning a war with the west, the worry is it can spill over very easily. Especially if it becomes protracted like Syria.

You don't build multiple field hospitals for training. Nor involve the bulk of your entire army. Nor move units from your other borders. Nor naval blockade your neighbour who you've annexed land from. To write it off as one gigantic training exercise is foolish at best.

Permabanned
They aren't planning a war with the west, the worry is it can spill over very easily. Especially if it becomes protracted like Syria.

You don't build multiple field hospitals for training. Nor involve the bulk of your entire army. Nor move units from your other borders. Nor naval blockade your neighbour who you've annexed land from. To write it off as one gigantic training exercise is foolish at best.
So what kind of scenario would Russia likely train for? Attack from the Eskimos? The West obviously, they are doing nothing wrong at all they don’t have missle setups in Scotland, Canada or Mexico. They have forces within there own borders doing whatever it is they are doing. When they are in Ukraine or Mexico or Scotland then we have a situation. We encircle them not the other way around.

Man of Honour
So what kind of scenario would Russia likely train for? Attack from the Eskimos? The West obviously, they are doing nothing wrong at all they don’t have missle setups in Scotland, Canada or Mexico. They have forces within there own borders doing whatever it is they are doing. When they are in Ukraine or Mexico or Scotland then we have a situation. We encircle them not the other way around.

Never underestimate the Eskimos, climate change is robbing them of their natural habitat, its only a matter of time before they come crashing down on us mounted on their armoured polar bears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom