Windows 10

Soldato
I do agree completely that 11 is fragmented looks wise, but I still think its a step in the right direction from a design point of view. If they can make it consistent it could be lovely imo

Man of Honour
@AthlonXP1800 Personally for me at the end of the day 7 is just better than 10, better ui, less junk, less errors MS say are just normal reporting like the dcom errors and such and along with all the bloat I looked at task scheduler in W10 and there are over 100 tasks set which could be contributing to the above audits I get.

On top of that after Windows 7 the UI just went to **** and I usually go into recycle bin to check whats in there before emptying and now empty recycle bin IS IN A DROP DOWN MENU, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Windows 11 looks worse than 10, taskbar centralized like a web page on a 1080 monitor that only uses the middle section of a screen, they keep changing stuff that doesnt need changing and most of the time for the worse, they know a lot of folk are clinging to Windows 7 they should take the hint as to why and copy that instead of mac.

I get more errors and warnings logged in event viewer (Which are not bad per say just notifications the majority of the time) on W10 in 1 day than I do on W7 PC in over a week and I get more audits in a day on W10 than I do on my Windows 7 machine in a week.

There is too much bloat, the install should just have the operating system PERIOD, no Skype, Meet Now, Office or any of that crap just windows with the option to not update things when everything is working because I see WAY too many posts about updates breaking stuff and it sounds like too much of a headache which I will probably find out about soon since I have been forced to bump up operating systems.

XP, Vista and 7 all used the same ui which was perfect, couldnt get any better and they proved that after the disaster that was Windows 8 which they tried to sort in 8.1 but it just went downhill from there. I mean why in gods name in the application list on windows 10 are the alphabetical breaks for the applications, ITS WASTED SPACE.

Windows 10 and 11 is like a bad remaster of old games that were absolutely badass but instead of just updating what it was they had to change stuff in it.

You can sort some of the dcoms from what ive read by going into registry and doing something with permissions and whatnot but that shouldn't be needed, they made the whole thing way too complicated for the average user and for the overly cautious these errors are just nerve wrecking.

Yup - I swapped over to my Windows 10 system earlier to check out a HDR video as my main system on 7 can't do that - middle of the video cursor changed to the busy spinning blue circle, stutter, pause, stutter - Windows had decided to start doing stuff in the background...

As with a few systems lately (not malware) I've had to fight with it to prevent background stuff sitting there using 1 CPU core at 70-100% indefinitely whenever the OS thinks the system is idle - really don't need the fans spun up for the sake of it...

I wish there was a simple option of just swapping to another operating system and voting with my feet as the current curators of the OS need to pull their heads out their rear.

Man of Honour
I do agree completely that 11 is fragmented looks wise, but I still think its a step in the right direction from a design point of view. If they can make it consistent it could be lovely imo

Problem there is the if bit - Windows 10 for a long time people were defending the UI fragmentation and ugly icons as a step in the right direction just needed more time - ~6 years on and it is still maybe 10% of the way there...

Soldato
Problem there is the if bit - Windows 10 for a long time people were defending the UI fragmentation and ugly icons as a step in the right direction just needed more time - ~6 years on and it is still maybe 10% of the way there...

Yeh I dont think it will change much from how it is now, its a shame but not surprising.

Man of Honour
"Adjust active hours to reduce disruptions" at what point does a MS developer implement that with a straight face and not realise they maybe need to be taking a different approach... utter muppets the lot of them.

V F

V F

Soldato
"Adjust active hours to reduce disruptions" at what point does a MS developer implement that with a straight face and not realise they maybe need to be taking a different approach... utter muppets the lot of them.

I remember once Microsoft boasted Windows would never need rebooted for updates to take place.

Man of Honour
I remember once Microsoft boasted Windows would never need rebooted for updates to take place.

I don't mind rebooting now and again for updates heh - but the end user should always have full control.

I just fired up one of my laptops (hence posting that) which I haven't used for about 3 weeks or so and had to reboot it 3 times in the space of an hour to clear pending updates, etc. when you use multiple Windows 10 machines that just gets so disruptive and tedious - sure I could have deferred them in this case but the problem comes along sooner or later and typically when it is most inconvenient.

Man of Honour
FFS! I just went through and did all the pending updates on this laptop yesterday and now today it is doing a whole load more and got a notification telling me "Your device needs to restart to install updates. Select a time to restart"... give it a ******* break MS.

EDIT: Oh great and it is trying to install 472.39 nVidia drivers which are older than the ones currently on there......................................................................................................

Last edited:

G J

G J

Associate
I've been on Windows 10 for a few months now and this OS is janky like parts of it have been stitched together and I only moved from Windows 7 as software and drivers stopped working/supported or the last few releases of drivers companies seem to have given up by that point. (looking at you AMD)

Of course all information gathering/telemetry parts of the OS have had the most attention everything done on the OS is timestamped and logged. The options to change the information gatering/telemetry suck on the OS UI level so it has to be stripped out or by using 3rd party programs and there no real reason why Microsoft cant implement completely disabling this stuff.

Programs that where part of the core OS are now a Mircosoft App and again some apps cant be removed without intevention from other tools. Android apps are on their way now I wonder which ones cant be uninstalled and what google data gathering comes along with it. ( See also Edge browser below)

Massive court case years ago about Windows Media player being bundled with Windows but Mircosoft Edge (and the data gathering) is fine and cant be uninstalled. If you do manage to jump through all the hoops to get rid of it, one Windows update later its back.

Install Malwarebytes and on Windows 10 it takes over as the primary Virus Scanner with no notification or warning so had to switch it off in the Malwarebytes setting.

UI navigation taken a step backwards where again one has to use 3rd party tools to restore Windows 7 type setting, again why is this not a setting/theme.

General performance of the OS is pretty much the same as Windows 7 when the telemetry/data gethering isnt hogging the system. Theres performance gains to be had stripping out the bloat.

I'm going to stop now as I can keep going for ever. :cry:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm going to stop now as I can keep going for ever.

Hah - I have no idea why more people don't complain about 10 - which then means they shovel out the **** that is 11 and people still lap it up, instead of having any reason to do better.

For me the OS is obnoxious, disruptive and stupid but it isn't like I can just dump it for another OS or I'd be long gone.

When like I do you use nearly a dozen Windows 10 systems, over different usage patterns some daily, some might be only every few weeks, at different locations, some portable systems, used at different hours (shift work, etc.), sometimes used by different people, with different levels of access to power and internet (include performance and usage allowances) and if I start a system up generally I need to use it there and then not wait while Windows update and whatever other programs do things disruptively then Windows update implementation and functionality is pants on head levels of stupid and extremely tedious to deal with.

(To give one example a few days back I had a Windows 10 system statically displaying a diagram while referencing it for a project I was working on, cue it deciding to restart for a deferred update).

10 is also annoying on a laptop if you want it to sit there cool and quiet when idle - all sorts of background tasks/maintenance/performance profiling stuff spins up periodically causing the fans to ramp up which never happens with 7 on the same system.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'll tell you why. It's been out since July 2015. It's had all this time to mature and become stable.

Not sure what you are saying there as it is certainly lacking in terms of maturity as an OS, still a mix of UI styles, legacy issues like the start menu or explorer becoming unresponsive, large parts of the OS still look unfinished, etc. and tons of update related issues and constant serious security problems needing to be fixed. They've certainly not used the time well.

Man of Honour
******** is it! It's very stable now across a range of hardware. They could fine tune it slightly i.e updates, icons e.t.c and keep on with the security aspects rather than features.

There is much more to maturity in software than just stability. It needs much more than fine tuning to make it into a good OS.

Personally I've not really had stability problems with it even from the earliest insider builds.

Man of Honour
That's good then, a lot of people did have issues but this is why once a OS matures it becomes much more stable.

Most of the people I've seen complaining of stability issues on the feedback hub and Windows community forums, etc. are still complaining about it :s

Man of Honour
Sigh... trying to sort a laptop with high CPU usage when idle - culprit seems to be "ntoskrnl.exe!seaccesscheckwithhint+0x1c790" - from what I can work out some disc management process is trying to query a non-existent/drive in incorrect state constantly... tried all the normal tricks on Google without result... Seems it isn't an unusual problem with laptops but can't seem to find a reliable fix.

******** utter muppets at MS.

EDIT: After some other tweaks, for some reason it didn't fix it first time and I'm not sure what actually made it take, disabling the scheduled task \Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\RunFullMemoryDiagnostic seems to actually have fixed it, not something you really want disabled mind.

This isn't not just something which would run in the background doing maintenance then stop after a bit - no matter how long you leave it it just goes on and on, hours, days, weeks...

There aren't enough facepalms in the world for how stupid anyone who works on Windows 10/11 is/are.

(Despite the tone of my posts I rarely let it actually work me up - but dealing with this one has me literally seething - especially as no one at MS actually has the guts to actually engage with the community and make the OS better)

Not that I expect it to make any difference but thought I'd file it on the Feedback Hub - only to get a never ending "Please Wait - We're checking a few things." screen... *facepalm* (albeit that might be because I've had to mess around a lot with the system to solve this issue which may result in some service or something it needs being disabled).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom