Poll: Pay rise 2022

What do you expect as a pay rise this year?

• Total voters
Soldato
I'm between jobs and added 8% to my salary expectation. Whether I get that or not is another matter.
You don't ask, you don't get. Simple as.
I am a recruiter and deal with this as a job and people are always trying it, often it works. I've seen people double their salaries by changing jobs (£40-£80k) and its common to see people go from £90k-120k or £80k-100k as well. Companies this year that are not seriously evaluating their salaries and paying their staff more will have the most attrition.

Soldato
Public Sector Pay just gets nuked in real terms year on year my friend (ive worked over 20 years in public Sector) regardless of in band pay increase (which basicaly helped vs inflation rather than reward for progression) and/or any inflation pay increases. Then factor in the the recently negotiated screw over on in band pay increase no longer being yearly but instead either every other year, 3 years & 5 years depending on band. So another element to the compound paycut.

Public Sector Pay has been a pay cut / compound pay cut for the last 18 years minimum just from my experience. Ever since post agenda for change pay re-structure in the NHS anyway. The only thing that keeps people here half the time is the pension, and then gets rear ended every now and then also. Its been made worse 3 times in my time so far.

Yup, iirc my partner got ~£300 before tax. That's annually, not monthly. So about £20/month, haven't even bothered to work out what fraction of a % that is, but I find that insulting - almost worse than no rise at all :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
You don't ask, you don't get. Simple as.
I am a recruiter and deal with this as a job and people are always trying it, often it works. I've seen people double their salaries by changing jobs (£40-£80k) and its common to see people go from £90k-120k or £80k-100k as well. Companies this year that are not seriously evaluating their salaries and paying their staff more will have the most attrition.

Is that sustainable though? I think many people have willingly taken a pay cut sometimes to better fit with their lifestyles and a more "dream job" scenario.

There must come a time where just for a standard role it can't really start paying more surely? I'm not including commissions or investment bankers/stock brokers or bonuses in this. I mean there has to be a sort of glass ceiling for salaries no? It would be better to normalise average salaries to help with the cost of living rather than keep throwing money at people I would have thought.

Associate
Voted under 2% but looks like I'll be changing jobs anyway. Covid took half the work when the customers didn't put orders in again and lots got made redundant, company is losing money hand over fist so it can't offer any more

Soldato
Is that sustainable though? I think many people have willingly taken a pay cut sometimes to better fit with their lifestyles and a more "dream job" scenario.

There must come a time where just for a standard role it can't really start paying more surely? I'm not including commissions or investment bankers/stock brokers or bonuses in this. I mean there has to be a sort of glass ceiling for salaries no? It would be better to normalise average salaries to help with the cost of living rather than keep throwing money at people I would have thought.

I guess it depends on the sector - I work within technology and there is always a company willing to pay more than another esecially when experience with new or niche technologies is required

Man of Honour
I guess it depends on the sector - I work within technology and there is always a company willing to pay more than another esecially when experience with new or niche technologies is required

I suppose if they get the value from the people they employ then all the best to them! What's the recruitment market like at the moment from your perspective?

Soldato
I suppose if they get the value from the people they employ then all the best to them! What's the recruitment market like at the moment from your perspective?

In a nutshell: Too many jobs, not enough candidates!

I focus on contract software engineers and a lot of clients have decided to cease engaging people via LTD companies so roles are now by default inside IR35. There are outside IR35 roles out there but they are few and far between. Current struggle is finding people that are open to working inside IR35 which is probably around a 20-30% paycut for them based on the outside roles of the past. Companies are increasing rates but it's still a struggle to find solid candidates as software engineers are in extremely high demand at the moment, especially across React, Typescript, and Java.

Man of Honour
In a nutshell: Too many jobs, not enough candidates!

I focus on contract software engineers and a lot of clients have decided to cease engaging people via LTD companies so roles are now by default inside IR35. There are outside IR35 roles out there but they are few and far between. Current struggle is finding people that are open to working inside IR35 which is probably around a 20-30% paycut for them based on the outside roles of the past. Companies are increasing rates but it's still a struggle to find solid candidates as software engineers are in extremely high demand at the moment, especially across React, Typescript, and Java.

Now I wish I had done software 20+ years ago! :D IR35 has certainly created a mixed bag for contractors - why are there less outside IR35 roles? Is that industry driven or contractor-driven?

Soldato
Now I wish I had done software 20+ years ago! :D IR35 has certainly created a mixed bag for contractors - why are there less outside IR35 roles? Is that industry driven or contractor-driven?
Industry.

Basically the responsibility for the determination (and therefore fines) sit with the end client - it used to sit with the LTD company. So joe bloggs ltd would be happy to take on the risk previously, so they could define themselves as outside of IR35 no problem and then run the LTD company and exploit the tax loopholes it allows.

As most major end clients are risk averse and dont want any paperwork (as you can challenge a decision) they have decided that they will no longer engage with LTD companies in the supply chain which removes any risk and paperwork. But this has increased costs and slowed hiring.

Soldato
Hoping for a promotion and pay rise, but not certain on either.

That said, the company does seem to be doing well, but we won't know for sure until financial year end, and even then the results of that seem to take a couple of months to process. Luckily pay reviews (and promotions) should be dealt with after that.

If it's less than inflationary though, I won't be a happy bunny. That might sound a little entitled, but if you keep getting told you're working really well/hard (and know and feel you are) then you hope that hard work leads to suitable reward.

Soldato
4.9% here, however that's only due to it being the last year of a pay agreement that pre dates the cost of living crisis.

It's civil service, so I full expect a pay freeze or <2% pay rise for the next decade.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Feb RPI+0.2% will be my pay rise from April, so probably around 8%. Last year of 4 year pay deal agreed by unions.

Soldato
The only way for most people to get a real pay rise these days is to jump ship.

Makes me laugh how companies expect employee loyalty when they get nothing. At the same time as the CEO/execs get 6 figures or more in bonuses, even though they don't actually appear to do anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
Big one for me is I finish paying my student loan in April. Been paying 180 a month so that's going to be amazing
It's going to feel like a big bonus at exactly the right time!

Unless you really need the money, i'd consider diverting it to pension. Afterall you're not really missing it as you've never had it.

Our salary and bonuses are pretty much company profits driven. If we don't have a good year then i don't see the company giving out 7% payrises just because of inflation. Thankfully we're in a booming sector, so if we repeat last FY then should be fairly decent.

Back
Top Bottom