• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution 2.0

Caporegime
But in all seriousness hum, you clearly have a strong dislike for not just nvidia but also intel (remember that time you got suspended for telling someone to "**** off" in the cpu section because they destroyed your "pro amd & anti intel" argument? And also stopped updating the bench thread for cpus because intel were going to be topping it so raven had to create a new thread..... :cry:)

So question is, why are you still buying and using nvidia gpus? ;)

Caporegime
As much as I enjoy reading people asking others why they purchase a specific GPU brand on a forum, let's get this back on Topic of FSR please.

If you are not interested in using FSR, do us all a favour and don't post in here please. You know who you are.

If you are interested in FSR, keep it on topic of FSR and not why someone purchases a specific GPU brand. You know who you are.

Caporegime
I agree so get that thread created please hum and answer my question in that thread :)

But back on topic, any comparisons of FSR 2 to dlss yet? Initial thoughts are this won't be quite as good as DLSS as if it was, would amd not have compared it to DLSS rather than just native and FSR 1? Either way, even if it's not quite as good as dlss, it's still a step up from FSR 1.

This.

And,

What's your thoughts on this FSR 2 version Matt? Especially AMDs claims of "better than native"?

Caporegime
This.

And,

What's your thoughts on this FSR 2 version Matt? Especially AMDs claims of "better than native"?
I expect it to be similar to DLSS in the sense that it will be better than FSR 1.0 in terms of overall quality, but it will introduce blurring, just like DLSS does.

Based on what is posted here, I guess that will earn it the infamous (and always wrong), better than native status. However, in my opinion it can only be classed as truly 'better than native' if it enhances the whole image, not a distant fence by improving edges that is mostly only noticeable with 400% zoom on. Furthermore, if it causes a clear blurring of the textures, either when standing still or in motion then I consider that a reduction in overall image quality.

I'll be sure to share my opinion once I've actually tried FSR 2.0 though, I've not tried it yet so could be totally wrong. This is just my understanding of how image reconstruction works.

Having now tried DLSS and FSR 1.0 though in multiple games, I still prefer a native image given the choice.

The sacrifices to image quality when using these technologies are quite noticeable to me, as I am used to a crisp, vibrant 4K image.

Not saying these technologies don't have value. They do for those with low-mid end GPUs, or though that want to use heavy RT. For me though, the reductions to image quality when using them is too great for the most part.

Last edited:
Suspended
I expect it to be similar to DLSS in the sense that it will be better than FSR 1.0 in terms of overall quality, but it will introduce blurring, just like DLSS does.

Based on what is posted here, I guess that will earn it the infamous (and always wrong), better than native status. However, in my opinion it can only be classed as truly 'better than native' if it enhances the whole image, not a distant fence by improving edges that is mostly only noticeable with 400% zoom on. Furthermore, if it causes a clear blurring of the textures, either when standing still or in motion then I consider that a reduction in overall image quality.

I'll be sure to share my opinion once I've actually tried FSR 2.0 though, I've not tried it yet so could be totally wrong. This is just my understanding of how image reconstruction works.

Having now tried DLSS and FSR 1.0 though in multiple games, I still prefer a native image given the choice.

The sacrifices to image quality when using these technologies are quite noticeable to me, as I am used to a crisp, vibrant 4K image.

Not saying these technologies don't have value. They do for those with low-mid end GPUs, or though that want to use heavy RT. For me though, the reductions to image quality when using them is too great for the most part.

clap.gif

Caporegime
You just asked the guy who can't see RT :eek:

You would be better asking him what his guide dog's name is :D

:cry:

Fair.

Suppose it depends on the game and the setting/scene. Agree somewhat, you do need you to be zooming in 400% to see the difference but often, imo, you can see the difference without even needing to zoom in especially when it comes to shimmering and aliasing, which is far more obvious in movement and even more so with foliage, which is why I found FSR 1 to be awful in the games I tried i.e. HZD, riftbreaker, FC 6 and DL 2 as it just enhanced all these issues far more.

For someone who seems to be very sensitive to any kind of motion issues and some slight softening of the image, I'm surprised you don't find issues with TAA (or perhaps just aren't as vocal on it?) given it is arguably worse than DLSS now in my and some others experience. This sub-reddit is fantastic for showing all the issues with TAA (even dlss since it is temporal based too):

https://www.reddit.com/r/FuckTAA/

It's why I use DLSS even when no need for extra perf., which is why I'm hoping FSR 2 will be as good so that there is another alternative to TAA.

Guess horses for courses and all that. Some people won't use any kind of AA and rather put up with aliasing, shimmering where as for me, those are completely immersion/game breaking.

Caporegime
Fair.

Suppose it depends on the game and the setting/scene. Agree somewhat, you do need you to be zooming in 400% to see the difference but often, imo, you can see the difference without even needing to zoom in especially when it comes to shimmering and aliasing, which is far more obvious in movement and even more so with foliage, which is why I found FSR 1 to be awful in the games I tried i.e. HZD, riftbreaker, FC 6 and DL 2 as it just enhanced all these issues far more.

For someone who seems to be very sensitive to any kind of motion issues and some slight softening of the image, I'm surprised you don't find issues with TAA (or perhaps just aren't as vocal on it?) given it is arguably worse than DLSS now in my and some others experience. This sub-reddit is fantastic for showing all the issues with TAA (even dlss since it is temporal based too):

https://www.reddit.com/r/FuckTAA/

It's why I use DLSS even when no need for extra perf., which is why I'm hoping FSR 2 will be as good so that there is another alternative to TAA.

Guess horses for courses and all that. Some people won't use any kind of AA and rather put up with aliasing, shimmering where as for me, those are completely immersion/game breaking.
I find that Radeon Image Sharpening (RIS) is great for helping to improving image quality (IQ) /sharpness in games that have settings that soften the image. It also does not cost anything in terms of FPS.

I tried NIS as a comparison, but it was inferior in terms of IQ, and it costs FPS, and it sharpened up the whole desktop too making that look bad. Perhaps the latter was easy to fix though, I didn't use it long enough to see if it could be applied via a game profile only.

Remember Halo? Remember those videos I posted that showed far less blurring of the image in movement compared to examples that were being provided on that Reddit thread? That was RIS at work and it can really help in situations like that. That's probably why blurring is less of an issue for me, but I can spot it quite easily when it's introduced to my system.

I am keen to see if it happens with FSR 2.0. Maybe FSR 2.0 will have a RIS/CAS Sharpening pass implemented like FSR 1.0, so it may be less of an issue. We shall see.

Caporegime
I find that Radeon Image Sharpening (RIS) is great for helping to improving image quality (IQ) /sharpness in games that have settings that soften the image. It also does not cost anything in terms of FPS.

I tried NIS as a comparison, but it was inferior in terms of IQ, and it costs FPS, and it sharpened up the whole desktop too making that look bad. Perhaps the latter was easy to fix though, I didn't use it long enough to see if it could be applied via a game profile only.

Remember Halo? Remember those videos I posted that showed far less blurring of the image in movement compared to examples that were being provided on that Reddit thread? That was RIS at work and it can really help in situations like that. That's probably why blurring is less of an issue for me, but I can spot it quite easily when it's introduced to my system.

I am keen to see if it happens with FSR 2.0. Maybe FSR 2.0 will have a RIS/CAS Sharpening pass implemented like FSR 1.0, so it may be less of an issue. We shall see.

Radeon Image Sharpening works so well, Its the one thing i miss, i don't use DLSS, ever, to my eye's it does have an impact on the image quality and yes i expect FSR 2.0 to be the same.

When i had the 5700XT i ran RIS globally, just 20% sharpened, a subtle difference but every game looked better, some how it brought out fine details that in native form would be blurry, it made the whole image look slightly more crisp.

Its in SweetFX, i'm using it here. https://imgsli.com/MTAwMzky its worth switching back to AMD just for RIS, SweetFX is finicky and it doesn't always work.

My flagship, HMS Gulliver :)

wGMJ0Mf.jpg
yKj2oyO.jpg
YJVPmGi.jpg
qX17ZRL.jpg

Associate
I've just found out about this and I was feeling I had to wait for the next gen graphics cards but now I think I could get away with buying a 6600. I have a 5K2K monitor - absolutely huge because I use it for work. I haven't gamed for years but would like to again.

I'm not obsessed with super-high quality graphics and this monitor is capped at 60fps. I just want games to look okay and be playable. And I don't need high framerates. I want to play strategy games and Jedi: Fallen Order. That sort of thing. I do have a 1440p monitor in the garage I could drag out but I don't have a lot of space. With this technology, do you guys think I might be able to get away with a 6600 and game on the 5K2K monitor? I don't think it has FreeSync if that matters.

Caporegime
I've just found out about this and I was feeling I had to wait for the next gen graphics cards but now I think I could get away with buying a 6600. I have a 5K2K monitor - absolutely huge because I use it for work. I haven't gamed for years but would like to again.

I'm not obsessed with super-high quality graphics and this monitor is capped at 60fps. I just want games to look okay and be playable. And I don't need high framerates. I want to play strategy games and Jedi: Fallen Order. That sort of thing. I do have a 1440p monitor in the garage I could drag out but I don't have a lot of space. With this technology, do you guys think I might be able to get away with a 6600 and game on the 5K2K monitor? I don't think it has FreeSync if that matters.
Could you stretch your budget to a 6700 XT? If not i would go for the 6600 XT instead.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

From memory you would use enhanced sync.

Yup, it's one of the reasons I stuck to my 6900XT and sold the 3080Ti I had briefly. Still fast enough at 4k but the overall quality is just sublime :cool:

images

Associate
Could you stretch your budget to a 6700 XT? If not i would go for the 6600 XT instead.

I mean, I could. We're taking me into a price bracket I'd prefer not to spend for casual, occasional "burned out from work and want to just to press buttons for a bit" gaming. But if I need to in order to game on this monitor rather than juggle monitors, it's doable. I'd consider just getting a console but sometimes I like games like Dominions and Total War: Warhammer. I don't think strategy is really a thing on XBox.

I came here after watching this video because I knew there'd be a thread on this here. It honestly seems almost too good to be true but the benchmarks and quality are very impressive:

So, you would say with this I could use my 5K2K monitor for medium graphics gaming on a 6600XT or - slightly less pushing my chances - a 6700XT? Is that a fair summation?

From memory you would use enhanced sync.

I have no idea what that is! :D

Back
Top Bottom