• Six to seven years

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Seven to eight years

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Older than eight years

Votes: 9 2.1%

• Total voters
Associate
I got fed up of bad battery and went a bit mad on the upgrade.
I wanted a small phone, not Samsung and a good camera so I obviously chose... An S21 Ultra!

The camera is very, very good though...

The longest I had a phone was the Nokia 402 (re-badged Nokia 5110 from Orange). Had it for 4 years, 2000 to 2004. I kept it for that long because I wasn't interested in a contract and just ran it on PAYG sim.

The shortest I had a phone was the Samsung A70, for 10 months. It was good in most respects but the camera was a let down for indoor shots.

Current phone is the S20 Ultra which is 2 years old. I will keep it for another year, which will make it my 2nd longest running phone by then.

Associate
Samsung note 9,, got it on release so coming up for 4 years. I have occasionally considered changing it but can’t really justify it, performance is still very good and camera is good enough for my needs and I love using the pen as a remote shutter so if I do change I probably go for another note.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I had a S7 Edge from new for about 5 years was cheaper to get a new phone rather than replace the battery.

Soldato
Iphone SE which is around 12 months old. Prior to that i had my Iphone 8 for around 4 years. Just upgraded for the small performance boost and improved battery.

I really think the days of changing regularly are over with such small improvements. I find phone upgrades fall into the following groups

1 - Battery has degraded so people upgrade
2 - Contract has expired so just take a new phone out of habit, switched now from 24 to 36 months
3 - Phone enthusiast who wants the latest technology
4 - People who want to show off

Last edited:
Associate
iPhone 8 Plus from new, so 4.5 years but will be replacing this sept release even though its still absolutely fine and on original battery; its finally starting to look a bit dated to me

V F

V F

Soldato
iPhone 8 Plus from new, so 4.5 years but will be replacing this sept release even though its still absolutely fine and on original battery; its finally starting to look a bit dated to me

Why... because of the circular button?

Soldato
Only ever had 5 phones and I would have all of them except my original Huawei got damp so stopped working (while walking). Moto G1 came next and is now used only for mp3 playback when out walking. No problem if it gets wet or broken. 1 phone not used much and the larger Honor 10 is mostly used for media playback and trying unknown apps. Main phone is kept as clean as poss with only essential apps installed.

Associate
had an s9 with a cracked front and back (i bought it that way...it was cheap) but the battery was just terrible and the screen was mildly getting worse. Priced it up and got a deal on an s21 that worked out cheaper than a screen replacement and a battery. I'll run this until it's in such a terrible condition too

Soldato
4 year old iPhone 7 - Reporting Maximum Battery Capacity of 87%

Top cause of battery drain is “No Mobile Coverage” at 37% - the joy of living in a stone farm house with foot thick walls in the middle of nowhere.

Soldato
When you see what the top end ones cost and how little they improve every year now, it seems crazy to upgrade too often. Sticking with my OnePlus 7pro one more year. Then I'll upgrade due to no update to android 13.

Back
Top Bottom