***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
It's been a while since I've posted here. I've been looking at lead guitar a bit more as of recent and started learning Johnny B Goode, I can play it slowly but sloppy. A lot of other strings ringing out and bends that I weren't too happy with. After a few weeks there was some improvement with how I could play it, but I decided I need to find a teacher.

Justin Guitar basically taught me how to play, right from picking up a guitar for the first time. But after the beginner course I found myself a little lost, despite looking at his intermediate course. I felt a bit overwhelmed on what to really focus on and you just don't get that 1-1 guidance with online courses, I'm pretty sure I've also picked up some bad habits.

I had my first lesson last week and it went really well. He listened to where I'd like to be and what my goals are. After an assessment he said I'm looking to be at working towards grade 3 or 4, and pointed out some things I need to learn before we proceed, such as expanding my open chord knowledge and playing in different timings other than 4/4. He said I can play in time though which is encouraging! It's very structured and he has mentioned about the exam route, exams are a thing I never really considered but he does offer them and the support with them if I wanted to go down that path. There's quite a few different exam boards to choose from, not really looked at them. Not sure, I want to keep it fun but I can see how working towards passing exams and grades could help with drive and focus. It's great though to have actual feedback on technique there and then.

So I'm back looking at grade 1 and 2 things that I neglected, like open chords that I either ignored or never looked at or properly learnt (I never learnt the small F!).

gFQjiz8.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It's been a while since I've posted here. I've been looking at lead guitar a bit more as of recent and started learning Johnny B Goode, I can play it slowly but sloppy. A lot of other strings ringing out and bends that I weren't too happy with. After a few weeks there was some improvement with how I could play it, but I decided I need to find a teacher.

Justin Guitar basically taught me how to play, right from picking up a guitar for the first time. But after the beginner course I found myself a little lost, despite looking at his intermediate course. I felt a bit overwhelmed on what to really focus on and you just don't get that 1-1 guidance with online courses, I'm pretty sure I've also picked up some bad habits.

I had my first lesson last week and it went really well. He listened to where I'd like to be and what my goals are. After an assessment he said I'm looking to be at working towards grade 3 or 4, and pointed out some things I need to learn before we proceed, such as expanding my open chord knowledge and playing in different timings other than 4/4. He said I can play in time though which is encouraging! It's very structured and he has mentioned about the exam route, exams are a thing I never really considered but he does offer them and the support with them if I wanted to go down that path. There's quite a few different exam boards to choose from, not really looked at them. Not sure, I want to keep it fun but I can see how working towards passing exams and grades could help with drive and focus. It's great though to have actual feedback on technique there and then.

So I'm back looking at grade 1 and 2 things that I neglected, like open chords that I either ignored or never looked at or properly learnt (I never learnt the small F!).

gFQjiz8.jpg
I found having a teacher and regular lessons was more beneficial in a very short time to my playing that ten years of YouTube videos and books. I kept is light avoiding exams and focusing on learning songs I wanted to play and picking up technique along the way. Having someone who can watch and listen to you I found invaluable in ironing out bad technique.

Soldato
I found having a teacher and regular lessons was more beneficial in a very short time to my playing that ten years of YouTube videos and books. I kept is light avoiding exams and focusing on learning songs I wanted to play and picking up technique along the way. Having someone who can watch and listen to you I found invaluable in ironing out bad technique.

I agree it's totally invaluable having that feedback. I've also been doing it alone also, no jam buddies. So have been craving a bit of interaction with someone with the instrument.

It's early days but I think I'll progress well as he seems like a good teacher. That's another thing; it's one thing to be able to play guitar and have fantastic knowledge, but it's another thing to be able to teach and do so effectively, it's a skill in itself.

Am still not sure about the exam route. I'll keep it in my mind, but keeping it fun and interesting is what I'd like to focus on.

Soldato
I finally picked up my unused acoustic guitar from my mums. I've now got time and some drive to pick up and learn.

Complete beginner to any instrument. I've been following some YouTube videos (Justin guitar). D chord is hard. Any advice ongoing for a guitar newb? Ultimately I want to just sit in my living room and be able to play something melodic off the cuff (that's the 10 year aim).

If you can afford it, I would say get an electric guitar as well, as they are more fun to learn on. Make sure it has a nice action, i.e. the strings aren't too hard to press down. Then, learn what drop D tuning is and tune it to that. Now you can play chords easily with one finger, and make your own songs up. Also, listen to your favourite songs and attempt to play over them, so that you start getting faster fingers and start being able to solo. It doesn't matter if it's tuneless to begin with, hopefully you will be able to hear what works, and make something up of your own that sounds alright. Ultimately it's about you having fun.

Associate
Only just discovered that this section of the forum exists, so thought I'd ask a question about alternate picking and see what stick. Basically, my question is this... How can anyone pick 16ths with their wrist (not whole arm) at any quicker than 115bpm? I've been playing badly for years, but feel that my left hand is fairly effective, however I cannot pick at speed to save my life.

I feel very comfortable with alternate picking, but just seem to have a very low ceiling when it comes to speed. I don't believe it's a synchronicity issue as to be clear I'm not necessarily even talking about different notes. Say I just want to tremolo pick a note, I end up using my whole forearm which slowly tenses, and then transitioning from that to a strum or picking other notes is incredibly jilted, and just doesn't sound natural.

Just as an example, take Stockholm Syndrome by Muse. Can play the opening riff to that using my whole foreararm with ease, but then the transition from that to the verse comes with a tension release which completely ruins the flow. I've spent a long time trying to play using just my wrist with a metronome, but keep getting to about 110/115 and then no further. Any information gratefully received, frustrated me for years now!

Associate
Thanks for these, having a quick watch of them on my lunch break - The first video is the most interesting to me as it's more the how-to technique I'm interested in. I understand the points made about economy of motion, but it looks like one of my issues may be the actual pick grip, as I tighten my grip to go faster. That works, but then it's impossible to transition into anything.

Looks like a I have a fair few nights (weeks) of playing guitar whilst dropping my pick all the time ahead of me!

Soldato
Gotta be relaxed, bro :p

For absolutely ages I would always hold the pick with thumb + 2 fingers and then hit a real wall when I learned that having the middle finger free was actually really useful for various hybrid picking things... unlearning that habit was absolutely miserable!

Associate
That was how I started, I actually held the pick between my thumb and middle finger! My index finger kind of curled over the top of the pick. It was useful (and still is, at times) for pinch harmonics, but I spent quite a while training to just use thumb and forefinger. But a death grip has resulted!

Soldato

I'm all for modellers..axe fx/kemper/line 6 etc, but you're not getting that mic'd/amp sound from them

see the X tape mark on the floor - read before Gary Moore had that on stage so he knew where to stand to get the huge feedback/everlasting notes like in Parisienne Walkways...

Last edited:
Associate
Only just discovered that this section of the forum exists, so thought I'd ask a question about alternate picking and see what stick. Basically, my question is this... How can anyone pick 16ths with their wrist (not whole arm) at any quicker than 115bpm? I've been playing badly for years, but feel that my left hand is fairly effective, however I cannot pick at speed to save my life.

I feel very comfortable with alternate picking, but just seem to have a very low ceiling when it comes to speed. I don't believe it's a synchronicity issue as to be clear I'm not necessarily even talking about different notes. Say I just want to tremolo pick a note, I end up using my whole forearm which slowly tenses, and then transitioning from that to a strum or picking other notes is incredibly jilted, and just doesn't sound natural.

Just as an example, take Stockholm Syndrome by Muse. Can play the opening riff to that using my whole foreararm with ease, but then the transition from that to the verse comes with a tension release which completely ruins the flow. I've spent a long time trying to play using just my wrist with a metronome, but keep getting to about 110/115 and then no further. Any information gratefully received, frustrated me for years now!

Check out Troy Grady on youtube, starting with Cracking the Code and go from there:-

https://youtu.be/VKiO3VhdNmY

Also this interview is very good for a bit of behind the scenes talk:-

https://youtu.be/ginvHRCavBA

Man of Honour
I'm all for modellers..axe fx/kemper/line 6 etc, but you're not getting that mic'd/amp sound from them

I've been using Modelers for a very long time and always told my sound is excellent on stage.
Yes you can't do a Ted Nugent and know exactly where to stand to get a certain feedback but I don't play like that anyway.

It was the same argument in the 70s when I bought my first synth that tried to emulate pianos, Rhodes, Hammond organ, strings etc, yes they were awful.
It was around 1988 when Yamaha released a module that was very impressive sound wise and since then nobody bats an eye at a synth player playing all these bread & butter sounds because they are so accurate, it's been the same for guitar modelers for at least 10 years.

I attended a demo at GuitarGuitar quite a few years ago where they set 6 amps up, 3 Modelers and 3 valve amps.
Not one of us in there could identify which was which.
Come to think of it they were getting feedback out of them.

Soldato
You can get feedback out of a plugin/modelled amp just fine if you have it playing back through a loud enough speaker...

But I'm totally convinced at this point anyway. Much as I loved to believe that there's some secret mojo in real analogue electronics that could never be replicated, it's just not true - any situation where you essentially have a signal transformation of any kind can be near-perfectly replicated by technology now

Soldato
I can sound equally bad no matter the gear.

I never liked the sound of older solid state amps or the players who used them. That said I've never played at a volume that would get the best out of valve amp either and unlikely ever to do so. When I had one in my youth I used a power attenuator. But then stuck a pedal in front of it.

Some will say modelers don't play the same but are undistinguishable when recorded. Makes sense I guess.

I've only recently taken back up the guitar and I just have a BlackStar practice amp. Nothing special, don't love it. I do like the sound of those Yamaha amps I've heard online though.

Soldato
The top string on my tanglewood electric acoustic snapped tonight. My first string snap. Should I replace all the strings or just the one? I have a full pack of tanglewood strings

Man of Honour
I’m very happy with my Helix. Works excellently in a cover band, same I guess as what @SexyGreyFox is using it for. I can switch tones very quickly

Massive problems at todays gig.
Plugged in my pedal and a horrible sound came out of it.
I'm able to plug electric in one input and acoustic in another but it was having none and affecting everything, PA going mad and everybody's in-ears.
Luckily 50% of the set is keyboards and 50% of my guitar parts are acoustic so I was able to plug the acoustic straight into the PA and had to play some electric stuff on acoustic - nobody knew.
At the end we told the Manager of our problems and she said I'd plugged into the wrong sockets that aren't meant for us :eek:

Back
Top Bottom