The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Then they just need to quit or block the people that annoy them.

Yes, but (a) many of them aren't mature enough or self controlled enough to do that, and (b) even if they do block them, they'll still know that they're there, and the very thought that these people are back on Twitter is intolerable to them.

In any case, it's not just about wanting to reduce content that annoys them, it's also about wanting their opponents to be perpetually punished.

Hopefully they can improve the platform - but it seems to be in a death spiral.

People have been predicting the death of Twitter for years, it never happens. Like Facebook, Twitter is now too big to fail.

Permabanned
Yes, but (a) many of them aren't mature enough or self controlled enough to do that, and (b) even if they do block them, they'll still know that they're there, and the very thought that these people are back on Twitter is intolerable to them.

In any case, it's not just about wanting to reduce content that annoys them, it's also about wanting their opponents to be perpetually punished.

meh what can you do. Annoy them more till they block you back. :D

Soldato
I pay no attention to this stuff mostly, I'm not on Facebook/Twitter etc, can anyone tell me in simple terms why the far left are all up in arms about Elon buying it?
There not. But any sensible person would be wondering what Elon's true motives are with all of this. Ya know given he is a massive lose cannon himself.

Soldato
Because they're terrified that a bunch of people who've been banned from Twitter will now be unbanned and come back to annoy them again.

You don't need to follow them to encounter them on Twitter, there's a lot of cross-posting and retweeting that'll make them turn up in a feed unexpectedly.

Yea pretty much, theyre just triggered some right wingers are gonna say something they dont like in their safe space, I saw someone today on instagram say they were going to delete their account.... spoiler alert: they wont.

Man of Honour

I think there is also a (c) - they in some way revel in the drama surrounding it. I certainly know first hand of a few people who are (c) including some family members

Man of Honour
Yea pretty much, theyre just triggered some right wingers are gonna say something they dont like in their safe space, I saw someone today on instagram say they were going to delete their account.... spoiler alert: they wont.

Thats pretty much the same as all the people who said they would leave the UK if Brexit happened, but havent moved an inch or that they would stop watching X in movies because of something they did/said but still watch them or even in the gaming world those people who said they wouldnt touch a Blizzard game again after all the hoo-hah around abuse in the company, yet now are in World of Warcraft again because they are releasing a new expansion. What people threaten to do and what they actually do is rarely the same, or the tldr is peoples bark is seldomly backed up with bite.

Soldato
To be replaced with equally deranged persons is not salvation.

I'll repeat that the only way to make Twitter self-regulating is to remove the block function completely.

Most people on the left don't want to talk to anyone outside their bubble. It's guilt by association in their minds. It's the 'no platform' mentality. So most would leave.

I particularly don't like these lists that Twitter as. Someone can add you to a list and then direct people to attack you. I got added to a list on there and luckily I noticed I was added as the only way I could get off it was to block the person who added me. But someone who gets lots of notifications might not have noticed they were added.

There is also the block lists. So you add the block list to your account and anyone on that list is auto-blocked.

Soldato
Most people on the left don't want to talk to anyone outside their bubble.

This has to be one of the the most moronic tropes that exists today. Just go onto the right wing social media sites like patriot.win and see how they celebrate that its an echo chamber with no opposing views allowed :cry:

It's not a Left/Right issue just a delicate snow flake / normal person issue and delicate snow flakes exist across the whole political spectrum.

Man of Honour
This has to be one of the the most moronic tropes that exists today. Just go onto the right wing social media sites like patriot.win and see how they celebrate that its an echo chamber with no opposing views allowed :cry:

It's not a Left/Right issue just a delicate snow flake / normal person issue and delicate snow flakes exist across the whole political spectrum.

Putting a space between snow and flake is a direct attempt to circumnavigate the forums blocked word policy, I am offended and demand that you be immediately cancelled :D

Soldato
This would just mean the idiots who think free speech is absolute start crossing the line by doing things like making death threats and saying stupid things that are actually illegal without knowing free speech doesn’t cover that and get themselves into trouble.

To be honest, it's amazing how many people (plenty in this thread to be honest) know so little around the laws governing speech and believe true "free speech" exists.
But i think you're right, i can see Twitter becoming more of a toxic waste land than it already is and i wouldn't be surprised if Elon dumps it within a few years as it's not exactly a money maker - I did read a tweet earlier saying he's supposedly (no source, no idea if it's true) borrowed $22bn to buy it.

Most people on the left don't want to talk to anyone outside their bubble.

Hence the increase in right leaning platforms like Parler, yeah? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom