Games worth upgrading your system for

Associate
Hi guys, this might sound silly but waiting for GPUs to reach MSRP made me forget one fundamental thing: are there any games worthy upgrading for?

My current configuration is outdated but still plays ok most titles at 1080p but given that it's an early 2013 build with just a GPU upgrade it's starting to inch closer to component failure risk.
I found myself almost ready to push the buy button on an RX 6700xt at MSRP (I don't need upgrade advice here so please leave hardware choices aside) and I do have a system to be assembled around it in mind, but ironically unlike before I struggle thinking of any "killer app" that would push me to upgrade.

The most demanding game in my wishlists is Shadow Warrior 3 but I couldn't bother getting it at full price and it's hardly worth spending over a month of salary for it...
Do you guys feel there are any games published in the last 2 years that would be worthy upgrading for?

RTS and RPGs with the occasional FPS are what I mostly play, this is my GOG wishlist to give you an idea of my tastes: https://www.gog.com/en/u/Zarax999/wishlist

Thanks for any suggestions!

Soldato
Atomic Heart, Forspoken, and STALKER 2* are some of the games I'm looking forward to that might also be graphically demanding. But of course, they could end up being average/bad games that aren't worth playing immediately, if at all!

Are you happy staying at 1080P? Any interest in sampling ray tracing?

*Obviously this one is up in the air given current events

Soldato
Well Kenshi struggles on any system but that's just due to the age of the engine. Add a couple of groups and switch between zones and it grinds to a halt :)

I've played Zero Horizon Dawn on a 5600XT with decent fps 1440 but really wanted a HDR600+ monitor to take advantage of the graphics in that. I've been playing Icarus which can really push my RTX 3080 in DX12 with ray tracing but it also crashes a lot more so DX11 is better and much easier on the GPU.

At the moment I think you're fine until a demanding game appears that you really want play. I'm also waiting for lower end GPUs to get a bit cheaper to complete a 2nd system.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Depends upon your gaming preferences.
I'm sold on DCS, which can happily use all the horsepower currently available to pretty much any brand new PC. Whether you want to get stuck into something that requires quite a lot of effort is another matter.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your answers!
I'm pretty happy at 1080p/75, I do VSR older games to 1440p as I've got a 1080p 32" monitor, I'm not interested in ray tracing for now as it's too demanding for the GPU budget I have (<600€) so I will worry about it in about 5 years.

Associate
There are some amazing looking titles in development using the Unreal 5 engine, that general shift in fidelity has me thinking about upgrading. But generally no, not really. There’s a vast library of older games to explore at bargain prices that run great on my existing graphics card. And also many newer games too. Chasing high frame rates in brand new triple A titles using the latest high end hardware has gotten too expensive for my tasets.

Associate
Depends on what GPU you have and what sort of things you want to play. I've had a stab at vampire bloodhunt over the weekend, and for me it really benefits from a really high frame rate even though its not the most graphically demanding game. So in that case it may be worth the upgrade for a more competitive experience

Soldato
Being an old system adding that 6700xt will most likely limit the card. Hold your money, save some more and buy a new system when AM5 will come along - or whatever Intel will bring to the table.

Associate
OP
Being an old system adding that 6700xt will most likely limit the card. Hold your money, save some more and buy a new system when AM5 will come along - or whatever Intel will bring to the table.
Thanks but I'm not going to add that card to my geriatric setup, I'm looking for reasons to upgrade everything.

Soldato
My reason's not tied to specific game, but man it's nice to have a high end PC and just max out all the things and play at 144fps+ on a 1440P monitor on any game I play.

Associate
OP
My reason's not tied to specific game, but man it's nice to have a high end PC and just max out all the things and play at 144fps+ on a 1440P monitor on any game I play.

Thing is that right now the most demanding game I play is Shadow Warrior 2 and my RX590 is (barely) able to keep it maxed out at 1440/75...

Back
Top Bottom