*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
it wont let me create a folder called Administrative Tools in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" it puts it as windows tools and I have a windows tools folder with the shortcuts in, but they dont show up when going through the control panel.... Surely whatever's in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Tools" should appear in windows tools through the control panel aswel?

TsKDfCX.jpg

Soldato
How to use local accounts on Windows 11 version 22H2 devices - gHacks Tech News

I'm only going to quote a key part of the article, as the rest contains instructions with lots of images.
Microsoft announced that it would extend the Windows 11 Home requirement of a Microsoft Account and Internet connection during setup to Windows 11 Pro in early 2022.

The upcoming Windows 11 version 22H2 will enforce the requirement for all devices on which Pro is installed on. The change won't affect existing devices that are upgraded to the new version. These will work as before when local accounts are used, and even if no Microsoft Account exists.

Windows customers who install Windows 11 Pro from scratch on a device, and customers who bought a device with Windows 11, will need a Microsoft Account to complete the initial setup.

There have been workarounds in the past to bypass the requirement. One involved disconnecting the Internet connection during setup, another to run commands or kill specific tasks. It is unclear whether any of these will continue to work, as Microsoft has clamped down on these bypasses in recent builds.

Most Windows customers may have no objections when it comes to the requirement. Using a Microsoft Account has advantages, including that the license is attached to the account, that syncing of data may be used between devices, and that account access may be restored even without access to one of a user's devices.

Microsoft has been criticized for the move. Installation can't be completed any more without Internet connection, which means that it will become a frustrating experience in certain environments. Others have objected to the change because they want to use local accounts, for instance, for privacy reasons.

Microsoft made it more difficult to create local accounts in its Windows 10 operating system in 2019. Back then, it was possible to disconnect the Internet connection to get the local account setup option.

Soldato
That'll be the final nail in the coffin for me, not that I use Windows often at all outside of the work environment. I did have 11 installed on an old NUC (that I boot up once in a blue moon to test something), but downgraded to 10 to test an issue I was having. Can't be bothered to install 11 again as it does nothing for me.

Microsoft seem intent on annoying their customers these days; if it's not secure boot forcing people to upgrade their hardware, it's Microsoft accounts so they can spy on you even more and block you from installing Windows offline. No thanks.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This really is sad. Wish they just went back to paid versions of Windows. Rather pay for it then have this "free" versions where they have crap loads of telemetry and now want to disable local accounts.

They need to be careful, Steam is doing a good job of Linux and allowing games to work well over there. Eventually they may start losing gamers that don't like the direction they are heading in.

Man of Honour
This really is sad. Wish they just went back to paid versions of Windows. Rather pay for it then have this "free" versions where they have crap loads of telemetry and now want to disable local accounts.

They need to be careful, Steam is doing a good job of Linux and allowing games to work well over there. Eventually they may start losing gamers that don't like the direction they are heading in.

If there was any other OS which covered my needs I'd have ditched Windows a few years back.

I've always used an MS account. Very handy. Not a good idea forcing them on people though.

Personally I have as well - but I don't agree with it being forced on poeple or needing to go online to install the OS, etc.

Man of Honour
As soon as it affects me Windows is gone. It won't take much to push me onto Linux exclusively.

Sadly Linux can't replace the stuff I use Windows for - I'm familiar enough with Linux and programming I've previously built an extensively customised shell based off Blackbox so can get the UI exactly how it suits me best.

Man of Honour
Windows 10/11 is why I love macOS so much. The only reason I use Windows is because I have to in order to play the games which I enjoy.

Associate
Sadly Linux can't replace the stuff I use Windows for - I'm familiar enough with Linux and programming I've previously built an extensively customised shell based off Blackbox so can get the UI exactly how it suits me best.

Whereas I can do everything I need to on Linux now, except for some games. That's becoming less of an issue though, thankfully.

Soldato
Has anybody running Windows 11 on a laptop noticed higher temperatures than Windows 11? Although I don't see any CPU hogs in Task Manager, the CPU is sitting at around 60c just running Firefox. I'm sure it wasn't this hot on Windows 10.

Man of Honour
Has anybody running Windows 11 on a laptop noticed higher temperatures than Windows 11? Although I don't see any CPU hogs in Task Manager, the CPU is sitting at around 60c just running Firefox. I'm sure it wasn't this hot on Windows 10.

Check GPU use as well - 11 has more complex UI elements.

I find both 10 and 11 terrible for it though - unless I use a cocktail of 3rd party apps like Shutup10, etc. to kill all the background rubbish the idle CPU utilisation is constantly well above 1% - often well up in the single digits, fans ramping up periodically, etc. while my Windows 7 system at idle is mostly at 0% with the odd flicker to 1%.

Over a quick 30 minute test period there was an almost 20% difference in power use...

It is ridiculous you need to use 3rd party apps just to make the OS basically behave sensibly.

Back
Top Bottom