When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Norways a bit more wealthy than us ? (& presumably their wealth fund is not invested in oil)

Can anyone who believes there will be 40m EVs by 2035 tell me why the overall new car purchase rate of 2.3-2.9m cars per year is suddenly going to be exceeded? Are UK incomes going to increase significantly? Are EVs going to come down in price below historical ICE vehicles so that loads more people can afford new cars?
the flaw in the logic , is that the 40M (journey introduced ?) is indeed the total number of cars for 2035, only 25M (still 60%) will be phev/ev, but if you want to maintain the 1 for 9phev/ev 3-22KWh public charger ratio that London currently has, that suggests 2.5M chargers nationwide.

Apparently 60% of national households have off street parking, so that's only 10M phev/ev cars that really need a public charger; phev/ev's maybe predominately owned by richer folks with off street parking too.

if we have one public charger for every 10 cars on the streets, that is still 1M chargers for 2035

we need a city planner - !Boris.

Associate
2 new charge points in our near train car park. Problem is the cars park and stay there all day :p

This needs to be 20 or 50 charge points really. They can be slow and cheap as people are parked there for many hours.

E.g install 20 7kW chargers in a train station car park instead of one 150kW charger.

In China some of their parking areas have 80-100 chargers so there’s no worries about one being available.

Associate
I've never seen a charge point outside of a motorway service station! Even then theres like two of them amongst parking for 100+ cars

The govt aren't going to meet their 2030 targets are they.

There’s quite a few
F3-ABB4-F3-C4-ED-402-E-9-C24-D17-A0112-D3-B4.jpg

And at motorway stops (admittedly need more like this)

FRsFkQ3WYAYpRRr

Associate
I've never seen a charge point outside of a motorway service station! Even then theres like two of them amongst parking for 100+ cars

The govt aren't going to meet their 2030 targets are they.
You probably aren't looking for them. Around here (Peterborough) most supermarkets, most gyms, the odd garden centre and all council owned car parks have them.

Soldato
Not to mention hotels!
Hotels is an important one, for me at least. The news that there will be a new starter at work (who hopefully I can palm my company car off to...) has got me looking at EVs again. I think my need for public charging when doing my longer work visits (which therefore require a night away) would drop to pretty much zero if I could guarantee a full charge at my accommodation.

It will start to make business sense too for the hotels because at the moment I just stop where I fancy so maybe a generic Holiday Inn or Premier Inn one time and a small B&B or hotel the next. If I had to charge up and only, lets say, Premier Inn gave the opportunity to book a charger as well as the room they would get 100% of my business in an instant.

That would just leave my out and back trips which are generally under 400 miles in a day (500 max) so a couple of rapid coffee break top ups might be enough to see me back home. Just need HMRC to make their advisory "fuel" rate for EV's more reasonable than the current 5ppm.

Caporegime
Hotels is an important one, for me at least. The news that there will be a new starter at work (who hopefully I can palm my company car off to...) has got me looking at EVs again. I think my need for public charging when doing my longer work visits (which therefore require a night away) would drop to pretty much zero if I could guarantee a full charge at my accommodation.

It will start to make business sense too for the hotels because at the moment I just stop where I fancy so maybe a generic Holiday Inn or Premier Inn one time and a small B&B or hotel the next. If I had to charge up and only, lets say, Premier Inn gave the opportunity to book a charger as well as the room they would get 100% of my business in an instant.

That would just leave my out and back trips which are generally under 400 miles in a day (500 max) so a couple of rapid coffee break top ups might be enough to see me back home. Just need HMRC to make their advisory "fuel" rate for EV's more reasonable than the current 5ppm.

Its coming but its slow. So far Premier inn has charging points at just 7 hotels

Premier Inn hotels with electronic charging points​

But they intend to install a further 500 charging poimts across their 300 sites over the next 3 years. At less than two charging points per site it doesnt seem to meet demand. once the first 2 people have booked their charging point (if its bookable and not just first come first served) then everybody else with an EV is stuffed. to my mind they should be putting about 10 charging points in now at their larger hotels with options/room to install more later.

5ppm was more than adequate IMO but with current electric prices it needs uplifting. I know the petrol/diesel is based on the last quarters average fuel price, I wonder if EV ppm is done the same?.

Soldato
Its coming but its slow. So far Premier inn has charging points at just 7 hotels

Premier Inn hotels with electronic charging points​

But they intend to install a further 500 charging poimts across their 300 sites over the next 3 years. At less than two charging points per site it doesnt seem to meet demand. once the first 2 people have booked their charging point (if its bookable and not just first come first served) then everybody else with an EV is stuffed. to my mind they should be putting about 10 charging points in now at their larger hotels with options/room to install more later.

5ppm was more than adequate IMO but with current electric prices it needs uplifting. I know the petrol/diesel is based on the last quarters average fuel price, I wonder if EV ppm is done the same?.
That can't be right surely, even the Premier Inn on Slough Trading estate has them?

Soldato
Premier Inns - at least one, I have stayed at, had the parking outside the ground level rooms ... so like selecting airline seats, if you books the right room , can't you run an extension lead out the window.

Associate
They really just need a load (20/30/40+) of 7kW chargers in the car park - hotels and anywhere people park for a long time. As mentioned people will start choosing their hotel, days out, shopping locations based on good charging availability so it’s a no-brainier to bring in business.

Caporegime
They really just need a load (20/30/40+) of 7kW chargers in the car park - hotels and anywhere people park for a long time. As mentioned people will start choosing their hotel, days out, shopping locations based on good charging availability so it’s a no-brainier to bring in business.
But people who use a premier inn can’t afford a EV unless it’s their company car scheme giving them one. In any case they are able to claim all business expenses do not sure why they would bother when they can claim costs and time for sitting in a charger.

These Car schemes subsided by tax cuts of course …. Discuss

Back
Top Bottom