Converting to Linux

Soldato
Ok, so Windows 11 has finally annoyed me to the point that I'm giving dual boot with Linux a go on my laptop. I've gone for Mint Cinnamon, and opted for Evolution for email, Chrome, and I've got WhatsApp and discord on there so far. I'm loving how clean everything is to be honest.

Not so thrilled on the lack of MS Office and Onedrive so far, but could see this being a daily driver if I can sort out Onedrive.

Does anyone have any advice to somebody coming voer from Windows for the first time? I'm familiar with Linux in a terminal sense as I play with RPi's a fair bit. Not really dabbled in desktop before though.

Soldato
Just remember that there are more or many desktop options with infinite customisations. So if for whatever reason something in the UI ended up annoying you, there likely is a way to change it or pick a different desktop environment entirely.

Btw there are open source OneDrive clients for linux.

Soldato
OP
Just remember that there are more or many desktop options with infinite customisations. So if for whatever reason something in the UI ended up annoying you, there likely is a way to change it or pick a different desktop environment entirely.

Btw there are open source OneDrive clients for linux.
Any recommendations? I know I sync works but you have to pay, I've heard of rclone too but apparently it's a bit patchy.

Associate
I'm using LibreOffice - probably one of the best open source office suites - for Linux.
LinuxMint is from Ubuntu, so if your stuck about things, search for Ubuntu etc.

I started the switch from Windows to Linux Mint - a nice start from switching to Linux.

I use rclone to backup/sync my files to BackBlaze B2 - since being on Linux, you can't do the normal BackBlaze backup for PC (windows/mac).
It works fine, I encrypt the files locally using rclone, then sync em upto B2.

I've since moved onto PopOS.

Associate
Does anyone have any advice to somebody coming voer from Windows for the first time? I'm familiar with Linux in a terminal sense as I play with RPi's a fair bit. Not really dabbled in desktop before though.

If you are going to use Flatpaks, I suggest downloading Flatseal - allows you to easily configure what permissions you want each Flatpak to have.

Associate
Ok, so Windows 11 has finally annoyed me to the point that I'm giving dual boot with Linux a go on my laptop. I've gone for Mint Cinnamon, and opted for Evolution for email, Chrome, and I've got WhatsApp and discord on there so far. I'm loving how clean everything is to be honest.

Not so thrilled on the lack of MS Office and Onedrive so far, but could see this being a daily driver if I can sort out Onedrive.

I converted fully about 2 years ago. Wiped windows from the desktop and laptop and switched. It was a bit of work. I run a business and we have lots of mail merge documents we use, and these all had to be converted completely. Rebuilt as libreoffice writer documents instead of ms word. Never going back now though.

Libreoffice is just as good as office in my opinion. It's the usual thing - you have to get used to it. I did not realise how much I'd become accustomed to quirks in word and things that did not work quite right. Now I would not be very good at using ms word and I've found there are things in libreoffice that work better (and things that are not as good). Whatever you are used to is what you use best. If I was forced to switch back to windows now I'd still use libreoffice. No doubt about it.

Onedrive is easily replaced. Use nextcloud. I installed my own instance of nextcloud on linode. It is superb. I have not lost anything. And nextcloud is free and fully open source. Also has a great notes functionality that I use now instead of evernote.

I started on Mint, and that's what I still have on the laptop. On the desktop I have Manjaro KDE and it's a beautiful looking OS. Very regular updates from Manjaro and everything runs smooth. This system has been installed for about a year and a half and it runs like clockwork. I never have problems.

For photoshop - use GIMP. I used to pay for photoshop but now I do the same simple editing I need to do in gimp.

For PDF editing functionality, like I used to get from Acrobat Pro, I now use PDF Studio from Qoppa. I pay for that. I need to do stuff with pdfs.

I used to use syncbackpro to keep various hard drives mirrored. Now I use freefilesync. It's just as good. I was cynical at first because of the way it looks, but I've been backing up my data and mirroring it with freefilesync for 2 years and it's never put a foot wrong.

I tried Evolution but it does not work that great. I switched to Thunderbird and it's very good.

All my contacts and calendars are in the cloud and accessible from my phone like they used to be when I used google apps and later the microsoft equivalent. Except now they are in nextcloud so private - which is a nice change.

If you stick with it you will probably find that it's a myth that you need windows to get stuff done. I used to think that, but I've found I was wrong.

Associate

My first reply here but welcome to LM. I gave up on Windows 4 years ago and will never go back. Your point about OneDrive, I use a sync program called InSync, yes, you have to pay a little for it but if you regularly check their website they are always offering deals. Its functionality is great.

Good Luck

Man of Honour
A few years ago I converted full time to Linux (Kububtu) apart from one game. Unfortunately I drifted back to Windows almost full time because my employer removed the option to remote into my work VDI from Linux. They insisted on a tool that checked you were running MacOS or Windows and all patched had been applied. So I started using Windows more again.

It looks like I may be made redundant shortly so I will go Linux again after that. I will also change my strategy and if Windows is needed I will probably run it inside a VM instead of dual booting. That will keep me on Linux.

I only buy AMD graphics cards for the Linux compatibility. I avoid Nvidia.

One tip. I found that Libre Office Writer was not quite 100% compatible with Word. Sometimes a document formatted in Libre didn't quite look the same on Word. So wherever possible I exported it as a PDF instead. That way it looked exactly as I had written it. Libre has a PDF export option built in

Back
Top Bottom