WBAC Values

Soldato
Selling a car for more than what you bought it for because of the recent rises just means you'll be paying over the odds for it's replacement.

My 2014 diesel Focus is worth the same now as what I paid for it in 2019 according to WBAC and their friends.

OcUK Staff
OP
Selling a car for more than what you bought it for because of the recent rises just means you'll be paying over the odds for it's replacement.

My 2014 diesel Focus is worth the same now as what I paid for it in 2019 according to WBAC and their friends.

Unless your mate is the sales manager. ;)
But yes your absolutely right that is generally the case.

Man of Honour
I suspect they will list the car around £7000-7500 and hope the buyer also takes on finance and maybe a service pack as WBAC were at £6500 and Motorway was at £6814, so great price from Cazoo and super easy to deal with and not a penny knocked of the car.
I'd be astounded if it goes up for any less than £7995.

Valuation definitely falling for our car, down about 20% since October (Cazoo's offer is actually 25% lower but WBAC is now slightly above them). CAP are reporting lower prices overall past few months also.

OcUK Staff
OP
I'd be astounded if it goes up for any less than £7995.

Valuation definitely falling for our car, down about 20% since October (Cazoo's offer is actually 25% lower but WBAC is now slightly above them). CAP are reporting lower prices overall past few months also.

All the people I know in the industry are reporting a slow down but sales are still good, just not insane crazy how they were but as each month passes it seems to slow.

Soldato
All the people I know in the industry are reporting a slow down but sales are still good, just not insane crazy how they were but as each month passes it seems to slow.

I nearly said "good prices will hopefully start to drop on used cars" then I realised most of my money is tied up in my current car which will also drop :p

Soldato
@Gibbo how long before you booked for your mothers car to be collected to them actually collecting it?

They’ve given me a good price on my car compared to others.
Fwiw motorway took 2 weeks to collect mine. Nothing to do with them, just Ecomotive, the firm they use (mostly old blokes doing it for fun) are booked up pretty hard.

Associate
I had a Astra K 1.6 Turbo on a PCP deal, needed £5100 to pay off the finance and WBAC offered me £7800 so they paid that off and gave me the difference, no hassle had the money in my account in three days

Car had done 48k miles and had a bit of damage on the rear passenger wing (thanks to the wife!)

Soldato
Sold my 2017 E220d Estate to Cazoo. It was a very high spec with a lot of desirable options, but they offered me £1000 more than a Mercedes’ dealer and £1500 more than WBAC. I dropped it off at their service centre which was a painless experience - cash was in my bank account within 10 seconds of the guy hitting the OK button on his tablet.

I knowingly paid about £2000 over market price for it 3 years ago due to the spec, condition and low mileage. Cazoo gave me £3000 less than what I paid for it, I’d put 30K miles on it, about half of which I’d expensed at 45p a mile so I’ve actually made a profit!

It appeared on Cazoo about 3 weeks later for £100 less than I bought it for in 2019. It’s still on there, now reduced by £500. I think it’s still about £1500 overpriced even for todays market, there’s plenty of E classes of that vintage on the market because MB were knocking them out on cheap lease deals right, left and centre back then.

Their marketing of vehicles is quite poor - for example on Mercs they don’t list Premium or Premium Plus in their model descriptions, yet they’re listed on the V5. Mine had the Driving Assistance Pack fitted but they’ve only shown standard cruise control but with a photo of the adaptive controls, they’ve listed reversing camera when it’s got the 360 surround cameras. The pictures are sufficient to see all the options it has but you have to know what your looking for.

There’s a C Class on there listed with “Premium Audio”, but I’m sure it hasn’t got it because it’s not a Premium Plus and it was never available separately. It’s got the plastic stick on Burmester speaker grilles you can buy on Alibaba for a few quid!

Soldato
I’ve got cazoo collecting on the weekend. How is their process? I’ve sold to WBAC before and found that straight forward.

Put the cars condition as “Good”. No kerbing/corrosion to alloys, some very minor stone chips on the front and interior is in very good condition. Some marks have been touched up in the past but they’re very minute.

I’m just concerned they may haggle if I get someone who is very picky?

Associate
My wife has put her car up with carwow and motorway to see what comes back, possibly not the best time with the bank holidays but hopefully we will get a good offer, seemed less chance of any items being picked up on collection via motorway with the amount of photos you needed to provide to show any marks, compared to carwow where you just give a rough idea of condition.

Soldato
I’ve got my car being collected by cazoo tonight. Though, now I’m uncertain they may go ahead with it. I have owned the car just over 5 months, (6 months at the end of this month), in the booking email it stated that in order to sell to them, I need to be the registered keeper for a minimum of 3 months.

In their terms and conditions it says 6 months.

Anyone have any experience? Earlier in the thread it also said 3 months as a quote from their terms and conditions.

Whether it’s changed between when I booked and now, I’m unsure.

Soldato
I’ve got my car being collected by cazoo tonight. Though, now I’m uncertain they may go ahead with it. I have owned the car just over 5 months, (6 months at the end of this month), in the booking email it stated that in order to sell to them, I need to be the registered keeper for a minimum of 3 months.

In their terms and conditions it says 6 months.

Anyone have any experience? Earlier in the thread it also said 3 months as a quote from their terms and conditions.

Whether it’s changed between when I booked and now, I’m unsure.
No harm in giving it a go I’d say. It was 6 months when I asked them a while ago but if it says 3 months in the email then they can hardly kick up a fuss…

Soldato
No harm in giving it a go I’d say. It was 6 months when I asked them a while ago but if it says 3 months in the email then they can hardly kick up a fuss…

Well it’s gone. Didn’t haggle or anything. Didn’t mention it being less than 6 months. Tbf the lady was great. Surprising however is, she didn’t really check the car over. She was happy with how I described the condition online. Money in my account before she put it on the transporter.

Soldato
seems premonitory of what they think will happen in used car market with current economic situation

Cazoo has confirmed it will cut 750 jobs in the UK and rest of Europe as part of a plan to slash costs by £200m.
The redundancies will see Cazoo’s workforce cut by 15 per cent as it struggles with disappointing sales and plunging consumer confidence that has seen people cut back on big purchases.
The online used-car dealer has seen has seen its share price plummet 87 per cent since it listed on the New York Stock Exchange at an eye-watering £5bn valuation last year.

e:
While aiming to save cash, Cazoo said it expects sales to double to 70,000-80,000 units in 2022 from a year earlier and forecast annual revenue of between 1.4 billion pounds ($1.75 billion) to 1.5 billion pounds, two times higher than a year ago.
nonetheless? they think they will sell twice as many cars and double revenue, so - profit/car is halving or worse

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
seems premonitory of what they think will happen in used car market with current economic situation

This was writing on the wall, we are all happily taking advantage of them giving us essentially too much for our cars and they then sell them for what they paid or there abouts, but have had cost associated with preparation, marketing, advertising etc. Relying on customers buying on finance and additional warranties is risky ground when you essentially typically paying above trade values for vehicles and in some cases close to retail.

Not great for Cazoo or their employees but for us as sellers it has really made selling used cars so easy and getting good money without any hassle.

OcUK Staff
OP
Would love to see their advertising costs. Silly buggers.

Indeed but for us as sellers the likes of Cazoo, WBAC, Motorway, CarWOW has really made our life's much easier, no longer having to pay to advertise cars, deal with phone calls and total randoms turning up at your house and still getting close to what a regular buyer would give you.

The likes of these companies can also help you with trade in values too, when a dealership offers you x amount for your trade in and you then let them know that Cazoo has offered you a higher amount they either laugh at you or match the offer. Win all round for us. :)

Caporegime
Not surprised to see the Cazoo situation, they recently bought my nephews M240i off him despite him crashing it twice (once fixed via insurance so a logged claim you’d surmise) he’d taken it from 15 to 28k miles and basically lost about £3k off its purchase price which was around £26k a year or so back iirc…

Having driven it after he’s got it back the second time, I wouldn’t be wanting to buy it at half the price, it now drives terribly compared to when he first got it, it’s suffered suspension damage and despite its supposed repair, you can very much tell.

I’d have thought they’d be thoroughly checking purchases, but having seen his experience, it appears not….

Back
Top Bottom