*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Bought my 2nd quest 2 yesterday after selling my 1st about 6 months ago. Sold it as i was receiving an aero anyday at that time, thought i wouldn't use it etc. Well 6 months later (now) the aero is getting refunded and i have a q2 again. Just got to say what a great headset it is, and that's not even considering its low price, it's just great fullstop. Love or hate meta they've knocked it out of the park with the q2. The only way i'll part with this 1 is when upgrading to a quest 3.

Surprised that you didn't give the Pico Neo 3 link a go?

Associate
After my aero (and pimax) experience i'm a bit more cautious now when it comes to buying new vr products. I know what i'm getting with a quest 2. Plus i'm in the minority who actually likes the q2 stock headstrap :D. It's great for lying down and just watching movies etc, just been watching Netflix lying on my bed, couldn't do that with the pico due to its headstrap. The pico does look interesting though, wired pcvr is gonna be visually slightly better due to that dp connection. But i'm happy with the q2 with link.

Caporegime

While I am happy to see competition, the Meta Quest 2 is cheaper and has vastly superior software, both in terms of the OS/features and update frequency and also the library of titles available. Meta have teams of the worlds best VR engineers and developers working on the Quest 2 and there is no way that the Pico Neo 3 can ever hope to compete with that. The only benefit you are getting with the Neo 3 is an uncompressed stream, though with tweaks you can get the Quest 2 looking damn good. Wireless streaming on the Neo3 from the PC is also getting some bad feedback at the moment too.

After my aero (and pimax) experience i'm a bit more cautious now when it comes to buying new vr products. I know what i'm getting with a quest 2. Plus i'm in the minority who actually likes the q2 stock headstrap :D. It's great for lying down and just watching movies etc, just been watching Netflix lying on my bed, couldn't do that with the pico due to its headstrap. The pico does look interesting though, wired pcvr is gonna be visually slightly better due to that dp connection. But i'm happy with the q2 with link.
What were your negative Pimax and Aero experiences, do you have any posts or threads I can read? :)

Associate
What were your negative Pimax and Aero experiences, do you have any posts or threads I can read? :)
There's threads/posts on here u can find, but to sum up, the pimax 8kx and especially the varjo aero imo have some good standout features such as large fov and high clarity, but they are let down with problems, such as faults in production and QC (both arrived to me with faults). In the case of the aero i received a defective item at 1st, which was replaced with another aero with even more faults. The 8kx casing cracked after 5 months of ownership, pimax support were not helpful, thankfully amazon refunded me. It's put me off small vr tech companies with expensive products.

Soldato

Ah, that's fair enough. It's just TheOracle is very happy with his and it's not overly expensive. Thought you might be tempted to give it a go since you tried headsets from Pimax and Varjo and because TheOracle had layed the groundwork and tried one out.

You like the stock strap on the Quest 2? You freak!! :p Nah, I actually know a few people with the Quest 2 who love the stock strap.

It's put me off small vr tech companies with expensive products.

I hear you. I would never have bought a Pimax headset for that reason. Was expecting Varjo to be much better though. Bytedance own Pico, so I am expecting their next release to be a serious contender. That's if their beta test with Pico Neo 3 goes well.

Soldato
While I am happy to see competition, the Meta Quest 2 is cheaper and has vastly superior software, both in terms of the OS/features and update frequency and also the library of titles available. Meta have teams of the worlds best VR engineers and developers working on the Quest 2 and there is no way that the Pico Neo 3 can ever hope to compete with that. The only benefit you are getting with the Neo 3 is an uncompressed stream, though with tweaks you can get the Quest 2 looking damn good. Wireless streaming on the Neo3 from the PC is also getting some bad feedback at the moment too.

The Quest 2 isn't much cheaper, not the 256GB model. And remember the display port cable comes free with the Pico Neo 3. There are more advantages than just the uncompressed streaming. Larger FOV, full RGB support(not limited like the Quest 2) Better lenses, ADB out of the box, better stock strap.

As for the games library, that will come, as will the updates and features. Pico will have loads of money, their parent company is ByteDance(Tiktok) So getting the best engineers or developers onto their platform won't be a problem.

Are there disadvantages? Sure, the Pico Neo 3 is a beta headset. They have made that clear. They are going to have issues to iron out. Like the Wireless Streaming and the Steam VR aspect ratio. But they are one better than the Quest 2 in regards to wireless, at least they are supporting it from the very start, unlike on the Quest 2, where it needed third party developers to enable wireless connection to a PC. Even the cable connection was still in Beta. The other thing is if you buy a Pico Neo 3, you will get their final release headset at a discounted price.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Quest 2 is great. I have one and will continue using it. The only reason I was asking Tyke would he have considered the Pico is that he is coming from trying out two wired PCVR headsets. So a Standalone games library wasn't going to be a concern.

Soldato
Pico neo support wireless straight away, but that's still a long time after it was available for the q2. If it had been the same release date I'd have been more impressed, but supporting a well supported feature a year and a half later seems less impressive :D

I'd also have more security concerns with the Pico over meta. Facebook are invasive but they can still get in trouble for screwing up. Bytedance I'm not so sure if there'd be any consequences for serious data breaches.

Associate
So....my quest 2 ownership (round 2) lasted just a few days, it's just been picked up to go back to the retailer. Reason being I spotted a dead pixel so requested a refund which happened really quickly. So that's 3 consecutive headsets now i've received that have had dead pixels (2 aeros and a quest 2)!

Soldato
So....my quest 2 ownership (round 2) lasted just a few days, it's just been picked up to go back to the retailer. Reason being I spotted a dead pixel so requested a refund which happened really quickly. So that's 3 consecutive headsets now i've received that have had dead pixels (2 aeros and a quest 2)!

Maybe the dead pixel is in your eye, not the headsets?
50743288142_4132b2c759_o_d.gif

Soldato

That's so unlucky :( Are you getting another Quest 2? Or giving up and going to live in a cave somewhere? :p

Associate
Your so unlucky with headsets, I think you should just give up entirely:D
No chance :D

Maybe the dead pixel is in your eye, not the headsets?
50743288142_4132b2c759_o_d.gif
It crossed my mind :D

That's so unlucky :( Are you getting another Quest 2? Or giving up and going to live in a cave somewhere? :p

I'm getting another quest 2 AND going to live in a cave!

Definitely this.... No one can be that unlucky to receive 3 headsets all with the same problem

It happened! From reading around I think Quest 2 dead pixels are quite rare so i was unlucky there but the aero dead pixels, it's not too uncommon.

Edit: using the meta/oculus browser app use this test http://www.immersha.com/webvr/vr-pixel-test.html i bet some people have 1 but don't know about it. I have become skilled (and paranoid?) in spotting them :D there was no way i was accepting 1 on a near £2k varjo aero. The quest 2 dead pixel i thought about just not bothering with a refund etc. If i get another (new q2 arrives tomorrow) i'll probably just let it go if it's just 1 (and book an optician appointment :D!).

Last edited:
Caporegime
i bet some people have 1 but don't know about it. I have become skilled (and paranoid?) in spotting them
If I have a pixel that I notice in normal usage then of course, it's an issue, and I would send it back like you did. However, if I have a dead pixel and I do not see or notice it in ANY of my VR usage situations then it simply does not matter.

Associate
If I have a pixel that I notice in normal usage then of course, it's an issue, and I would send it back like you did. However, if I have a dead pixel and I do not see or notice it in ANY of my VR usage situations then it simply does not matter.
I agree. Unfortunately i noticed all 3 with normal useage (the dead pixel test website just confirmed it), the aero 1s i noticed in msfs, the q2 one against a black background during loading screens and then in the cave house (but i had to look for it in the cave house). The q2 one i ummed and arrd on whether to return it. The aero 1s, no question. Big reason was when i come to sell the aero (like i do all my 'old' hmds when i upgrade) i would have to disclose there was a fault, a dead pixel. This would significantly reduce sale price, i'm not prepared to take that hit.

Edit: my new q2 arrived 30 mins ago, during setting up i detected no dead pixels, after setup went straight to the pixel test, spent a good 10 mins in it, detected no dead pixels :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom