Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Good to see people cancelling Virgin's crappy service. I have not had them for years and would never go back. Internet was always terrible, ping was high, outages 3 times a week. replacement superhubs all over the place, then telling me area was over subscribed, was like this for 2 years with no investment in the areas infrastructure. should have left way earlier then I did.

Associate
They don't usually fight much on the initial call, they'll call you back in a week or so with some kind of 'deal'
I didn't even get that, but did get a letter two months after leaving with a good deal I would have taken if offered in time.
I do miss the speeds when downloading big files, speed was always good for me.

Soldato
They offered me 500mb for £32/month. Technically cheaper then Gigafast but I want to support the rollout of fibre and it has symmetrical upload.

Soldato
Good to see people cancelling Virgin's crappy service. I have not had them for years and would never go back. Internet was always terrible, ping was high, outages 3 times a week. replacement superhubs all over the place, then telling me area was over subscribed, was like this for 2 years with no investment in the areas infrastructure. should have left way earlier then I did.
A lot of us don't have the option to choose though and are stuck with them if we want fast Internet access

Soldato
A lot of us don't have the option to choose though and are stuck with them if we want fast Internet access
This!

I'm on Gig1 with Virgin but if I leave them ~63Mbps is the best we can get. Frustratingly Lilaconnect are putting 1G into Stoke but because our village is just over the border in the Staffs Moorlands council area, they haven't done a deal to use the ducts so aren't coming at this stage - crazy considering we're between Bucknall which has it and Western Coyney which also has it so they literally need to come a couple of miles up the hill to service a fairly large area.

Even more frustratingly, BT have 0 plans for the area either and seem to have put their focus into competing against Lilaconnect in the city instead so BT is at least 6 years away based on their current roll out plans.

To be fair I've not had many problems with Virgin over the years and not a big gamer anymore where ping matters but it's nice to have the ability to jump between to get the best deals etc.

Soldato

Eh, I've always had ok service.

What royally irks me is getting screwed for price by NOT leaving and having this stupid price hiking and having to call up to beg for less outrageous bills.

Soldato
Same here I have BT @ 66mb but when you get used to the speeds its hard to go back

Just been offered M500 + phone for £28 agent couldnt get the 1gb cheaper than £50 might take the offer as I imagine Cityfibre /BT wont hit my area till next year

Soldato
Also on the cancel bandwagon. They normally will offer better when I actually cancel but on the renew phone call they offered worse than current, oh and to put the cherry on the top they sent me a letter saying the package I get for 68pm is available for 45pm to new customers!

Anyway, I think I can get fibre now so will try for that, if it looks like it will work to my home I will get the install done and then cancel Virgin. With home working I can't actually take the chance that Virgin will offer better before actual disconnection (even though I think they will), I have to sort an alternative and get that working before cancelling.

We just don't use the TV any more over and above the freeview channels, the landline is only used buy Virgin when they want to call. The broadband is a solid 200mb package that has been faultless but cost wise its time to move on. For 45 a month i'd stay but there you go!

Reading the above I will call them back when I have a firm idea on Fibre and go through to cancel to see if they will better the offer, M500 plus phone for 28 would be perfect.

Soldato
Anyone had or know why my last 2 bills with Virgin Media for fibre is more expensive than the previous bills? Literally no explanation, just less discount so my last 2 bills are now £11 more expensive per month! WTF?

Soldato
Same here I have BT @ 66mb but when you get used to the speeds its hard to go back

Just been offered M500 + phone for £28 agent couldnt get the 1gb cheaper than £50 might take the offer as I imagine Cityfibre /BT wont hit my area till next year

Take it and then order an o2 SIM for £8 odd and get a free upgrade to Volt Gig1 and mobile for £36/m, just remember it needs to be the same detail on both bills.

Caporegime
What speeds do people on M500 actually get ? just wondering, I'm currently on 350 but seem to be connected at around 390 ish all the time.
Downloaded a game on Steam the other day and my download speed peaked at 41Mb/sec, decent for my M350 connection. I feel that their download thresholds are a little more flexible beyond whatever package you're on, though only at certain times. I still don't get why they have such restrictive upload speeds though.

Back
Top Bottom