• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Caporegime
I dont know, I have not bought a case for a decade - my Corsair Carbide Air is doing a grand job as it was a long term investment. Are the latest fad of cases completely devoid of good airflow design I take it?
not exactly but a side case than used to drop cards by 10c, modern cases have a glass panel with no fan

Associate
I just read the rumours about the 4090ti needing 850w. At current electricity prices that’s £20 a month to power just the graphics card for three hours every day. Hmm I think I can get away with that with my wife! Wish me luck everyone

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I just read the rumours about the 4090ti needing 850w. At current electricity prices that’s £20 a month to power just the graphics card for three hours every day. Hmm I think I can get away with that with my wife! Wish me luck everyone

According to @Quartz its trivial. :cool:

Have you done the maths? Compared to the cost of a GPU the cost of the electricity to run it is indeed trivial by comparison - pennies per hour. Unless you're gaming all day every day then the electricity costs are indeed small. I'm on 26.57p per kw/h. I have a system that uses 600W. That's 15.4 pence per hour. I can game all evening for a pound. Let's say I game all evening 5 days a week - I don't - so £1 / day. That's £200 a year. My actual gaming usage is far less, perhaps 2 - 3 evenings a week for 3 - 4 hours at a time, so I'm spending maybe £50 per year on gaming electricity. PC (and console) gaming is very cheap entertainment once you're over the initial purchase cost.

Should the October rises and going into 2023 switch to more frequent adjustments you might see a 50% increase again. Hopefully with your locked in prices you will be golden!

Last edited:
Soldato
It's only a couple of days a year. Or a couple of days a decade here in Aberdeen. That day it was supposed to get super-hot it was overcast here and we had rain.

Obviously not everyone is living there. Not to mention that the temperature outside has to be cold enough to be able to absorb the heat from around 1KW (maybe more) system fast enough for you not to feel it and the PC/gaming space has to be placed in a way to favor this and to no have all the cold from the outside (remember, has to be pretty cold to absorb all that heat), come at you as you game :))

Plus, I like to game with the curtains shut (so in low light), meaning even tougher for air to get in or out.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's too bad the x70 got gimped this time as well, could've been such a sweet deal. The 4080 looking like the best overall option again. I guess we'll see if AMD can put up a fight, we still have no real leaks for them, or indeed for RT - which is the crucial part.

wDSA4aF.jpg.png

Caporegime
It's too bad the x70 got gimped this time as well, could've been such a sweet deal. The 4080 looking like the best overall option again. I guess we'll see if AMD can put up a fight, we still have no real leaks for them, or indeed for RT - which is the crucial part.

wDSA4aF.jpg.png

4070 is about 10% faster than the 3080, that's not bad.

I am a bit worried about the 160 Bit Bus tho

V F

V F

Soldato
I dont know, I have not bought a case for a decade - my Corsair Carbide Air is doing a grand job as it was a long term investment. Are the latest fad of cases completely devoid of good airflow design I take it?

As others have pointed out too, the room temp will get uncomfortable unless you open a window and plan to play games in your underpants! :cry:

as god intended!

I've heard about those people. Usually sitting on leather couches.

I remember a time those Carbide AIR 540 cases were a new look and style to dual chamber cases. It looked so big back then compared to today and the fact you could get two 240mm radiators inside.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I remember a time those Carbide AIR 540 cases were a new look and style to dual chamber cases. It looked so big back then compared to today.

I agree it is quite wide but I don't tend to mind looks these days and have enough room that desk estate isn't much of a problem. The beauty is its room for expansion and working in, then decent airflow. I have also modded the side panel for a fan to either extract or blow onto the VRM area. Cant see it being replaced any time soon it would have to be an awesome case to make it worthwhile.

V F

V F

Soldato
What I noticed end of 2020 was the lack of good looking cases that are available. Either lots of plastic, glass and RGB. The tempered tinted glass is really nice but everyone followed with that just as they did RGB.

I really struggled to find a nice case. So many had weird angles, Transformers style the gamer look or massive ended curves.

Associate
I bought the Haf 700 evo and that should be a perfect case for the 4090. I’m just hoping there are water aio cooling options available at launch for the 4090. That would be sweet.

Back
Top Bottom