Zen ISP Default Gateway?

Associate
Trying to setup Asus router and need the WAN Default Gateway for custom IP/DNS setup. Does anyone know what this would be as Zen have been unable to provide me with the info

Man of Honour
Zen use PPPoE, all you should need is the username and password, put that in the PPPoE field within your router and it should authenticate.

Associate
OP
Yes it does work on Auto however I want to use custom DNS servers and everytime I put custom DNS servers in while on Auto IP it just forces back to the Zen DNS servers for some reason. I figured if I changed it to manual IP/DNS it may solve that but I can't use manual IP without the default gateway.

Not sure if anyone has come across this DNS issue with Zen? Perhaps I should create a separate thread?

Associate
OP

You can see here I am using PPPoE, have configured custom DNS on WAN side but the routers WAN status still shows Zen DNS IPs and my devices are using Zen DNS

Caporegime
What happens if you click the assign button on that DNS setting page?

Edit: Ah, you're using Zen's IPv6 DNS servers even though the router is using different ones for IPv4. That is either a bug in the router or they just didn't think about IPv6 when implementing the feature. As it's Asus they are unlikely to fix it since they already have your money.

Associate
OP
What happens if you click the assign button on that DNS setting page?

Edit: Ah, you're using Zen's IPv6 DNS servers even though the router is using different ones for IPv4. That is either a bug in the router or they just didn't think about IPv6 when implementing the feature. As it's Asus they are unlikely to fix it since they already have your money.
Even though IPv6 is disabled on my router? Would it help if i enabled it and put it into 6to4 mode?
I have installed Merlin firmware on the router also and it had the same issue as stock I would have thought that kind of issue would have been resolved in the custom merlin firmware?
Also I'd be curious why user V_R isn't seeing the same issue as me?

Associate
OP
So even if I disable IPv6 on my device it still happens as reports Zen's IPv4 DNS addresses instead

Soldato
I'm not at home now to check my Asus router but I remember IPv6 DNS settings is in a completely different area.

On the left side, you should see IPv6 under Advanced Settings, and the IPv6 DNS settings should be there.

Pasteboard also removed one of your images, maybe try Imgur like suggested earlier?

Associate
OP
I'm not at home now to check my Asus router but I remember IPv6 DNS settings is in a completely different area.

On the left side, you should see IPv6 under Advanced Settings, and the IPv6 DNS settings should be there.

Pasteboard also removed one of your images, maybe try Imgur like suggested earlier?
Yeah I know where the IPv6 settings are, I've currently got IPv6 completely disabled. I was more curious what your WAN & DNS settings looked like on the main WAN page. I also was also curious why it would be showing Zens IPv6 DNS servers when I have IPv6 switched off and whether forcing the router to tunnel IPv6 to IPv4 might solve the issue.

I will upload all images to an Imgur folder

Soldato
Yeah I know where the IPv6 settings are, I've currently got IPv6 completely disabled. I was more curious what your WAN & DNS settings looked like on the main WAN page. I also was also curious why it would be showing Zens IPv6 DNS servers when I have IPv6 switched off and whether forcing the router to tunnel IPv6 to IPv4 might solve the issue.

I will upload all images to an Imgur folder
Chances are Zen is doing some sort of tunnelling/translation so even if you force IPv6 off, it still allows you to receive IPv6 traffic. I suggest turning it back on and making sure Quad9's IPv6 DNS servers is entered here, circled green (image grabbed from Asus's support site):
icjPVZQl.png.jpg

Associate
OP
Chances are Zen is doing some sort of tunnelling/translation so even if you force IPv6 off, it still allows you to receive IPv6 traffic. I suggest turning it back on and making sure Quad9's IPv6 DNS servers is entered here, circled green (image grabbed from Asus's support site):
So I've tried that and I am not getting any IPv6 details populating in the IPv6 area even after a reboot...

Soldato
Maybe try the expanded IPv6 address in case it's the Asus router not like the short version:
2620:fe:0:0:0:0:0:fe
2620:fe:0:0:0:0:0:9
I'll have a look when I get home what my settings are, but I'm not with Zen, I'm with BT and I use Cloudflare's DNS servers. What's the site you're using to check what DNS server is being used? I'll see if it actually works for me.

Associate
OP
I'll have a look when I get home what my settings are, but I'm not with Zen, I'm with BT and I use Cloudflare's DNS servers. What's the site you're using to check what DNS server is being used? I'll see if it actually works for me.
Hmm I've tried the expanded version and that hasn't worked. In the router's log area it shows the IPv6 status and there is no WAN IPv6 address

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom