Golf Thread

Soldato
Confirmation that I finished 3rd in the 2nd class in the Open on Sunday (£50 voucher) - Nearest the pin at the 3rd (£25 voucher) and I won the main prize in the raffle.... A Ping cart bag!!!

Jesus wept - I really don't need another bag (Already got cart bag and pencil bag) - Will hopefully see if pro shop will just give me credit for it as they put the prize up in the first place!

Associate
Or chuck it on facebook marketplace, for pickup in your area - should get a bunch for it, if its new! (no fees)

Congrats, that's awesome! Hold your head up high.

Soldato
It was horrendous on Monday night - literally just got my waterproofs dry 2 days later! (Ayrshire weather for you!!)
Haven't seen a drop for weeks don in Kent. Greens are being kept watered but all courses I've visited recently have next to no grass on fairways. Run out is insane. Hit a positional 5-i from 310 out to what should have left me 100 in and I only had 62 in! Rolled an extra 38 yards for a total of 248!

Associate
Anyone had a driver fitting through American Golf and care to feedback?

Started having a hit at the driving range back in 2020 as it was one of the first facilities to open back up during the height of the pandemic, used to play a bit (very badly!) a long time ago. Had a few lessons with the local pro and got fitted for a set of irons which I purchased through the pro shop, Taylor Made Sim Max 5i - PW. Did have a hit of a driver on my final lesson, Sim 2 Max, but at over £400 I didn't want to be spending that much when at present I am just going down to the range for a bit of fun. All the drivers he could fit for were £££.

Given American Golf have many more options I thought they may be worth giving a go? Didn't want to spend more than around £250.

Soldato
My father in-law works for Under Armour golf and if you even mention American Golf he's not happy. Definitely do not get a fitting there, or buy clubs on their recommendations. Go to a PGA professional or you're wasting money is his advice.

Associate
To play devils advocate, I think each AG store has different staff. So as long as they're properly trained and they're decent fitters, it shouldn't be a problem.
Although, if you're looking for a top fitter try to find some reviews from people who have bought from there to see if they're good or not.

Associate
My father in-law works for Under Armour golf and if you even mention American Golf he's not happy. Definitely do not get a fitting there, or buy clubs on their recommendations. Go to a PGA professional or you're wasting money is his advice.
I got my irons fitted at AG and I've got say the guy that helped me was brilliant. Comparing the stuff he was talking about in regards to the Trackman to the pro I go to for lessons, there wasn't too much different in the explanations. I asked my instructor if my irons were right after I got them or if I'd been bumped and he said everything was spot-on with the length, lie angle, loft, grip etc. The guy at AG explained everything seeing as I'm new to golf in the grand scheme of things regarding lofts, lie angles, and so on in Layman's terms and never just went 'aye, they're right for you'. Only had to wait 4 weeks last year to get them as well, ordered in the middle of August and had them by mid-September - AG phoned me every so often as well to keep me updated on the status of them. They even chucked in a free Cobra hat to go with my irons! :D

Like MarkA said, every store is different and I have heard horror stories from people who have been fitted in other AG stores!

Soldato
yeah - I went to "Affordable Golf" store - which used to be American Golf before....

Was wary of the pushy sales that might occur - I knew my own specs of existing irons but wanted to see what they suggested/fitted.

Couldn't have been a more pleasant/enjoyable experience - 45 minutes fitting appointment - I was there for 90 minutes, no hurry up, tried tons of irons/shaft combo's etc. Really nice guy, let me go back and try them again on the main range.... Guy was knowledge, good chat, no rush etc.

Bought them, used online code for discount in store - they kept me updated on timescales etc. Overall 10/10

I agree however it can be very store dependent.

Commissario
The Watford one was great too, I bought my current driver from there years ago and went in last year saying how it didn't feel right any more, did I need to change anything with it. Ended up getting a 30 minute lesson from them it was me that needed changing and not the club - no pushy sales or anything!

Soldato
Anyone had a driver fitting through American Golf and care to feedback?

Started having a hit at the driving range back in 2020 as it was one of the first facilities to open back up during the height of the pandemic, used to play a bit (very badly!) a long time ago. Had a few lessons with the local pro and got fitted for a set of irons which I purchased through the pro shop, Taylor Made Sim Max 5i - PW. Did have a hit of a driver on my final lesson, Sim 2 Max, but at over £400 I didn't want to be spending that much when at present I am just going down to the range for a bit of fun. All the drivers he could fit for were £££.

Given American Golf have many more options I thought they may be worth giving a go? Didn't want to spend more than around £250.

I've recently been fitted for my hybrids and driver through American Golf at their Three Hammers mega store here in the West Midlands.

Feedback from the day and some general thoughts.
Firstly I chose AG at Three Hammers due to their fitting bay looking out over a TopTracer Range. Their use of both Trackman and TopTracer gave me the visual and numbers I wanted. Being able to see your ball flight and not just trust a computer after hitting into a net is a must. Especially with AG. Find a fitting centre with the above.

Secondly, my fitter actually knew what she was doing. She asked all the right questions and then had me hitting my 5iron to warm up followed by getting numbers from my 3 and 4 hybrids so she could gap and compare. No pushing to a particular brand and allowed me to try Titlist, Ping, Taylormade and then the winner Cobra.

Lastly, driver fitting. I am a high spinning player (hit down on the ball) so as she said loft is my friend. Straight away she grabbed the new 10.5deg LTDx-LS driver. Driver spin was down at 2800 with a stiff shaft so switched to an x-flex (swing speed was AV 107mph), spin dropped to 2400rpm and dispersion and distance improved.
Personally I didn't try any other drivers as I'd always played a mini driver. Shaft length and size of driver head is important to me and Cobra ticked all the boxes. I just need to get used to a longer shaft as previously I was using a 44" mini driver.

On a whole my experience was top notch. Cannot complain with the service I received and will definitely return if I need too.

Although, as others on here will vouch, I'm a big fan of Scottsdale Golf in Warrington. Their Performance and Build centre is just amazing. Service is second to none.

Soldato
Looking at joining a new club.
Going over to visit The Astbury https://theastbury.com/golf-club/the-astbury-golf-club-course/
Unsure if it's the setup for myself, appears slightly pretentious, but the course itself is simply stunning and playable 365 days a year.

Trouble with myself is all local clubs don't appeal for different reasons. I'm finding I'm having to travel a good 30/40mins to a course I like. A little frustrating.

It's also where https://meandmygolf.com were originally based.

Soldato
Looking at joining a new club.
Going over to visit The Astbury https://theastbury.com/golf-club/the-astbury-golf-club-course/
Unsure if it's the setup for myself, appears slightly pretentious, but the course itself is simply stunning and playable 365 days a year.

Trouble with myself is all local clubs don't appeal for different reasons. I'm finding I'm having to travel a good 30/40mins to a course I like. A little frustrating.

It's also where https://meandmygolf.com were originally based.

Some golf clubs can always have that "air" about them.

Couple of clubs near me - St Cuthberts / St Nicholas - Both within a mile of me..... One is known as working mans club and the other is the more "upper" one, or so it likes to think.

You'll always have that with clubs - golf clubs/memers can be, and still is, very pretentious at times.

St Cuthberts - I can literally hit a pw from my garden on to the 1st tee... 90 seconds walk to clubhouse, but i'm not a member. Why? - Course is very very good condition 90% of the year, always stunning greens etc - but.... I just don't find the course that interesting - very very flat, all the par 3's are pretty much the same distance (180/167/174/163)....

Make sure you join a course/club you enjoy playing - the course is the main reason your joining, not the membership.....

Soldato
Some golf clubs can always have that "air" about them.

Couple of clubs near me - St Cuthberts / St Nicholas - Both within a mile of me..... One is known as working mans club and the other is the more "upper" one, or so it likes to think.

You'll always have that with clubs - golf clubs/memers can be, and still is, very pretentious at times.

St Cuthberts - I can literally hit a pw from my garden on to the 1st tee... 90 seconds walk to clubhouse, but i'm not a member. Why? - Course is very very good condition 90% of the year, always stunning greens etc - but.... I just don't find the course that interesting - very very flat, all the par 3's are pretty much the same distance (180/167/174/163)....

Make sure you join a course/club you enjoy playing - the course is the main reason your joining, not the membership.....

Completely agree.
local courses to myself:
Dudley = Far to hilly. built on side of an old quarry.
Hagley = Pompus members and very very wet. only playable 4 months of the year at best
Stourbridge = Lovely course, playable 365, well maintained but 4 holes cross each other which I don't like
Halesowen = Built across 3 fields. Not a very exciting course. Dull as dishwater
Kidderminster = Very wet. Although lovely it's not playable all year
Whorton Park = Currently a member, but only playable March/April - Oct. Holes closed, matts used on fairways through the winter, temp tees, temp greens. Disappointed really.

Worfield = This is where i'd be a member if the current owner hadn't of thrown his toys out the pram and closed it. This is a stunning course and could be even better with the right owner. http://www.worfieldgolfclub.co.uk

Another course on my doorstep is Enville. 2 x 18 hole championship courses. This place is outstanding. But the first year fees topping out at over £3k is off putting. Plus there is at least a 2 year waiting list to join :eek:

There are others nearby which I need to try. Playing Perton Park tomorrow, nice course but very flat. Nothing too exciting.
It's frustrating to find somewhere

Soldato
I splurged and upgraded my Kirkland wedges to some proper fitted Vokeys (52,56 & 58) which finally came last week. Even as a mid handicapper I can really feel the difference. I got them in the black finish and will look better with age as the patina.

Back
Top Bottom