Mountain Biking

Soldato
Picked up a Saracen Myst X DH rig this weekend... Anyone at Inners this Sat and fancy smashin some trails?

Nice, got pics? We definately need to sort out that Stiniog meet now!

Update to the issues with my Occam:
Recieved an email from LBS yesterday saying that Orbea are sending me a replacement front triangle under warranty. Did have to push for the replacement or anything like that. Pretty happy with their customer service so far :)

Soldato
Nice, got pics? We definately need to sort out that Stiniog meet now!

Update to the issues with my Occam:
Recieved an email from LBS yesterday saying that Orbea are sending me a replacement front triangle under warranty. Did have to push for the replacement or anything like that. Pretty happy with their customer service so far :)

Will take some tonight mate, taking her to a local place tonight for the first time.

I'm going to be doing all the bike parks in Wales, @Hedge is coming along for a couple rides too. 18th - 26/27th of Aug.
Plan to hit them all really:
- BPW
- BMCC
- Cwmcarn
- DyFi
- Stinni
- Revs

Nice one getting that replacement too!

Soldato

Saracen Myst X 2019. Was Danny Harts, he only rode it a couple times and it's sat in his garage for 3 years. Picked it up £2640 all in (£2.6 for the bike, £40 for the burgtec pedals). Mechanic slapped on new rotors and pads for me, gave it a full service, bleed etc.

Had it round the local last night and set PRs on all but one of the main trails there lol. Was solo and not pushing for that reason + new bike. I smashed 12 seconds off one trail and never thought I'd get near that PR in a long time. DH's just rip through way better I guess! Mega chuffed with it, can't wait for Inners tomorrow now.

Soldato

Saracen Myst X 2019. Was Danny Harts, he only rode it a couple times and it's sat in his garage for 3 years. Picked it up £2640 all in (£2.6 for the bike, £40 for the burgtec pedals). Mechanic slapped on new rotors and pads for me, gave it a full service, bleed etc.

Had it round the local last night and set PRs on all but one of the main trails there lol. Was solo and not pushing for that reason + new bike. I smashed 12 seconds off one trail and never thought I'd get near that PR in a long time. DH's just rip through way better I guess! Mega chuffed with it, can't wait for Inners tomorrow now.

Looks great, is that 29 or 27.5? Let us know which park your at on either the Saturday or Sunday and I'll see if I can tag along

Soldato
You will find cross-country mountain bikes with a weight of around 10.8kg or 24lbs. It is the lightest type in the market today. The frame of a cross-country mountain bike is extremely lightweight and made of aluminum or carbon fiber. The lightest type is made of carbon fiber bike frame but can be more expensive.

Erm....thanks for the info....? :p

Soldato
Looks great, is that 29 or 27.5? Let us know which park your at on either the Saturday or Sunday and I'll see if I can tag along

27.5 mate!

Dates are booked:
BPW - 18th
BMCC - 19th
DyFi - 21st
Stinni - 22nd

Come along and drop me on the trails if you can make it :D

Soldato
just snapped the drive side crankarm on my 2004 Giant
I believe the bottom bracket type is ISIS, should I just source a replacement crankset, or upgrade the bottom bracket/crankset to a newer type ?
What type of bottom bracket would I need that would still fit the frame ?

Soldato
just snapped the drive side crankarm on my 2004 Giant
I believe the bottom bracket type is ISIS, should I just source a replacement crankset, or upgrade the bottom bracket/crankset to a newer type ?
What type of bottom bracket would I need that would still fit the frame ?
Honsetly, if you are replacing cranks and have a standard BSA Bottom bracket theres no reason not to upgrade to Shimano hollowtech II the BB's are cheap and effective and the cranks are affordable and tough.
Isis is pretty much a dead standard, its still available but I wouldnt waste money on it when the Shimano 24mm standard axle is so much better.

Soldato

Damn I miss having a DH bike so much, looks mint! There is something special about how a DH bike rides, just inspires so much confidence! :D
I just cant justify having one at the moment. Mark my words though I will have one again. As soon as I'm located in reasonable vicinity of enough Vertical terrain. The Commencal Clash is great it just isnt a DH bike though.

Soldato
Honsetly, if you are replacing cranks and have a standard BSA Bottom bracket theres no reason not to upgrade to Shimano hollowtech II the BB's are cheap and effective and the cranks are affordable and tough.
Isis is pretty much a dead standard, its still available but I wouldnt waste money on it when the Shimano 24mm standard axle is so much better.
Having looked at prices I think crank +bb is going to be cheaper.

What exactly am I looking for though?

Really needs to be triple ring if possible though for the least amount of hassle.
This bike is not for offroad so doesn't get much abuse.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Having looked at prices I think crank +bb is going to be cheaper.

What exactly am I looking for though?

Really needs to be triple ring if possible though for the least amount of hassle.
This bike is not for offroad so doesn't get much abuse.

Depending on what you use the bike for and if any other parts of the drivetrain need replacing soon you still might be much better off with a 1x system. No faff with maintenance, no faff with front mechs and its super easy to get the shifting dialled in nicely. With the right rear cassette you wouldn't have any issues with range either. Loads of gravel bikes are 1x now and they are designed to be ridden on and off road up to a point.

Soldato
Depending on what you use the bike for and if any other parts of the drivetrain need replacing soon you still might be much better off with a 1x system. No faff with maintenance, no faff with front mechs and its super easy to get the shifting dialled in nicely. With the right rear cassette you wouldn't have any issues with range either. Loads of gravel bikes are 1x now and they are designed to be ridden on and off road up to a point.
Its on skinny tyres and I essentially use it like a road bike.
Although it does have front suspension and a spare set set of wider tyres should I ever decide to take it offroad.

I have a newer full sus bike with 27" rims for off roading.

So for this particular use case I would like to replace the minimum amount of parts at the cheapest cost (although don't want parts made from chinesium)
Ideal world I think would be new BB and triple chainset, I just need to know what exactly I am looking for so i don't end up with something that isn't compatible with my frame/drivetrain.

Back
Top Bottom