Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Folks... Im a bit confused about FTTP.

I called Sky who claimed I can get the fastest gigabit connection.
But I havent seen anyone near my property installing open reach.
Am I right in saying they have to bring fibre right to the property?

We have no telegraph poles or anything like that in our area, I wonder do they have to dig up the ground to lay the fibre to the property? Or am I geting the wrong end of the stick here?

Man of Honour
Folks... Im a bit confused about FTTP.

I called Sky who claimed I can get the fastest gigabit connection.
But I havent seen anyone near my property installing open reach.
Am I right in saying they have to bring fibre right to the property?

We have no telegraph poles or anything like that in our area, I wonder do they have to dig up the ground to lay the fibre to the property? Or am I geting the wrong end of the stick here?
It’s most likely going to use the underground ducts.

Associate
If the VM Hub can't deal with hair pinning (and it wouldn't surprise me if it can't) then you'll either need to access the cameras using their internal IP address or put the VM Hub into modem mode and use a different router that supports hair pinning,
Thanks mate looks like you are spot on. The old hub 3 did support it.
Oh well I’ll have to look into this when I have more time I have just run a Cat5e cable to the office to get full speed in there! Just waiting for the switch to be delivered.

Soldato
I see. But... weve not had anyone round here digging up the roads.... or is it using existing infrastructure?

They don't need to dig up the road a lot of the times, they'll often only dig if they have to excavate to clear blockages.

They've likely blown the fibre underground into the existing conduit running around your area, no digging required for that they just open up the chambers. It can be a very swift and non-invasive job, so you may well have not even noticed the day they did the work.

For the actual install, the Openreach engineer would just need to blow a fibre to your property and fit the ONT.

Associate
Is there any way to predict what kind of Virgin service I am likely to get in my area? In theory if I know how many people use it I can see how over subscribed it will be?

When I lived at my parents back in the blueyonder days it was amazing but now I'm very cautious about touching them again especially when it comes to gaming.... But my current 45mb down vs 1 gig down is tempting....

Permabanned
Is there any way to predict what kind of Virgin service I am likely to get in my area? In theory if I know how many people use it I can see how over subscribed it will be?

When I lived at my parents back in the blueyonder days it was amazing but now I'm very cautious about touching them again especially when it comes to gaming.... But my current 45mb down vs 1 gig down is tempting....

Not really, but you could try looking on the community forums or googling for issues......may be a bit "needle in a haystack" unfortunately.

There is a cooling off cancellation period I think, so if its dross you can bin it off?

Associate
Not really, but you could try looking on the community forums or googling for issues......may be a bit "needle in a haystack" unfortunately.

There is a cooling off cancellation period I think, so if its dross you can bin it off?
cheers. yeah just a bit hestitant even though as you say I think you get 14 days. the better internet dashboard website kind of tells me how many people have it i think.

like this for example:

Screenshot-2022-08-08-124228.png

But not sure if that's 100% accurate.

Associate
Well, my area according that dashboard is slightly more populated with VM users and, touch wood, my connection has been fairly solid for 10 years at this house.

Unsure its helpful or not..... :)

yeah suppose it all depends, my mum and dad have Virgin but prob use 1% of the connection vs say a family of 4 on the street ... would make a big difference lol.

just going to have to roll the dice i think. cheers for the replies

Soldato
I've moving on Thursday and I've asked them to port my deal for £20. I'll see how we get on for a month then decide. If you could move and FTTP was available - would you guys be tempted by EE/BT? I get a discount on EE as I have a phone with them but not sure if BT is a better option as they're the carrier anyway.

Or would you stay Virgin?

Caporegime
cheers. yeah just a bit hestitant even though as you say I think you get 14 days. the better internet dashboard website kind of tells me how many people have it i think.

like this for example:

Screenshot-2022-08-08-124228.png

But not sure if that's 100% accurate.

That's not what those dots are. They are from ThinkBroadband data and they reflect postcode availability of services.

Permabanned
I've moving on Thursday and I've asked them to port my deal for £20. I'll see how we get on for a month then decide. If you could move and FTTP was available - would you guys be tempted by EE/BT? I get a discount on EE as I have a phone with them but not sure if BT is a better option as they're the carrier anyway.

While I dont have much of an issue with my connection I think I would likely move, just to try out something else/the improved latency on fibre.

That said VM will be doing 2gig connections at some point and if they can improve their network.......

Man of Honour

100% FTTP. EE use BT, so get whatever is cheaper after cash back deals and any extras you want.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom