• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
With those sorts of games in mind and that res, you can run all of them maxed out with high frames on a 3080 Ti for under £1000 saving yourself over £600 and then factoring in you won't need to buy a new PSU as well.

You would need to upgrade the CPU if you wanted to bump the 1% lows though at that res. This is the path I went through in the new year. Massive uplift in those lows.
Did the same as well, upgraded to Alder lake platform with a 12700k and the 1% lows plus minimum frame rates jumped massively! Got a lot of my random stutters as well as reducing my frame latency.

Soldato
Most of those racing titles if not all would benefit far more ftom cpu and gpu... That cpu is holding 4090 by its fan blades...

With those sorts of games in mind and that res, you can run all of them maxed out with high frames on a 3080 Ti for under £1000 saving yourself over £600 and then factoring in you won't need to buy a new PSU as well.

You would need to upgrade the CPU if you wanted to bump the 1% lows though at that res. This is the path I went through in the new year. Massive uplift in those lows.
Thanks guys, wondering if I should try and grab a 5800x3D instead for now and avoid the full upgrade...

Soldato
Performance in-line with what Nvidia revealed, definitely very impressive on the RT front, but DLSS 3 disappoints - very clearly not a fully baked feature at launch. Also the efficiency is very good too, which is a great thing, though I still haven't seen how good the overall power management is, as that was a big downside of Ampere vs RDNA 2. Overall I think their misstep with DLSS 3 has given RDNA 3 a chance, though they will have to bring some serious RT improvements to the table, else no one will buy an AMD card above $500 after what Lovelace is showing.

Uff, another month of waiting. :(

Man of Honour
Did the same as well, upgraded to Alder lake platform with a 12700k and the 1% lows plus minimum frame rates jumped massively! Got a lot of my random stutters as well as reducing my frame latency.
12700 club represent!
Thanks guys, wondering if I should try and grab a 5800x3D instead for now and avoid the full upgrade...
5800X3D is a bit of a monster for gaming, you would definitely see an uplift there alone for frame consistency as well as in general anyway. Allows you time to see what the pricing settles to for the new cards, and maybe even a further price drop for the last remaining 3080/90 cards too. Logically this makes the most sense I think.

Or as mentioned above, wait a small bit longer and weigh up the whole CPU/GPU situation when the new stuff is out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't that slightly misrepresented, the 3090ti msrp at launch was $2000 wasn't it and my 3090 at launch was £1399 ($1499) not $950. That being said it doesn't detract that £1700 for a top end GPU is mind boggling, I was willing to pay that for my 3090 at the time as it was covid, I was not spending anywhere near as much going out/holidays etc. and it was nearly impossible to get another gpu at msrp. Things have changed and I'm far less enticed by the prospect now especially after just buying a house and having my first kid 5 weeks ago! :D I'm lucky that I can afford luxury items such as this but I'm just not willing to part with it this time around, not until AMD have at least shown their hand.

The 4080 series are looking like they will flop massively compared to the 3090's (bodes well for my resale value).
The 4090 is average of 60% faster than a 3090ti it also has 52% more cuda, the 4080 16 has around 9% less so its not going to be much faster.

Soldato
I've watched several reviews and while I'm impressed with the performance uplift over my 3090 I'm not impressed with the price.

I did pick out that in many games you do not need DLSS to game at 4k with RT on and still get ~60 fps.

One thing J2C highlighted was the connector; I hope that 180 degree angle connectors will arrive swiftly.

I have the funds to buy one but I'm going to sleep on it.

Associate
Weird so many reviewers keep giving percentage compared to 3090ti numbers instead of the comparable card, the 3090. 3090 it's 80-100% improvement in most cases at 4K/Max. As I 3090 owner I guess I find that number more meaningful, but comparing to 3090ti makes no sense to me at all. It's just confusing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Weird so many reviewers keep giving it percentage about 3090ti numbers instead of the comparable card, the 3090. 3090 it's 80-100% improvement in most cases at 4K/Max. As I 3090 owner I guess I find that number more meaningful, but comparing to 3090ti makes no sense to me at all. It's just confusing.

The current halo vs the previous halo. It was always going to be compared with the best that was available.

Back
Top Bottom