Been offered a job. Leaning to yes (currently jobless)

Caporegime
So had my. First job offer.
Feel package is OK. Salary is a tad less than I was on. Which obviously with way inflation is its a pay cut.

Job is with a consultancy.

Better:
-private healthcare
-consultancy experience
-Friday afternoon off
-1 more day holiday

Negative
-other potential jobs (not. Gone to offer) have been up to 50000 and this is 42500

I'm more yes than no. Just wondering about absolute salary. As from experience in my area moving jobs is what gets you the salary increase.

A side positive. I got 10k from my other job that I'm gradually eating into. Sooner I take a job the better in that regard.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
In theory a consultancy should pay more, especially if they sent you out to clients all week and expect you to do more work on top.

A job is a job though and good experience either way.

Last edited:
Soldato
No bonus from the consultancy? I'd have expected something based on hitting utilisation targets etc.

As mentioned above, i'd usually expect Consultancy to be a higher salary than an "internal" role too, and £43k seems lowish too given i'm sure you've mentioned a decent job experience in other threads. I'd likely take it though, it's a great way to get loads of experience and likely progress quickly.

Caporegime
OP
I guess if I do end up having to wait until after Christmas I'll have eaten up a lot of "savings" as must be getting close to that 'cut off' now.

Yeah I did hope for more. I think reason it's lower (well reason I've been told) is I don't have the experience in consulting.

Its Microsoft gold too.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
See how it goes. You might end up loving it and the fact you seem to get more time off is only a good thing. Ok the salary is a bit less, but if you can make it work, it puts your foot back in the door which is better than not. If the role is interesting explore it. There's more to life than just big salariés as long as it is affordable.

It might be that after your probation you could potentially negotiate something more if you demonstrate your capability. That's what I did in my current role, they adjusted my salary based on what I had achieved in my first 6 months. Admittedly I won't be getting a pay rise any time soon though!

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
No bonus from the consultancy? I'd have expected something based on hitting utilisation targets etc.

As mentioned above, i'd usually expect Consultancy to be a higher salary than an "internal" role too, and £43k seems lowish too given i'm sure you've mentioned a decent job experience in other threads. I'd likely take it though, it's a great way to get loads of experience and likely progress quickly.

Apparently.
I've asked what this is as I've just been told there is a bonus. Waiting on details.

I haz 4090!
Don
Don't look too much into the "We're a gold partner!!" tactic, as there are literally thousands of them. In fact, the gold thing doesn't even apply anymore as MS have changed the categories.

What area will you be consulting in? As others have said, defo push for a bonus; I haven't had a consultancy job that didn't come with a guaranteed bonus.

Caporegime
OP
Standard permanent positions I've been put forward for at usually 45-50. But obviously nothing is guaranteed and I'm only in stage 1 interviews (both pre and post stage 1).

Just heard back.
Bonus is small. Like. 2-3k. So nothing exciting there. Pension is also basic standard unfortunately too.

Its a tricky one. I'm leaning to yes. But also. Wondering what might be in some of the other processes I'm in.

Caporegime
OP
Don't look too much into the "We're a gold partner!!" tactic, as there are literally thousands of them. In fact, the gold thing doesn't even apply anymore as MS have changed the categories.

What area will you be consulting in? As others have said, defo push for a bonus; I haven't had a consultancy job that didn't come with a guaranteed bonus.

Heard this before about MS gold.

Yeah bonus is negligible really.

Soldato
I don't understand why you wouldn't? What would be your reasoning to not go for it? You can always quit if you find a better one next week.

Caporegime
OP
I don't understand why you wouldn't? What would be your reasoning to not go for it? You can always quit if you find a better one next week.

This is true. Nothing stopping me just doing the dick move.

I thif the renumeration package was more 48-50 with good pension I'd be more "yes I want this". But it's all a bit lower than I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom